• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom action or...

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Before I am crucified for asking, I have been looking through the forums for this answer and have found none, which is odd for how many times it's been asked.

Long story short, I have a little bit of cash, and I've built quite a few ARs. I have been researching like crazy on building a bolt gun in 6.5CM. I keep coming back to the same question on actions. I understand that Tikkas are great actions, and don't have as much after market support as others. I'd probably just do a trigger spring, stock and new barrel after I shoot the Tikka barrel out, And be happy as long as it's at or under 1/2 moa.

BUT, and a huge BUT, my concern isn't which action is incredibly smooth. The most important thing to me is durability. Would a bighorn origin, or defiance tenacity barrled action be more durable? From what I'm seeing, I could almost get 2 Tikkas for the price of one barrled action. But again, I want durability. Thanks

They are all good and all will last thousands of rounds. None are knockoff Chinese junk ready to crumble. I haven’t seen a thread here on the Hide of busted tikkas or anything…

Durability is an interesting criterion. You might wear out a trigger, an extractor, possibly an ejector and definately the barrel but an action itself? You’d have trouble wearing any action out in your remaining lifespan. Any of the actions you listed and many more will provide many lifetimes of service if cared for in even the most minor ways.

okay... here's my take

no factory gun will equal a custom. in resale value or reliability (as in reliable accuracy)

what's a Tikka cost $800-1000... and you want to basically change everything

a Bighorn Origin is $875, a Proof pre fit barrel is $479... trigger, stock/chassis is the same money

so you're $4-500 more into a custom, buy the Bighorn action wrench and a barrel vise and torque that shouldered prefit on yourself and have a damn nice rifle

Ok, I didn't read all the other post. I have a fair amount of experience with all the actions you have mentioned. The Tenacity is very durable and strong. I would not hesitate to use one myself for an extreme duty precision rifle or build one for anyone who wanted the same thing. They have a one piece bolt and strong m16 type extractor and durable bolt stop. You can get on from bugholes.com if they have one in stock.
    I do prefits for them or can barrel it up in my shop. My prices are fair and I keep barrels in stock or can usually get one fairly quickly if you are not dedicated to a specific barrel maker. Check out my website and let me know if I can work with you.
    Thanks, Chase

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dildobaggins
    I suppose there’s slight differences in the metals used so one will wear less than others if everything else is equal. However I think it’ll be minimal if even measurable in a lifetime. If you have the coin, and that’s what you want buy a custom. If not buy a factory rifle and go that way. There’s no wrong way. It’s less expensive to buy what you want in the first place.