• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Cowboy boots. Where to go? Will travel

MOUNTIC

Mountic Outdoors: Big Game Hunter
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2017
    Colorado
    mounticoutdoors.com
    I'm looking for a new set of cowboy boots. Boots to me are an investment for 5-10 years and I'm looking for a new pair. The last few pairs I have just gone to your boot barn, Murdochs, Sheplers, Western stores and bough boots off the shelf. Nothing custom fit or special. They generally take me a while to get them where I need them before my feet quit hurting. Sometimes 6 months even. And have lasted for about 7 years a piece before they start completely falling apart. Probably should replace them sooner.

So my question is, where is a good place, store, company, that can get me fitted for a quality boot and have it be made to order or custom fit. I travel for work and have more miles then I can use to go anywhere in the US to have this done. For a nice everyday boot. Nothing too fancy with elaborate stitching and colors, but I am open to different types of leather if they are more durable.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Appreciate the help.

Jake

Beck's Boots in Amarillo, TX. If I'm remembering correctly, they'll send you a kit to fit your feet, and make to fit. Best pair of boots I ever owned. Brand new, they were more comfortable than tennis shoes. A lot of the feedlot hands get their boots made there because they last.

Beck's Boots in Amarillo, TX. If I'm remembering correctly, they'll send you a kit to fit your feet, and make to fit. Best pair of boots I ever owned. Brand new, they were more comfortable than tennis shoes.

Thank you for the recommendation. I will check them out.

I too would check out Beck Boots, as I'm curious now. Long ago, the last pair of roper's that I'd bought were Ariat's. They were fancy in that they had a 'gel insole' and made them comfortable for walking/footwork.

But the Beck deal sounds interesting.

Reactions: kindabitey
    I was working in the area when I got mine made, so I went by to get fitted. The older gentleman that did it certainly knew his stuff. The made it about 10 years before they finally got to the beyond repair point.

Reactions: MOUNTIC
    If you are working in them Becks for sure, I have 2 pair of them as I lived in Amarillo for a few years. For Dress boots, I wear Lucchese Caiman or elephant. They are super comfortable as well.

I’m a big fan of Anderson Bean boots. Not custom made, but they fit great for me and last a quite a while. Don’t get the horsepower line as those are made in Mexico. The true Anderson Beans are made in Texas and they will resole/recraft them when they wear out.

Reactions: Stevo86
    CC2AD8F1-FE5C-4C48-90F5-1B5D539A83E0.jpeg I’ve worn Anderson bean, they are great boots. These were hand made by mike Allred in whitesboro Tx. Great guy and extremely talented

i have a pair of lucchese gator skin boots. i really like them. i dont know that they are on par with the beck boots, but they arent custom made, either. but i really like them. fwiw
    I have both. They are both equal in quality, the Becks are just made to fit your foot specifically so they are more comfortable for all day wear.

Paul Bond. Fit like a glove. In fact, the time I sent in my measurements they contacted me to say they didn't believe it and that I needed to be a little more precise. Expensive but worth it.

I make my living in boots. Been wearing Becks exclusively for 12yrs now. I'll buy no other boot. They look good but I wouldn't call em no dance hall boot. The older fella mentioned above was probably Harry Beck. He retired and turned the company over to Jeremy about 4-5yrs ago. I've got 4 pair these days and although the oldest ones are 12yo they are still waterproof and function fine. The BecTec soles seem like they'll last forever. Yes they will send you a fit kit for free.
    IMG_2312.PNG

Last edited:
    I make my living in boots. Been wearing Becks exclusively for 12yrs now. I'll buy no other boot. They look good but I wouldn't call em no dance hall boot. The older fella mentioned above was probably Harry Beck. He retired and turned the company over to Jeremy about 4-5yrs ago. I've got 4 pair these days and although the oldest ones are 12yo they are still waterproof and function fine. The BecTec soles seem like they'll last forever. Yes they will send you a fit kit for free.
    View attachment 7171649

Thats the way boots should look - worked.

Im liking the idea of the rough out leather Beck's.

Dope them up with a daubing wax/grease mix they would wear like iron and do pretty good in weather.

Living in Boston though I dont get much need for spurs or don the boots I have often enough.

I have a 30 year old set of Justin Ropers from their made in USA days that I wont replace with their new made in Mexico stuff.

A 30 year old set of Lucchese calf skins gets some suit time now and than - weddings and funerals - pretty much because they are black and were bought for formal social events, otherwise Im not a black footwear person. Black is for work or weddings otherwise leather should be brown and patina to look better as it ages.

A set of Becks might be just the thing for stepping out in shit. They look functional.

Last edited:
    @Cowcatcher

Have you been to Beck's shop?

Im kind of a round toe guy for regular out and about wear not so much trying to find a stirrup.

I see their round toe and it looks good.

I wear Corcoran jump boots quite a bit and that Munson last boot is pretty comfortable.

Any idea if their boot with the Munson toe looks "good" in your opinion or does it look like a cowboy boot mated with a jump boot and now you are Beetle Baily looking for a ranch?

Munson...

