• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom FN .308....Latest Build Finished!!!!!

Da-Law-Dawg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2008
Russell Springs, KY
After some time aquiring the parts, pieces and "pieces parts", my latest build finally came together. With the exception of a few things, most of this build came together from here on "The Hide".

This project started with an FN PBR XP controlled round feed action that I got off of <span style="font-weight: bold">Team-Send-It</span> here. Scott had Benchmark Barrels true the action up and reinstall the factory tube. The action had never been fired when it arrived at my FFL.

Next came the furniture, I got the McMillian A4 from a close friend complete with the CDI bottom metal. He was fixing to order an XLR for his SPR and made me a good deal on the set-up. I had previously bedded and textured the stock for him and it had rode out life mainly as a safe queen, in short, same as new. I have always loved the look and feel of the A4's, so it was a no-brainer.

Next came the barrel. After a PM and phone call, the action was on it's way to <span style="color: #FF6600"><span style="font-weight: bold">bugholes</span></span> aka Greg Young of Southern Precision Rifles in Naples, FL. I can't say enough about Greg! He was a super guy to deal with and was one of the most painless transactions I have ever had. From the first PM and call, Greg was super.

Throughout the entire deal, he was great to deal with and kept me posted on the status throughout. Greg installed a Rock 5R 1-10 twist M24 contour tube finished at 22" and set it up for an R&D Precision RAD Rapid break. Randy at R&D Preicision aka <span style="color: #FF6600"><span style="font-weight: bold">HateCA</span></span> hooked me up on the brake and shipped it straight to Greg for me. Greg's work was phenomenal and turn-around time was unreal!!!! Greg shipped the action with a chambering aid as a bonus....what a guy!

While Greg was plumbing the action, I got ahold of a new Badger Ord EFR from <span style="font-weight: bold">Brushout</span> here and got it in shortly before the action arrived. During that time, I prepped the stock for bedding and got everything ready.

After the action arrived, I flew in on the stock. I pillared and bedded the action in Marine-Tex and followed Randy's (R&D Precision) method for pillaring the FN's. After the bedding cured out, I milled out the snout and installed the EFR. Lastly, I milled the action for the CDI bottom metal and tested everything for fit and function. I had to tweak the bottom metal inlet a tad for reliability and all was well. She feeds from a five and ten round mag better than any other set-up I have ran.

Last came the glass. I went with a US Optics SN3 1.8x10x44 Ergo. The SN3 is a 35mm tube, Scale 1 MOA reticle w/red illumination. Set up with 1/2 MOA EREK elevation and US #1 1/2 MOA windage. The whole works anchored down with USO 35mm low rings. I had to mill the snout on the Near 20 MOA base to clear the 44mm Ergo Objective a tad and got her bolted in. After insuring the erector was spun in and boresighted, I sat back for a bit and admired the rifle. To say the least, I am tickled pink.

I loaded some rounds for her and currently waiting to get her to the range. Lord knows, between work, daddy duties and the weather, I have been chomping at the bit to get her to the range. I have a couple of days off here soon and heading to the range to burn some powder.

Well, I have wore everyone's head out reading so I guess I need to post the pics. Here she is ready to go, minus coating the action and paint for the stock............

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

Thanks to all the guys here that contributed on the build!

Stay tuned.....range report to follow!

Re: Custom FN .308....Latest Build Finished!!!!!

Absolutely beautiful. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on the fn action cdnn had for cheap. Still looking to get my hands on one...

Looks sweet man!In general a beauty!I'd have to blacken the blinged-out barrel tho,maybe just me,to match the rest is all.Goodshootin'

~R

Congrats on the build! Nice job man!

A current alternative is to grab a Tikka T3 and build up from there. You can get T3 for 550, sell the barrel and parts you don't need, and you end up with a superb action as a platform for about the same cost a CDNN's FN action

Bring that nice rifle out to the RCSC on June 25th and put some rounds down range! See what it can do!

Seeing your 10 round magazine makes me think it would snap into the well better than that standard 5. Which do you prefer?

Just from the simple reason that you have a grip and can push it in to seat verses having to slap a shallower mag to seat.

Got to love them Winchesters!! Cool Rifle.

very nice job on the FN. Just get a bolt knob, and it will be complete

Congrats very nice build!

Thanks for the compliments guys. All the credit goes to Greg on the action work. The "blinged out" barrel is yet to be coated, along with the action. Still trying to decide what I want to do on it and the stock.

Load development forthcoming and 80 rounds laddered up with SMK's and Amax's awaiting a range trip.

KYS338, would love to see you guys at RCSC in June but I am scheduled to work that weekend!
frown.gif

Hopefully I can squeeze a shoot in there with you all before the end of the year if I can find someone that feels sorry for me and teams up! LOL!

