• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Actions

rubar01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Luling, Louisiana
I looking to start a custom build. I think that I have settled on using a Surgeon 591 or RSR short action.
Looking for pros and cons for these or suggestions on others.
Thanks

Re: Custom Actions

plenty of info here, the search function will lead the way for your answers.

I went with a Badger M2008 for my most recent build

you can not go wrong with anything from Surgeon, Preston is a hell of a guy!!!

Well, I have owned a few Surgeon 591 repeater actions, and have another on order for another 6x47L build. The benefit of a 591 over a RSR, integral 20 MOA base, integral recoil lug with increased barrel threading, other than that they are pretty much the same.

I think the RSR may be a better value if your on a budget, beats the cost of truing a Rem action.

Kirk R

I have a 7WSM built on a RSR with a 28" MTU barrel hanging on the front. The extra threads dont do jack shit on the 591. My rifle shoots tiny groups without an integral lug or base. If you have the money to burn, sure...go for the 591, but the extra money saved could go a long way for other important things, like good glass.

Just sayin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 7WSM built on a RSR with a 28" MTU barrel hanging on the front. The extra threads dont do jack shit on the 591. My rifle shoots tiny groups without an integral lug or base. If you have the money to burn, sure...go for the 591, but the extra money saved could go a long way for other important things, like good glass.

Just sayin. </div></div>

WORD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looking to start a custom build. I think that I have settled on using a Surgeon 591 or RSR short action.
Thanks
</div></div>

contact wnroscoe owner/builder of LA Precision rifles here on the hide. He has a proprietary designed action available that has a lot of good features. Good guy to deal with too.

Own a 591 and an RSR and a Defiance action. I definitely prefer the Defiance action. Glen Harrison started the whole custom action market decades ago when he founded Nesika Bay. Nobody understands the subleties of action design better than he does.

There are plenty of other great actions out there: http://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html

In addition to Defiance, Borden, BAT, and Stiller have impeccable reputations. Just depends on exactly what you want.

What would you recommend? Surgeon, Templar or trued 700 action?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bsp212</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looking to start a custom build. I think that I have settled on using a Surgeon 591 or RSR short action.
Thanks
</div></div>

contact wnroscoe owner/builder of LA Precision rifles here on the hide. He has a proprietary designed action available that has a lot of good features. Good guy to deal with too. </div></div>

That mostly likely is a defiance action...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viper68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would you recommend? Surgeon, Templar or trued 700 action? </div></div>
Templar is a Defiance action made to GA specs. That would be my choice of the three you mention....but you'll have to buy a GAP rifle to go along with that action.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viper68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would you recommend? Surgeon, Templar or trued 700 action? </div></div>
Templar is a Defiance action made to GA specs. That would be my choice of the three you mention....but you'll have to buy a GAP rifle to go along with that action.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Actually you can buy the Templar as just a barreled action. Cost starts at $1690. I have an inquiry in to george in the GA precision status thread on whether they are still shipping them or not because I called about one and was told 6-8 weeks and someone else here (an unnamed mod) said I should ask george because that doesnt sound right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually you can buy the Templar as just a barreled action. Cost starts at $1690. I have an inquiry in to george in the GA precision status thread on whether they are still shipping them or not because I called about one and was told 6-8 weeks and someone else here (an unnamed mod) said I should ask george because that doesnt sound right.</div></div>

If it doesn't have to say "Templar" ... just call Defiance and tell them you want your action to the Templar specs. (Doubt there is much difference) They are great to deal with and you can customize it to exactly what you want ... port, ejector, extractor, bolt knob, tang, etc ... even the serial number. I have deal with them extensively and they are the greatest people you will ever meet.