• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom action with 3 - position safety?

the other Matt

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2018
I started with a Winchester M70, then moved to an H-S Precision take-down. Now I am looking to build a custom rifle (or purchase a high end factory rifle). Along the way I fell in love with the 3-position safety. Does anyone offer a custom action with a 3 - position safety? Should I avoid it because it limits my ability to customize stocks or other parts of the rifle? Help me understand the trade-offs.

The goal is to have an accurate and lightweight hunting rifle. I am leaning toward 300wm or PRC, suppressor, proof barrel. I am open to other options.

Yes, Defiance Machine makes an action with a three position safety. They provide the trigger tech trigger as well. They are tuned to work together from Defiance. there are pictures of it on the website, looks just like a model 70 3 position.

Reactions: Baron23
I started with a Winchester M70, then moved to an H-S Precision take-down. Now I am looking to build a custom rifle (or purchase a high end factory rifle). Along the way I fell in love with the 3-position safety. Does anyone offer a custom action with a 3 - position safety? Should I avoid it because it limits my ability to customize stocks or other parts of the rifle? Help me understand the trade-offs.

The goal is to have an accurate and lightweight hunting rifle. I am leaning toward 300wm or PRC, suppressor, proof barrel. I am open to other options.
AIs have a 3 position safety and they come with a stock that works with it

Yes, Defiance Machine makes an action with a three position safety. They provide the trigger tech trigger as well. They are tuned to work together from Defiance. there are pictures of it on the website, looks just like a model 70 3 position.
Defiance just let me know they are no longer taking orders for the 3 position safety version of their actions.

Reactions: Supersubes
PGWDTI - Coyote and Timberwolf both use 3 pos saftey

Bought my Coyote as stand alone action and bottom metal

Reactions: Aftermath
Kimbers are 3 position safety and if I recall correctly, controlled round feed.
I have a Mountain Ascent in 280 Ackley. I really don't like the rifle at all but there are lots of folks that do love these Kimbers.

AXSR is 3 position

You may have to hit the gym though to meet your requirements

I've never understood the preference for a safety mounted on a bolt shroud. You're going to take your hand off the grip to switch it from safe to fire. The R700 style is perfect for those situations when you actually want to use a safety. Pretty much hunting. You can just use your thumb to push if forward while keeping your firing hand where it needs to be. So you can deactivate it when you raise the rifle to shoot. You're not moving your hand to deactivate a safety as an extra step while bringing the rifle to your shoulder. In any sort of competition setting you just wouldn't use the safety at all.

I've never understood the preference for a safety mounted on a bolt shroud. You're going to take your hand off the grip to switch it from safe to fire. The R700 style is perfect for those situations when you actually want to use a safety. Pretty much hunting. You can just use your thumb to push if forward while keeping your firing hand where it needs to be. So you can deactivate it when you raise the rifle to shoot. You're not moving your hand to deactivate a safety as an extra step while bringing the rifle to your shoulder. In any sort of competition setting you just wouldn't use the safety at all.
Shotgun is the only type of shooting where I have a safety preference

Other than that a savage/R700/Tikka/AI hasn’t held me back a bit

Shotgun is the only type of shooting where I have a safety preference

Other than that a savage/R700/Tikka/AI hasn’t held me back a bit
Sure. That makes sense. But I just don't understand why a person would prefer to have to reach for the safety.

Sure. That makes sense. But I just don't understand why a person would prefer to have to reach for the safety.
I’ve used savage, R700, Tikka and AI among others

AI is my preference. But the safety location has nothing to do with that

Here is the Gentry on one of my Remington 700's. This one has been tuned up...blueprinted, if you prefer. I have these on 3 700's and am in the process of putting them on every 700 I own. I'm also having the M16 extractors installed and on a couple of them, dual ejectors.
I am probably going to leave the 40X Ti unmolested.
I like that the firing pin is blocked, no way to fire. I like that the bolt can be locked so that it cannot be inadvertently opened by brush or whatever. You can load/unload the rifle with it on safe. It's too bad that Gentry was not able to secure a contract with Remington in the day as these are the way Remingtons should have been made. I am fairly certain these can be added to most of the 700 clones.

EDIT TO SAY: NO STOCK MODIFICATIONS REQUIRED.

Gentry on 30N.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DJL2 and Modoc