1572172878101.png

Round....

1572172921032.png

Last edited:
    @Cowcatcher

Have you been to Beck's shop?

Im kind of a round toe guy for regular out and about wear not so much trying to find a stirrup.

I see their round toe and it looks good.

I wear Cochran jump boots quite a bit and that Munson last boot is pretty comfortable.

Any idea if their boot with the Munson toe looks "good" in your opinion or does it look like a cowboy boot mated with a jump boot and now you are Beetle Baily looking for a ranch?

Munson...

View attachment 7171737

Round....

View attachment 7171738
    A friend of mine wears the round toes and the Munson. They look good, much better in person. I haven't been to Becks shop. Nothing ever really carries me to Amarillo.

Reactions: pmclaine
    I ordered up the "fit kit" from Becks this morning. Seems that is the overall consensus here so far. My original budget was $1,300 not including travel if it was needed. Looks like Ill be able to possibly be able to get the custom Becks and also a pair of more "dress" Lucchese's. Seems like some decent sales popup on those too.

I have a couple pair from M.L. Leddy out of Fort Worth, TX.
    They actually measure and fit you right in their shop. Takes about an hour but the end product is unbelievable. From day one these boots were the most comfortable I have ever worn. No break in period at all. Pick your leather, heel height, toe design, etc. Every aspect of the boot is up to you. Took a little less than a year from measuring to delivery but the boots are well worth it.
    They fit so well that I ordered a second pair.

They actually measure and fit you right in their shop. Takes about an hour but the end product is unbelievable. From day one these boots were the most comfortable I have ever worn. No break in period at all. Pick your leather, heel height, toe design, etc. Every aspect of the boot is up to you. Took a little less than a year from measuring to delivery but the boots are well worth it.
    Leddy does good work and has for a long time. I've never had a pair of their boots but I've had a couple of their saddles.

I was in Ft Worth last week. Should have posted up for recommendations before I went to TX! Thanks and I will check them out.

I ordered up the "fit kit" from Becks this morning. Seems that is the overall consensus here so far. My original budget was $1,300 not including travel if it was needed. Looks like Ill be able to possibly be able to get the custom Becks and also a pair of more "dress" Lucchese's. Seems like some decent sales popup on those too.
    Jeremy at Becks will make sure you're 100% satisfied. If you get em and something doesn't fit right, Jeremy will send you a return label and fix the problem.

I'm looking for a new set of cowboy boots. Boots to me are an investment for 5-10 years and I'm looking for a new pair. The last few pairs I have just gone to your boot barn, Murdochs, Sheplers, Western stores and bough boots off the shelf. Nothing custom fit or special. They generally take me a while to get them where I need them before my feet quit hurting. Sometimes 6 months even. And have lasted for about 7 years a piece before they start completely falling apart. Probably should replace them sooner.

So my question is, where is a good place, store, company, that can get me fitted for a quality boot and have it be made to order or custom fit. I travel for work and have more miles then I can use to go anywhere in the US to have this done. For a nice everyday boot. Nothing too fancy with elaborate stitching and colors, but I am open to different types of leather if they are more durable.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Appreciate the help.

Jake

I have never tried a custom pair myself but I have had exceptional luck with Lucchese boots. I have wide feet and these boots never cease to amaze me in terms of comfort...not cheap but well worth the $$$ as hurting feet makes for a bad disposition

Hondo Boot Co. They have been around a long time, but have never been the "trendy" company. They can be hard to find. Very good quality and finish. I have many pairs. I even inherited some that my wifes grandfather had. My boys are now seeking them out when looking for boots.

What's their price range? I didn't see any prices on their site.

I can't speak to their cowboy boots but I have 5 pairs of different style Whites boots and they have a custom fit form on file for me. I'll never wear another pair so long as they have a style I need. Once they break in, it's like wearing slippers.

Reactions: ZiaHunter
    JB Hill in El Paso, TX. Have two pairs and the best cowboy boots I have ever worn. They measure your foot and you pick the options. I am construction PM and my everyday work boot are White's Packers. Have 6 pairs.

Thanks. I'm frequently in Dallas, Houston, El Paso, and San Antonio. I'll have to make some time to start checking out everyone's recommendations.

Last edited:
    What's their price range? I didn't see any prices on their site.
    Probably $250 - $300 range depending on where you get them. I bought some factory direct from the owner over the phone one time. They were like $140 a pair.......but that was 15 to 20 years ago. I bought two pair the same day and still have both.

These are the ones my 14 year old bought a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful boot. He purchased at Langston's in cowtown at Oklahoma City.
    Screenshot_20191027-102750_Chrome.jpg

Probably $250 - $300 range depending on where you get them. I bought some factory direct from the owner over the phone one time. They were like $140 a pair.......but that was 15 to 20 years ago. I bought two pair the same day and still have both.

These are the ones my 14 year old bought a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful boot. He purchased at Langston's in cowtown at Oklahoma City. View attachment 7171860
    I'll check em out when I'm down there sometime. I live east of Tulsa so that ain't too bad of a drive.

