• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom 22x47 rifle

ShipAhoy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2017
I recently took delivery of a wildcat cartridged rifle in 22x47. The brass started life as 6.5x47 Lapua and took considerable time to resize and turn the necks of 500 pieces.

This gun shoots a .224 SMK 95gr bullet at around 3200fps. The correction at 1000 yds is 5.9 mils.

This past week the wind was 10 - 15 mph and this rifle was hitting clay pigeons at 600 yards with zero hold for wind.

Built by Tom Sarver at Thunder Valley Precision with a Huber trigger, Surgeon action, Kreiger 27" barrel with a 6.25 twist and a PSE stock, Atlas bipod. I am using a Nighforce ATACR 7-35 x 56 F1 scope.

71492729_2416198348598261_7742116023523868672_o.jpg

they're fun. i have a 22LRV from West Texas Ordnance. watching the trace out to 1k is amusing and with 95s they still hit pretty decent compared to a 105 from a Dasher/etc

Reactions: ShipAhoy
That's nice! BUT barrel life will suffer greatly and when the barrel gets firecracked those long bullets might be coming apart sooner than later.

Average barrel life for my 6x47 barrels was 1700 rounds, I'd be surprised if you got 1000.

I did a 20x47L varmint barrel and had the 55's blowing up by 300 rounds down the pipe.

My 223AI barrel with 88's has started doing weird things with only 300 rounds. If I clean it good that seems to make the difference??!! Might have to try the 95's and hope the 7 twist will work.

Hey man if you have the $ for extra barrels then who cares about barrel life, right?!

Reactions: ShipAhoy
We're hoping for 1500 rounds for barrel life but time will tell. I only have 200 rounds through it so far. The max I shoot is five rounds before allowing the barrel to cool. And I keep the barrel very very clean.
Extra barrels aren't a problem. ?

That's nice! BUT barrel life will suffer greatly and when the barrel gets firecracked those long bullets might be coming apart sooner than later.

Average barrel life for my 6x47 barrels was 1700 rounds, I'd be surprised if you got 1000.

I did a 20x47L varmint barrel and had the 55's blowing up by 300 rounds down the pipe.

My 223AI barrel with 88's has started doing weird things with only 300 rounds. If I clean it good that seems to make the difference??!! Might have to try the 95's and hope the 7 twist will work.

Hey man if you have the $ for extra barrels then who cares about barrel life, right?!

Reactions: steve123
I would like to do one of these out .224s one day.

Y’all see the new 90gr A-tips? Dont see a b.c. on them yet.

Thats a really nice looking rig.
I really hope you get 1500 rounds out of it, it would give the rest of us hope.
Your running 368,000 rpms. Guessing your bullets might start blowing up anytime.
Like I said, hope yours does better than most of us that ran a fast 22 cal.

WTO seems to be getting pretty solid barrel life from his 22LRV. much better than creed based 22 and 6 cases

500 rounds so far through this baby and I clean it thoroughly after every 50 rounds. Never more than a 5 shot string to keep barrel temp down and plenty of time between strings. She is hitting the mile target and I have not seen any rounds "blow up".

My first 22 creedmoor barrel made it it 1500 rounds and was still shooting when I pulled it. I believe it lasted that long since I was able to use H1000 as the powder. In a 47 id expect R23 to work out really well. The 95s seemed to hold together for me up to 350,000RPMs. Anything over that was hit or miss and started to blow up more bullets as I got closer to 1500

Looking at the 22 and 6 mm version of this cartridge what are the ballistics comparison say for hunting purposes inside of 500 yards.

I recently snagged a used (supposedly low round count) 22x47 barrel. I've been shooting the .220 Thunderbolt and loving it's performance but I've been having brass issues. My goal with this used barrel is just to play with the round a little bit and if I like it I'm going to have a reamer made with a no-turn neck to use Peterson 6x47L brass. I'm only looking to hit 3100 - 3150 fps with a mid powder charge and 88gr ELD-M's.

Right now I've got to get some brass neck turned to try this used barrel then I'll go from there.