• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

custom build

newby

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2008
Rep of Ireland
hey lads, bit of an odd one, i think, but here gos. i want an all round rifle for deer/fox, paperpunchin not my thing but sub moa is, i was wondering would anyone here put .25-06 in a tac style rifle for what i have in mind, feel free to give thoughts and opinions, whether you thin im crazy or it wouldnt suit, or whatever it is you think of the idea. I will be handloading.

Re: custom build

It is a capable round. Like stated above, bullet selection is limited, but there are enough of them out there to suit your needs.

25-06 is a very good hunting caliber for varmints and all the way up to antelope and deer sized game. You will burn a barrel out quicker than with a .308 or 30-06. But it is a very accurate, fast, flat shooting cartridge. My dad and myself have shot a lot of antelope and deer with this cartridge when we lived out on the plains. If you do not mind reloading for it, it is an excellent choice for your hunting purposes.

if you are going to reload, you may look at the .257 roberts improved or the straight roberts as well. Better barrel life, and nearly the same kind of performance. There are plenty of bullet choices out there for the .257, there are a few select match grade bullets that aren't made in every caliber, but there are many many more good bullets especially suited to varmints and game... Barnes, Nosler, Hornady...

Dave