• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom 338 RUM Borden Rifle, Mcmillan stock

dariuszczyszczon

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
Windsor Colorado
www.comfortinn.com
I just picked up my first custom gun about 2 weeks. Up to this time I've been shooting a savage 7 rem ultra mag. I wanted to get into a more accurate long range rifle. So after diligently searching i found a 338 RUM which was built by Borden rifles. It has a McMillan A5 stock pillar bedded with adjustable cheek piece, timberline action, jewell trigger, 10 twist , krieger barrell and a 20 moa rail.

Its a heavy gun especially when you compare it to the 7 rum almost double the weight. The trigger breaks at 2 lbs very nice and crisp. I put a temporary scope on it just so i can break it in. In the process of looking for a nightforce 8x32 to put on top of it.

I took it out to the range at pawnee yesterday which is only about 40 min from my house in Windsor. The weather was perfect no wind at all and about 55 degrees. I did the recommend break in and then shot some groups but only used store bought ammo. I was surprised on how well this gun shoots. Being a 338 rum it has less recoil than my 7 rum i was very happy. The group size were not bad compared to factory ammo. So now the gun gets delivered to my buddy in sterling Colorado to get load development done on it.

Once its done weight aside this will be my go to rifle

Re: Custom 338 RUM Borden Rifle, Mcmillan stock

Just curious here, but what made you choose the 338 RUM over the Lapua Magnum? Is it a little faster? More reloads/case? I'm not knocking your choice, I'm just wondering why you went with the RUM. The reason I'm asking is I am looking at possibly beginning to save up for a 338 build and the advantage of the LM over RUM that I see is more data and easier to find ammo.

I have been reseaching it myself. You are looking at $2 for empty brass instead of $2.50 per empty cartridge, performance is about the same. But once you have reached this point, both are expensive to shoot, you have to reload to be able to practically shoot it enough to become proficient with either. Just getting the rifle broke in to the sweet spot by putting a few hundred rounds through it would cost you several hundred dollars.

But hey, we have all embraced an expensive addiction, I mean hobby.

Agreed. When I drop 160 bucks on 8lbs of powder and realize that only gets me ~250 shots (50BMG) I die a little inside

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious here, but what made you choose the 338 RUM over the Lapua Magnum? Is it a little faster? More reloads/case? I'm not knocking your choice, I'm just wondering why you went with the RUM. The reason I'm asking is I am looking at possibly beginning to save up for a 338 build and the advantage of the LM over RUM that I see is more data and easier to find ammo. </div></div>

Well i did look at actually all three. 338edge, 338lapua, & 338 rum. After doing my research each had their pluses and minuses. What i did want is a gun the would go the 1500 -2000 yds range. I do own smaller calibers that cost less to shoot. Yes it does cost more to shoot but also wanted a custom gun that is very accurate. A friend of mine found this gun for sale on one of the forums which in turn was a hell of a deal about $1000 less than if i had it built. It also had everything i wanted in a new gun so it was a no brainier for me

Tried a couple of times and finally got. Here a pic of the new rig
DSCF2582.jpg