• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom 10/22

PCR

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2006
tempe, az
Just finished this 10/22 a few days ago and wanted to show you guys.

Started with a Ruger factory bolt and trigger assembly.
Trued the bolt.
Milled the receiver with integral rail from cold rolled with measurements off the bolt.
Contoured a 14 twist Shilen CM barrel to .940" no taper.
Chambered with a Bentz match reamer.
English Walnut stock inletted and shaped with classic cheek and Ruger grip and forend, finished in Pilkington clear, ebony forend tip, inletted sling studs, steel butt plate.

Ruger10223.jpg

Ruger10222.jpg

Ruger10221.jpg

Re: Custom 10/22

That stock is absolutely gorgeous (but that goes for the entire rifle)! Nothing like a fine piece of English walnut! Look forward to seeing how she shoots!!

I've got to build me a nice 10/22! The only rim fire I own is a P22. Those custom Rugers are just the coolest!!! Nice work.

Great job man. That stock is amazing. Just beautiful.

Fantastic! You let the cat out of the bag now,LOL.

Got any pics of other work you've done ?

Do you have a gunsmithing business?

Tell us about yourself a little bit if you don't mind
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fantastic! You let the cat out of the bag now,LOL.

smile.gif
</div></div>

Thanks a lot for the kind words guys. I'm in my last semester of a gunsmithing program at Yavapai in Prescott. On July 1st, I'll be moving back to Tempe and getting my shop organized. I may be building rifles with Keith at www.azprecisiongunsmithing.com out of my shop. Lots of planning right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DieTrying310</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks really good. What's your plans for it? Plinking? Varmint sniping?</div></div>

Mostly plinking and rabbit hunting I guess. I can't wait to see how accurate it will be with good ammo. I don't even have a scope for it yet. Too many projects.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fantastic! You let the cat out of the bag now,LOL.

smile.gif
</div></div>

Thanks a lot for the kind words guys. I'm in my last semester of a gunsmithing program at Yavapai in Prescott. On July 1st, I'll be moving back to Tempe and getting my shop organized. I may be building rifles with Keith at www.azprecisiongunsmithing.com out of my shop. Lots of planning right now. </div></div>

Oh OK...I'm putting it all together now.You guys will make a great team together!

If you end up coming out to the Azprc please bring that 10-22 I'd like to see it.

did you make this stock or is this purchased? if you made it, how much to reproduce it for someone else? Could be your first customer.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gjantzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you make this stock or is this purchased? if you made it, how much to reproduce it for someone else? Could be your first customer.......</div></div>

The stock was a semi inlet from Wenig. The barreled action had to be inletted to fit, then glass bedded from back of receiver to forend tip. The ebony forend tip was pegged and glassed, then inletted to fit.

We are responsible for a certain amount of gunsmithing work, which will determine our grade when graduating and I'll receive over $1800 labor credit for the stock alone.

These classic stocks are not cheap and usually are made for high end guns. The raw semi inlet before fitting and shaping alone is $240 delivered, plus ebony, inlet studs, butt plate etc... Then you have to wet sand in the oil finish. All in all, there is a tremendous amount of labor involved.

Bob Szweda is our stock instructor and does incredible work. He teaches fit, form, function and finishing. I found his training to be very important to understanding how to build a rifle that will shoot, look and feel right. There is a lot more to building a rifle correctly than machining the barreled action.

We are now inletting flat top McMillan stocks on the manual mill and the training that I received making classic wooden stocks has been invaluable here.

http://www.customstockmaker.com/stockgallery.html

My plans are to build competition, tactical and hunting rifles for the type of people that are on Snipershide.

Steve, I've been planning on attending an Azprc shoot and may see you there.

I'm in the process of finishing a sporterized 98 Mauser in an English walnut stock. I have to install a 3 position side swing safety and blue the bolt and shroud and it will be complete. I will post pictures when it's ready.

Thanks again to all for the comments.

beautiful work......it is nice to actually hear a story about our educational system working properly for a change.

Beautiful work.
If it shoots half as good as it looks that will be one fine rifle.

Just a heads up:
With a tight chamber like that in a 10-22 you will want to make sure that the extractor is tuned otherwise stovepipe jams will kick your butt.
By tuned I mean able to hold the case tightly against the bolt.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1849864

That little piece of information was priceless after chasing my tail for a couple weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCCCanuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AZ, what gunsmith school are you going to? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in my last semester of a gunsmithing program at Yavapai in Prescott. </div></div>

There ya go
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that stock is so nice you should burn your initials in there.

Very nice 10/22. Almost too nice to take out to the field... but im sure it shoot so good you'd just have to. </div></div>

no, do not do that to the stock....machine a buttplate with your Initials engraved into it...now that is classy....

That's nice Brad, I will have to check that out next time I come up. What scope are you going to mount on it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dt00083</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's nice Brad, I will have to check that out next time I come up. What scope are you going to mount on it?</div></div>

Hey Doug, thanks. I haven't looked at scopes yet. Funding too many projects at school and was happy to just get this project done so I can move on. It's been tested for extraction and ejection, so I know it runs. Bolt clearance in the custom receiver is about .002" per side and is smoooth! The receiver dimensions were changed to make it better. For example: Area behind the bolt stop has been lengthened to help remove bolt. Like I said, it's tight.
I'm open to suggestion on a scope.

Projects on going are:

.243 w/ 8 twist Match ss shilen @ 25", school reamer,true receiver, custom recoil lug, M700, McMillan varmint stock, black cerakote, VX3 6.5X20X40 scope. - Done! I'll keep this rifle.

.260 w/ 8 twist Match ss shilen w/ varmint contour @ 24", Match PT&G reamer .297 neck .060 Freebore 1 degree-30, true receiver, Timed and silver soldered tac. handle to bolt, M700, McMillan M40A1 w/ adj. cheek, Seekins-SP DBM, AICS mag., PT&G .703" fluted bolt w/ Tac. handle, cerakote. On-going. This build will be for sale.

7mm Rem. mag. w/ 9 twist Match ss shilen w/ varmint contour @24", Match PT&G reamer, true receiver, M700, McMillan M40A1 w/adj. cheek, pinned and bushed bolt w/ PT&G M16 magnum extractor, PT&G alum BDL bottom metal, cerakote. This will be my Coues deer hunting rifle.

Inletting a flat top McMillan for an M700 7 Rum. Will set back factory bbl, true receiver, PT&G .250" lug, full length bed, Install swivel studs, Install butt pad, cerakote stock. This is for a friend.

38 Super in 1911, Caspian Commander slide and Compact frame. This is a complete fit, form, function and finish build and is my second 1911. I built a Caspian Commander in 45 ACP last semester. Trying to take advantage of the knowledge here. The head instructor knows a lot about 1911. Ed Brown guts, Storm Lake bbl. This will be my carry pistol and is almost done. Still have to ream chamber to depth, tune extractor, tune ejector, surface finish and blue.

Plus lots of other projects. This is a great time for us at school. We have a lot of freedom and complete support of the head instructor, Alan Lohr. There's a lot of knowledge in this program and I'm just trying to soak in as much as I can.

Dr. Phil,

Thanks for the info!