• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Cleaning Rods?

raider1v1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Hey Guys -

I have only been able to find this site - Ivy Rods, custom crafted for all your shooting needs - for custom length rods. I need a 48" 22-6.5 caliber rod that has a removable handle/is a two-piece design.

I think that his look good, and i talked to him on the phone and he seems on the up and up. The issue is that its just a stainless steel rod vs one thats carbon fiber or coated with something to prevent scratches.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Ivy Rods/Denny Andrews has been a good supplier. He's well known in the BR shooting community. I have never had any issues using a plain stainless rod. I always use a bore guide.

Ivy Rods/Denny Andrews has been a good supplier. He's well known in the BR shooting community. I have never had any issues using a plain stainless rod. I always use a bore guide.

any recommendation for a good bore guide? right now i just have the tipton universal

TK Nolan is about the best you can get but they are expensive. Lucas is a good lower cost option.

I'm not sure why you would want/need this other than to say you're uber cool by having a "custom" rod (another example of over use of a word).

You could arguable get a just as good or better rod from Dewey or Tipton for less money.

Well the OP did say "I need a 48" 22-6.5 caliber rod that has a removable handle/is a two-piece design".

Neither Tipton or Dewey can help him with that request.

Why when there are so many coated rods that are out there?? Why maybe cause damage to your barrel??

neil jones bore guides are another option. i have an ivy rod and bought one for my dad too. They are not a bad deal with the option to specify what you need.

Sharpshootr.com makes coated cleaning rods for a reasonable price. Same company makes Wipe-out cleaning products.

Mike Lucas bore guides are #1. Custom made to your action/chambering/rod diameter. Boretech makes great rods but not sure about removing the handle.

To state the Nolan guides are expensive is an understatement. $160 Good Lord!

Any ideas as to the cost of the Lucas guides?

Why when there are so many coated rods that are out there?? Why maybe cause damage to your barrel??

There are different "schools of thought" regarding cleaning rods. I think the choice of external material also depends on where you are cleaning (at home or in field).

The coated rods are fine for at home/relatively clean room cleaning. The thinking behind the stainless steel rods is that small specks of dirt can get embedded in the soft coating of a coated rod, and end up actually being dragged through your barrel scoring it. Therefore having a hard material such as stainless steel will help avoid those bits of dirt from attaching to the rod. Also, I have noticed that with some solvents (or maybe combinations of solvents over time) the coated rods feel "rougher".

In all cases, we all should be using rod guides so the cleaning rod is supported and does not touch the bore. Even if you had a ragged diamond surface rod you should be able to center it up with a bore guide and push it down the bore without touching the internal surface (your brushes/patches should be the only things that touch).

I use both coated and stainless rods, but always with a bore guide. I also frequently examine my bores with a borescope, and have never seen any damage caused by the stainless rods. (The leftover machining marks from the manufacturer are an order of magnitude more noticeable, and I am talking about the top notch barrel makers such as Kreiger, Benchmark, Bartlein, etc. Keep in mind when I say "noticeable" here we are talking about near-microscopic machining marks -- nothing that would affect shooting or to worry about but they ARE visible with a magnified borescope.)