• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

custom 10/22 triggers

mewillis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2002
Florida
I just noticed the Ruger BX triggers, not a bad option but is the Kidd trigger worth 2+x the cost? I'm looking for bang for the buck. Curious about actual users of either not just random opinions. I'm looking for .5-.75" groups @100yds with a factory 20" bull barrel setup.

I went to a show where I could test every available 10/22 trigger all in one booth.

Short answer the Kidd was by far the best without question.

I have been shooting a full Kidd build for several years now. Worth every penny in my opinion.

I have the single and two stage Kidd triggers. I prefer the two stage but the single is also excellent. I also have a Kidd 20" barrel. None of these items either in combination or separately will give me .50 to .75" inch groups at 100 yards. I believe your expectations are a bit ambitious.

With that having been said I hope you achieve them.

dgb

After my post above I began to question my comment as it was based on my own experience which is certainly not worldly. I had a look at the 6x5 entries and found it interesting and informative. You should have a look as well as I think it gives a well rounded perspective on not just the 10/22 but capabilities of rimfire in general.
dgb

KIDD trigger is very nice,. however, upgrading the trigger is not going to magically get you sub-inch groups.

Reactions: mewillis
I just noticed the Ruger BX triggers, not a bad option but is the Kidd trigger worth 2+x the cost? I'm looking for bang for the buck. Curious about actual users of either not just random opinions. I'm looking for .5-.75" groups @100yds with a factory 20" bull barrel setup.
As long as the hammer has not been lightened, and the trigger pull weight is light enough that it’s not causing a shifting in the marriage of barrel/stock/receiver, the trigger will have zero effect on group size.
Now, that said, what pull weight do you generally prefer, and do you like single or two stage triggers?

Kidd 2 stage is by far the best trigger available for the 10/22 platform. .5 in 100yd groups are possible with a 10/22 but if you ever reach that accuracy level there won't be anything factory Ruger left in your gun!.

I’ve got a Kidd on an otherwise complete TacSol setup and some Ruger triggers (both basic and BX) re-worked by Brimstone, level 2 jobs I think, on some other 10/22’s. A Brimstone isn’t a bad route to go for a plinker but for serious chootin’ it’s Kidd hands down - worth the investment. I need to get one of his barrels. That’s just my dos centavos….

I appreciate all the sage advice and understand there are many variables to the 10/22 platform, I will seriously consider the Kidd

As long as the hammer has not been lightened, and the trigger pull weight is light enough that it’s not causing a shifting in the marriage of barrel/stock/receiver, the trigger will have zero effect on group size.
Now, that said, what pull weight do you generally prefer, and do you like single or two stage triggers?
Currently I only have a stock takedown version but I have a standard Talo version on the way , I will go single stage on this rifle. Just trying to be realistic on my expectations without going too far down the proverbial rabbit hole.

Currently I only have a stock takedown version but I have a standard Talo version on the way , I will go single stage on this rifle. Just trying to be realistic on my expectations without going too far down the proverbial rabbit hole.
If you are patient and attentive to detail, the existing design can be modded to below 1lb single stage.
(Roughly 12oz)

Kidd triggers are the textbook example of "buy once cry once". Once you have one you will never wonder if it is the best. Otherwise you just spend time/money/energy chasing parts and kits. You can always sell your old trigger group to help offset the price.

I would agree Kidd all the way. My current go to rifle is a full Kidd build, and am very happy.
however thinking you can get repeatable 1/2 moa accuracy at 100 is a tall order. I honestly haven’t group tested mine at 100, but it is pretty hard to get that kind of performance even from a high end bolt gun.
my use has been prs and nrl22 events, and my dope starting with a solid 50 yard zero has held true projected out as far as 300 yards.