Reactions: kindabitey
    Check out Drews boots.

They come to the NW stock show and will fit you there and ship the boots to you. A couple friends have done that and had good success.

I plan to do that when I am in need of a new pair.

Those black bull hide boots are sharp!

Im a rounded toe guy for boots. Square became very popular and reminds me of crappy pop country music.

I am 150 miles from Amarillo and have bought a number of pairs of Beck Boots, the last pair I had made were around $500 with the Beck Tec sole, it is impervious to decay but slick as snot if it gets oil or grease. Many of the factory boots use lots of paper and paper products to keep them cheap, if they get wet they fall apart.

A great choice is the waxed french calf for the lower it will repel moisture and also take a decent polish, it is a buffed rough out.

I am 150 miles from Amarillo and have bought a number of pairs of Beck Boots, the last pair I had made were around $500 with the Beck Tec sole, it is impervious to decay but slick as snot if it gets oil or grease. Many of the factory boots use lots of paper and paper products to keep them cheap, if they get wet they fall apart.

A great choice is the waxed french calf for the lower it will repel moisture and also take a decent polish, it is a buffed rough out.

Most work shoes for a time were rough out.

You get the advantage of full hide thickness and the smooth interior.

Soldiers would dub their rough outs with grease and bees wax until you would swear the leather started smooth

German jackboots everyone thinks as some awesome leather to give them the spit shiney look - brown rough out. The soldier had to dye and grease until they were "jacked" for weather protection.

Im really liking those Beck rough outs. My Justin and Redwing pull ons have shafts that just make it the slightest bit inconvenient to don/remove that I usually opt for untied hikers when I have to run out of the house for a moment.

I want something like firefighters turnout boots you just jump into and go and Im thinking those Beck's could be that.

I think I may also want something garish, less conservative a boot as you find in Yankee land. Maybe a red shaft with mule ears.

Great thread you may cost me money yet.

Reactions: Cowcatcher
    Boots made with pig skin vamps are very tough and normally cost less than elephant. Not really a dress boot though.

Boots made with pig skin vamps are very tough and normally cost less than elephant. Not really a dress boot though.

Pigs are for bacon.

Cattle are for footwear.

Something about that folicle covered pig wear just doesnt do it for me.

Cattle - rifle slings, baseball gloves, jackets, boots - nothing ages like it and just gets better with more wear.

Pigs are for bacon.

Cattle are for footwear.

Something about that folicle covered pig wear just doesnt do it for me.

Cattle - rifle slings, baseball gloves, jackets, boots - nothing ages like it and just gets better with more wear.
    I've built a lot of boots using pig skin, these young cowboys in West Texas like them a lot.

I'll check em out when I'm down there sometime. I live east of Tulsa so that ain't too bad of a drive.
    I am sorry. I forgot. We got them at Little Joe's Boot Shop across the street north of Langston's. We looked at some at Langston's that same day. I know my son bought some a year ago at Langston's. Long story short.......both stores carried Hondo's. Probably the only stores in Oklahoma that carry them. Little Joe's has some nice stuff. He also carrie's Whites Packer Boots. I have never had any, but I have heard good things.

I've built a lot of boots using pig skin, these young cowboys in West Texas like them a lot.

And those guys are working boots harder than I ever will.

Interiors of my winter work boots - Bal laced field boots - are pigskin while exteriors are cattle.

Despite my preference for cattle its apparent pig holds up better.

Granted the boot exteriors face the damage of rock salt and wetness than to ad insult to injury we expect them to "shine" so they only get wax.

All the care stays on the surface instead of penetrating into the fibers they need grease but than - no shine.

I am sorry. I forgot. We got them at Little Joe's Boot Shop across the street north of Langston's. We looked at some at Langston's that same day. I know my son bought some a year ago at Langston's. Long story short.......both stores carried Hondo's. Probably the only stores in Oklahoma that carry them. Little Joe's has some nice stuff. He also carrie's Whites Packer Boots. I have never had any, but I have heard good things.

Little Joe's will measure/fit you for Whites Boots, IMO, Whites are a very good choice for handmade work boots, have been wearing White's for several years (I have packers and smokejumpers). You can get the smokejumper in roughout leather, also.

White's Boots
    4002 East Ferry Avenue
    Spokane, WA 99202
    800-541-3786

For other boots, ML Leddy does good work.
    They are in the Fort Worth Stockyards area.
    2455 North Main
    Fort Worth, TX 76164
    888-565-2668

Last edited:
    My best fitting pair I actually had custom made in Thailand of all places. Cobra skin no less for a grand total of $110.

My best fitting pair I actually had custom made in Thailand of all places. Cobra skin no less for a grand total of $110.
    Yeah.........just depends on how much Baht you got

Kimmel boot company. Comanche, TX. High quality boots and exacting measurements. You'll pay for it, but it's worth every penny

unless you have some weird ass feet, quality boots like lucchese's fit great off the rack.

lucky me to have a retail store of theirs 20 min away.

have a couple pairs and there would be zero point in going "full custom"

Some people truly have the need for custom shit. some just like to feel special.