• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom barrel/action question

99HMC4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Im toying with the idea of building a new bolt action. Heres what I would love to have if possible. A Badger M2008 action (338), good barrel (25"-28") and if I can have an adapter made to fit it in a SAKO TRG long action stock. My main question is this, whats the best barrel out there and why? Ive looked at these so far;
Lilja
Krieger
Pac-Nor
Shilen
Lothar Walther
WHat else is out there? Any good hammer forged barrels around?
Edit: whats a good muzzle brake also?

Re: Custom barrel/action question

Dude.......or dude'ette......please complete your profile.....and savvy the search function........

there rest of you please don't feed the troll

Add Brux....look at Badger's FTE brake, I've got one on my .338 LM and it works very well, especially shooting prone close to the ground, diverts the blast left and right not down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude.......or dude'ette......please complete your profile.....and savvy the search function........

there rest of you please don't feed the troll </div></div>

Amen brother. Its not like there's plenty of info available for those considering potential builds that people have already taken the time to post. I remember when researching a topic menat more than just posting "hey what do you guys think?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude.......or dude'ette......please complete your profile.....and savvy the search function........

there rest of you please don't feed the troll </div></div>
Why do you give a shit about my profile? No troll just questions about good barrels...

A BIG thing too, the search SUCKS here....

99HMC4, google- 6MMBR- lots of good info there.

Delete Lilja from your list. Brux and Broughton are my two favorite.

Kreiger, Bartlein, Obermyer and Schneider and excellent barrels. I prefer cut rifled barrels over button or hammer forged. Just seems like they can get the twist closer to true twist and I know Bartlein can get it down to like 3 decimal points. My cut rifled barrels seem to clean better too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kreiger, Bartlein, Obermyer and Schneider and excellent barrels. I prefer cut rifled barrels over button or hammer forged. Just seems like they can get the twist closer to true twist and I know Bartlein can get it down to like 3 decimal points. My cut rifled barrels seem to clean better too. </div></div>

Good stuff, thank you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackhawk95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Delete Lilja from your list. Brux and Broughton are my two favorite. </div></div>

Why is that? Whats up with Lilja?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 99HMC4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A BIG thing too, the search SUCKS here.... </div></div>

Try this in the future, works for me.

Snipers Hide Google Machine

I've had good luck out of my Rock barrel on my .243. over 1200 rounds, rarely clean it, and still holds tight groups. Cleans up easy too.

I heard of alot of problems with Lilja lately. And there customer service or lack there of isnt what it should be for such a big name company. I had a barrel that would blow up any bullet i fed it. Call them and got zero help.

your money can be spent better elsewhere.

Broughton And Brux are the two best companys Ive bought a barrel from, cant goe wrong with them.

Jerid

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 99HMC4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A BIG thing too, the search SUCKS here.... </div></div>

Try this in the future, works for me.

Snipers Hide Google Machine </div></div>

Wow. Yes this search is moocho butthair! Thanks!

in my opinion krieger is the king!! look at any benchrest equipment list and you will see lots of kriegers.krieger barrels are just plain consistent!!!