• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

custom actions

jayph

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
I have done a search and am now going to start researching. I have decided after playing with factory actions I am ready to step up to a custom action for a build. Is there any other actions that I should consider other than what I have listed? Price of $1500 or less.

Surgeon 591
Stiller Tac 30
McMillan G30
Badger 2008

Thanks

Re: custom actions

Those are all solid actions. I personally run a 591 on my GAP rifle, and would not mind having another one, or any of the above listed...

There are a ton of custom actions available on the market, but you have nailed a majority of the good options.

Don't forget:

Lawton Machine - http://lawtonmachine.com/actions.html

Also, the action you select will be dependent somewhat on the caliber you are going to run out of it.

I know of a few that are having great luck with the Defiance actions as well, slightly tigher tolerances thou and may not be the best choice for a field gun that could run in dirty/dusty conditions.

I have owned a few Surgeon actions, just ordered another 591 repeater action for a new build. You cant go wrong with any of he actions you listed.

Kirk R

Pierce Actions are the shit.

IMAG0029.jpg

What type of shooting or comps do you plan on using it for. Tact. or f/class or just fun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of shooting or comps do you plan on using it for. Tact. or f/class or just fun </div></div>

It will be for field shooting, different positions and ranges in all conditions(rainy/snowy/hot/dusty). If it was used for any comps. Maybe a once a year f-class shoot just for fun.

Dont discount the Surgeon RSR action, great value on a great action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a ton of custom actions available on the market, but you have nailed a majority of the good options.

Don't forget:

Lawton Machine - http://lawtonmachine.com/actions.html

Also, the action you select will be dependent somewhat on the caliber you are going to run out of it. </div></div>

Most likely .308 Win as I plan to shoot this rifle alot and want the barrel to last.

Thanks to all that posted links or names of actions. Looks like there is alot of choices. with more to come Iam sure.

Just curious: are there any actions you can be purchased separately that are controlled-round-feed other than Montana Actions?

Why not look at the 260 or 6.5x47Lapua. Better ballistics, and excellent barrel life.

McMillian makes a CRF G30 action, you can also buy a FN SPR action, it's factory, but it's also a CRF and guys on here has had great results from it, except in one instance the bolt ruptured.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not look at the 260 or 6.5x47Lapua. Better ballistics, and excellent barrel life. </div></div>

I have a .260 already and I chose it over the lapua last time I was going through the choices. And get ready for the <span style="font-weight: bold">biggest sin</span>...... I have never owned a .308 so I figure it's time
shocked.gif

Templar action from GAP. However I would go with the surgeon out of ones you have listed. Like its overall feel the best

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff 03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Templar action from GAP. However I would go with the surgeon out of ones you have listed. Like its overall feel the best </div></div>

Nope thats perfect I am looking for all the choices. If Iam going to be up late at night reading I want to make sure all my options are exhausted.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GreatGonzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would choose the M2008 for the 60 degree bolt lift. Can't go wrong with any of those choices. </div></div>

I'm gonna have one of those, one of these days... They are definately nice.