• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Custom BDC

Xterminator

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2007
Sainte-Sabine Qc Ca
Hi guys, I have been working on this project for quite some time, tought you might be interested to see the results
smile.gif

Here is the concept, there are curently on the market some custom made turrets with your ballistics on it (BDC), the problem with those turrets is that they are very expensive $$$ they offer a limited amount of info (50 yards increments) and if you want a few of them to cover a larger range of conditions the bill will go up very fast :bangHead:

After a lot of thinking I decided to do a printed tape that I would stick directly on my turret, I would do my ballistics by the .5 MOA for more accuracy. I have done the design with a drawing program and printed the tape on label for VHS cassette. After alot of trial and error to fit the lines of the tape with the lines of the turret the concept worked realy good, no more loosing time reading ballistic charts, it was much faster (coyote hunters know wath I mean) and also this way no risk of loosing or forgeting your charts. After some time 2 things still bug me, the resolution was not great, in low light condition the numbers were hard to read and the tape realy did not like the rain, I tried to put some Scotch tape over it for protection but if I would shoot in heavy rain the numbers would just fade out.
frown.gif

Old model on Nightforce scope standard turret, the numbers on the bottom are the ballistics of the first rotation, the one on top are the ones of the second rotation, the red numbers are the MOA

<span style="font-weight: bold">The solution</span>: I just bought a 4 colors process printer (I work in advertising) and tried to make my tape with this printer, the result were phenomenal, the resolution is alot better, even at dusk when I cant see my target in the scope, I can still read the numbers on the turret and rain is'nt a problem anymore, the tape is made with the same materials used on car graphics[

New tape on Nightforce scope with "High Rev" turret. You read numbers from top to bottom, red numbers are the MOA

Ballistic info on top of the turret

After alot of work, I think my project is finaly a success :cheers:

Re: Custom BDC

So how can you sell these and make any money at it?
Different scope dials have different circumferences.
How can you make the readouts for dials you don't have in front of you?
If it was just a personal project, it looks sweet!

Well I guess where you shoot the DA never changes, so having your knob marked makes perfect sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WARDOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how can you sell these and make any money at it?
Different scope dials have different circumferences.
How can you make the readouts for dials you don't have in front of you?
If it was just a personal project, it looks sweet! </div></div>

At first it was a personnal project but if demand is there I will sell them but I will have to ask Lowlight if it's ok with him to advertise a price first

Their is a way of to mesure it with the strip of paper and a caliper but I would have to test different thickness of paper to find to one that mache the best to vinyl I use for printing. Tickness of material will affect line spacing, between 2 lines their isn't much difference but on a complete turn you can easely get 1/8 moa difference

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I guess where you shoot the DA never changes, so having your knob marked makes perfect sense. </div></div>

i suppose you dont think the USMC or army guys couldn't possibly hit shit with their bdc scopes either? thats why there is a verneer ring on the unertl.

i run a bdc on my uso and its great. i have had great sucess with it but i also have enough sense to adjust the dope as the DA changes.

he seems to be referring to a very quick method of getting the gun in action and on target. you must have missed that part.