• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Custom dies

Pritch

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2010
Hello all

Sending my rifle off for a re barrel

What do we all think of while the chambering is being done to get an identical die made at the same time?

Not a bad idea, but I really don't think it makes much difference vs buying a quality die from Wilson, Forster, Redding, etc. especially for PRS. I believe Wilson makes die blanks.

getting into match rifle

so sending 308 185 gr plus rounds out to 1.5 k with change

just any edge i can get at this point :D

I mean it can't hurt. I've never seen dies as the weak link though. I think powder and bullet selection and load development make more of a difference. Brass prep is critical as well to squeeze out the most you can and get your SD low which you'll def need low single digits if shooting slow 308 bullets.

185 gr juggernaughts
208 amax's
for projectiles

powder AR2208

federal Primers

Lapua Brass

A while back someone posted an alternate method to skin that cat. Get a unsized fired round from the someone who shoots the cartridge you want to chamber for and buy a quality die set in that cartridge. Resize the brass using the full length sizing die you bought. Seat a bullet in the sized brass seated to the depth you want. Send the brass in to a reamer manufacture and ask for a reamer that matches that cartridge. This reamer should match the die you purchased, is it as good a method as sending in fired brass to a custom die shop I do not know, like I said another way to skin the cat.

Reamers will cost about the same as custom die, but the reamer you have may be of more value to other shooters should you decide to sell the reamer.

I have had great sizing dies made by Mark Spencer in Michigan very reasonably priced and good work.