• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom barrel for DT 300 Norma

OfRoggeveen

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2021
South East
I'm new at this, so I'd like input on what the specifics need to be for a custom barrel. It'll be for a Desert Tech SRS rifle, primarily shooting 250 grain A-tips.

I read somewhere that a 1:7 twist is the fastest Hornady recommends for this bullet. But, when I plug that into a stability calculator, it tells me such a twist rate/load combination is only "marginally stable". So should I go with a 1:6, or 1:6.5? Or will the bullet come apart?

I'm planning on a 28"-30" barrel.

Thanks!

You may need to specify you want the throat cut to handle the 250s. They're pretty long bullets and I had trouble getting them to seat well in a standard throated barrel. So I had a new barrel made that was specifically throated for 250 A-Tips, and it's noticeably longer than the standard throat that I can't seat 220s without them jumping a significant amount.

And just to pile on, the 1:8 twist is good for the vast majority of bullets shot for this cartridge (200-250gr). The only reason I have a couple of 1:7 twist barrels is specifically to handle heavy solid bullets that are so long that they require a faster twist.

Reactions: OfRoggeveen
Can you explain to me why that is? Do the stability calculators need to be taken with a grain of salt?
Hornady even states that 1:8.5 is enough. I would go with a 1:8 or if pushing them over 3000fps a 1:8.5. way over spinning jacketed bullets can cause issues.

You can’t really overspin solids, but jacketed bullets can disintegrate if spun too fast. How fast is too fast? Hard to say - it’s usually a combo of being a twist that is too fast and shot at significant velocity to really get the angular momentum high enough to exceed the bonds of the bullets

I shoot 390 A-TIPS in a 1:12 375 barrel at 2900 fps. Granted, my DA is usually around 5000 ft, but they shoot lights out and they're "marginal" on the calculator and hornady recommends 1:11 (which Lilja doesn't do, so that was out).

And as noted above, while you can underspin a bullet (think subsonic 208 grain 308 cal in an 8" barrel with a can - oops!), you can also overspin it - not only can it disintegrate, but supersonic accuracy can suffer, according to Litz, because the angular momentum magnifies imperfections in the sectional density of the bullet

Reactions: OfRoggeveen
Yup, and there’s definitely a sweet spot for twist rate in a given load, but it’s not something most folks have the time/resources/sanity to trial and error to find it. “Good enough” is just that in most cases.

Reactions: secondofangle2
I'm running 1/8 just fine on my Norma, I've played with the 250's but stuck it out with the 230's... better velocity. Then my supply of 215's jumped up by 5K I may need to shoot those. But when I loaded with them, I had good results using n570 . Just couldn't justify the cost of them

Reactions: secondofangle2
I'm running 1/8 just fine on my Norma, I've played with the 250's but stuck it out with the 230's... better velocity. Then my supply of 215's jumped up by 5K I may need to shoot those. But when I loaded with them, I had good results using n570 . Just couldn't justify the cost of them
What barrel length are you running? What velocities were you getting from the 250's?