• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom 8mm mauser barrel length

Jb1289610

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2019
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding barrel length for an 8mm mauser i am building. It is a yugo M48 so dont worry theres no historical blasphemy being done here. However the gun does have sentimental value and i want to make a shooter out of it. I want the rifle to be fairly lightweight and handy so i plan right now on doing an 18” barrel. To all of the mauser guys do you think 18” is too short for the 8mm mauser to burn enough powder to shoot 1000yds effectively? I have always been under the impression that if the load is consistent then adjustments can be made to compensate but will 18” put me too low on velocity and cause the bullet to go subsonic too soon?

Whatever you do, I suggest you use 8x57mm ammunition from Sellier & Bellot, as it is closer to the original loading than the weak U.S. manufactured 8x57mm ammunition built to avoid lawsuits when used in antique guns.

-Stan

Reactions: Jb1289610
Whatever you do, I suggest you use 8x57mm ammunition from Sellier & Bellot, as it is closer to the original loading than the weak U.S. manufactured 8x57mm ammunition built to avoid lawsuits when used in antique guns.

-Stan
Definitely good to know! Ill check it out for sure! Thanks!

Reactions: stanley_white