Nice rifle and i bet a shooter. Wish i would have bought 1 of those actions when CDNN had them. Called a couple weeks ago to get 1 for a 243 build and their all gone, no more they say.

Very robust rifle.
Though I'd like a T3 action I sure wouldn't substitute a FN for one.
Let us know how it shoots.

looks great. Scope looks to sit low, you don't see the EFR through it ? ( i had that issue)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks great. Scope looks to sit low, you don't see the EFR through it ? ( i had that issue) </div></div>

Thanks Impact!

Scope isn't as low as it looks, the 35mm tube kinda throws ya off when looking at it. The cheek piece is actually about 3/8" up off the comb. No issues seeing the EFR either. Even set at 1.8x you still don't see it through the scope.

Will be getting you guys a range report first of the week. Loads are ready to go, gonna run SMKs and Amaxs laddered up with Varget and IMR 8028 XBR. Will post up results and chrono numbers with report. Hoping to get hr dialed in and a load nailed down.

Great looking FN. mine also is not ALL black, barrel is like yours, been thinking of having it coated but not for sure. Let us know how she shoots!

Time to revive the thread a bit guys. Can't say enough about <span style="color: #FF6600"><span style="font-weight: bold">bugholes</span></span> aka Greg Young of Southern Precision Rifles! His work speaks volumes in itself!

I've had the opportunity to do some load development with the FN these past few weeks. Here was an earlier foray with her posted here......

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...814#Post2615814

Yesterday, myself and <span style="font-weight: bold">deh223</span> headed over to the farm to do some ladder testing with the FN with 178 and 208 Amax's. The 178's showed significant promise, BUT the 208 Amax ladder test left both of us scratching our heads and wide-eyed. Here's a pic of the ladder test with the 208's over Varget........mind you, this is a 10 shot ladder test with different charges for each round. Shot at 313 yards, shots 8-10 mic'd out at .786" (.26 MOA) at 300 yards! I definitely think I found "THE NODE" with more refining to follow.....

IMAG0170.jpg

I can't say enough about Greg or his work! I am tickled pink with the rifle and how she's doing. Granted, the "nut behind the stock" may loosen up from time to time, but the craftsmanship that went into her speaks volumes! Thanks Greg!!

I like the looks of the CDI, I may have to send my new FN in for a set.

One question if I send it do CDI and the modify the receiver do I need to get it refinished also?? Z

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z-man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One question if I send it do CDI and the modify the receiver do I need to get it refinished also?? Z </div></div>

All that is changed is two very small relief cuts at the fron of the mag well.You can touch it up with cold blue and never know it was done.It's not something you see when the gun is in the stock unless your looking for it.

Sweet rig. Im picking up an SPR action, CDI B/M, and A4 with loggerhead myself! Im going to do a 260. Cant wait. The. SPR is a great baseline.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z-man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One question if I send it do CDI and the modify the receiver do I need to get it refinished also?? Z </div></div>

All that is changed is two very small relief cuts at the fron of the mag well.You can touch it up with cold blue and never know it was done.It's not something you see when the gun is in the stock unless your looking for it. </div></div>

+1 on the above. Very simple mod and not noticable unless you are looking for it out of the stock.

Thanks again guys on the compliments. Fixing to run my second ladder (refining test) with both 178 & 208 Amax's. From the looks of the last ladder test, I think the 208's are gonna be hard to beat!

Do you happen to have any pictures of the cuts you made for the CDI?

Thats a great looking rifle, I too purchased one through the deal and have yet to get it all put together yet. But I use to be a police officer in Cape Coral Fla and can tell you that Greg from Southern Precision Rifles is a one of a kind builder, he does great work and is a really good guy to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you happen to have any pictures of the cuts you made for the CDI? </div></div>

Here ya go turbo, here's a pic of one (not mine) that is mod'd like mine. It's a straightforward mod to the front of the mag well......

IMAG0099.jpg

Also finished round two of the ladder test with the 208 Amax's. After I got my initial ladder test done at 300, I set out to refine on the node I hit initially. I loaded up a finer ladder test within that node and stretched her out to 425 yards. Here's the result from that ladder test today.......

downloadfile-2.jpg

Rounds 1-3 really came in there and netted out at 1.254" center to center at 425 yards! The wind gusted about the time I lit round #4 and pushed her out just a bit but the vertical dispersion of all 4 rounds was just over 1.6" at that distance.

Will be loading up lots of 5 rounds for group shots here in the near future on the loads listed above. Again, Greg (bugholes) is the man!

That barrel looks like a truck axle. Good looking rifle for sure.