• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Build - Advice appreciated

RAWHDE

“I have seen enough to know, I have seen too much”
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
Hey all,

I am prior military guy who has not shot in 15 years but decided to pick up long range target shooting as a hobby. I'm having a custom rifle built (I know I should probably start out smaller but I figure go strong or go home). Anyway, I was looking to have something built that was a close reproduction of the M40A1 which is what I had in my armory while in the service and loved the look/feel of it. I did make some changes but since I'm fairly new to all this, I would appreciate any advice anyone could give on where I could improve (without breaking the bank) or if I'm making any mistakes...here it is:

Blue print action and bolt
Bush bolt
Kreiger M24 barrel 24" 11 1/4 twist...barrel 1.2 for 4" and tapers to .920
McMillan HTG M24 stock in forest camo with badger M5 bottom metal plate
Timney trigger
Refinish steel in olive drab green
Muzzle break

I would also like Witchita swivels...anyone tell me where the best place to find them is?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Custom Build - Advice appreciated

Have it swapped to an adjustable cheek piece on the HTG. It is far too low for most scopes, out of the box.

I'd probably skip bushing the bolt, it probably won't need it.

Additionally, I'd have flush-cups installed, rather than swivels. I'd also want a rail instead of studs for the bipod. That way you can get a QD mount for a Harris or run an Atlas if that's your flavor.

Honestly, in general, the HTG is dated and needs updated. The rail, flush cups, and adjustable cheek should be a good start in bringing it up to snuff.

I agree with tyler's comments concerning your bolt. Unless the fit is unusually loose, it will work fine.

thanks for the advice guys

are you trying tobuild an m40a1 usmc sniper rifle or an army m24 sniper rifle? there is a thread on the hide that is a builders gide. the best way to get the witchata swivels is have them installed when you order your stock from mcmillan hope this helps.

I think you are a bit confused on some of your nomenclature, we just want to be sure you ask for the right things.

McMillan did not make the M24 stock, that was HS precision and it as a long action stock. They do make one very similar for the short action.

The M40A1 stock was the McMillan HTG.

If you haven't picked a smith yet, I recommend you consider Mike Lau at Texas Brigade Armory, he makes one helluva beautiful rifle and does primarily various M40 and M24 clones.
Here is a link to his M40A1 page:
http://www.texasbrigadearmory.com/m40a1.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you are a bit confused on some of your nomenclature, we just want to be sure you ask for the right things.

McMillan did not make the M24 stock, that was HS precision and it as a long action stock. They do make one very similar for the short action.

The M40A1 stock was the McMillan HTG.

If you haven't picked a smith yet, I recommend you consider Mike Lau at Texas Brigade Armory, he makes one helluva beautiful rifle and does primarily various M40 and M24 clones.
Here is a link to his M40A1 page:
http://www.texasbrigadearmory.com/m40a1.htm </div></div>

Yes, getting the HTG stock from McMillan. Not trying to make exact replica of M40A1 but more trying to stay close to the look while updating some things. It's actually been a very fluid process that has changed quite a bit the more research i have done.

I am working with Chris Lukenbaugh at Aquila Firearms in LaPorte, TX. As of right now, I'm looking at HTG stock with 24" barrel (same taper as original M40A1), Badger M4 bottom plate and trigger guard, timney trigger, rem action blueprinted. Was going .308 but seriously leaning 6.5 Creedmor

I'm assuming you were in the Marines if you're talking about M40A1 rifle. Personally I’m not particularly a fan of using a long action for .308 round such as the M24 the US Army uses.

My only advice would be to reconsider the stock and look at McMillan’s M40A series 1 through 5. My guess is most go with the M40A5 stock now.

I’m also a huge fan of having flush cups installed over the Wichita swivels. The Wichita swivels are industrial strength heavy duty swivels but the flush cups offer much better functionality. As for the Witchita swivels the only builder I know who uses these on his builds is Mike Lau. As stated earlier Mike builds an incredibly accurate and beautiful rifle. I know I own one of his M40A3 builds in left-handed version. Mike’s lead times are incredibly long and can take well over a year plus last I checked.

My new favorite g-smith is Chad Dixon at LongRifles Inc. His processes are state of the art and he just builds what I consider the best and most accurate rifles on the market.

Best of luck on your build!

Does anybody have any experience working with Chris L. at Aquila Firearms in Texas?