• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom AR Builders – Precision VS Combat

MuleyTime

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2008
Utah
Question regarding getting a custom AR from a builder. I am wondering if there is a difference in builders when it comes to precision vs combat (short range berms). Should I look for a builder that has precision in mind or are they all going to shoot extremely well. I’m talking about accuracy not platform differences. For example, my use would be for Coyote hunting and occasional steel plate fun out to distance. I don’t do any short range berm stuff. I like all my rifles to shoot really good consistent groups at 100 yards and further out…..as though I could use them in precision competition, PRS stuff for example.

Most of the builders seem to really focus on the short-range combat stuff which is NOT what I’m looking for. On the other side, Sgt of Arms has a focus on the PRS/precision side of the house.

I'm looking at:
Odin Works
Type A
SGT of Arms
Sons of Liberty

Thoughts and opinions?

Any reason you aren’t building your own?
Very fair question.....the answer is that I have and currently have a nice one that I built. But they have all left me wanting.

I want to try something that has been tried, trued, tested, tuned and loved. In my mind it's going to be much better :)

Very fair question.....the answer is that I have and currently have a nice one that I built. But they have all left me wanting.

I want to try something that has been tried, trued, tested, tuned and loved. In my mind it's going to be much better :)
I should add....it will be a 22 ARC. Not at all interested in 223/556 stuff.

So let me ask this question as a follow-up:

Is there a particular timeline you have in mind, to have the build completed?

If not, why not take the time to research the components that will allow you to build your 22 ARC PRS AR, then take the time to build with the precision that is needed? This way, you an be 100% certain that the components would meet your needs, the build will not cost more than than it should and when you are done, you will have the 22 ARC PRS AR of your dreams.

If there is a timeline...sure, you could have a gunsmith build you the 22 ARC PRS AR, but at what price?

Reactions: MuleyTime
So let me ask this question as a follow-up:

Is there a particular timeline you have in mind, to have the build completed?

If not, why not take the time to research the components that will allow you to build your 22 ARC PRS AR, then take the time to build with the precision that is needed? This way, you an be 100% certain that the components would meet your needs, the build will not cost more than than it should and when you are done, you will have the 22 ARC PRS AR of your dreams.

If there is a timeline...sure, you could have a gunsmith build you the 22 ARC PRS AR, but at what price?
I like and appreciate what you're saying. I don't have a timeline as the components (bullets and factory ammo mostly) are still hard to come by.
The costs by the builders seem fair for a custom, and probably not much more than I can build one for if I chose the same highend parts. I'd really just prefer to buy one from the guys that know how to build and tune them right out of the box.

Reactions: USK308
I like and appreciate what you're saying. I don't have a timeline as the components (bullets and factory ammo mostly) are still hard to come by.
The costs by the builders seem fair for a custom, and probably not much more than I can build one for if I chose the same highend parts. I'd really just prefer to buy one from the guys that know how to build and tune them right out of the box.
Copy all traffic.

(As you may have guessed, I am more amenable to building my own than paying someone else to build, despite their professional ability(ies)).

Reactions: MuleyTime
The builders you cited are solid, but not particularly precision oriented.

As already mentioned, buy a JP or get an upper from Compass Lake, WOA or Craddock Precision to put on a lower that you build with a precision trigger, top shelf BCG & a precision oriented stock design.

For what you get from them, prices are at least fair.

MM

Reactions: oldrifleman