• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Dies?

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    I'm thinking of having a custom sizing die made for my 300WM. Reason being that I don't want to buy one of those special base collets for the bulge that formes above the belt. So my questions are can a custom die size the area above the belt corectly, & who would you have make the die?

Re: Custom Dies?

I'd talk to either Redding or RCBS first, to see if the idea is practical. I'll bet that a one-off custom die will easily cost as much(or more) as the Innovative Technologies die.

If you decide to go ahead with the project, I'd talk to Neil Jones (Neil Jones Custom Products), or the various benchrest gunsmiths that make dies.

http://www.larrywillis.com/

If you run really hot loads your going to need the innovative technologies die anyway. I have my own minimum spec 300 WM reamer and only need the IT die to resize brass not fired in my chamber. Redding FL-S bushing die will take good care of your brass.

Will an S die size lower than others? My issue is really a shiny ring about 1/8" above the belt that causes hard extraction. Not really a "bulge". I can see it after extracting a fired case. My die will size it down about .0005" but it's still hard extracting. Never hard chambering. It also only shows itself after a few reloads.

nicholst55 ......

Read the Tech Tips section on my website. Our new <span style="font-weight: bold">Digital Headspace Gauge </span>effectively makes ALL of your dies into custom dies. It helps resize cases much more accurately by comparing one of your fired cases (at the shoulder) to one of your resized cases.
    Then it displays the chamber clearance (at the shoulder) that YOUR handloads have in YOUR particular chamber, so you can set your die height perfectly. Check it out.

- Innovative