• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom gun build??'s

mr4mojo2risin0

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2010
Zanesvlle,Ohio
Thinking about building a 600 yard gun. I am new to this scene and was trying to get some info from you experienced shooters. First of all I need some input on calibers to research. I reload but was looking for a standard caliber since I have no experience with making my own brass and fireforming. As soon as I decide on what caliber I will be back to ask questions about components, and gunsmiths. Any input from you guys is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance from this NEWB!

Re: Custom gun build??'s

Call William Roscoe, you will NOT regret it... I have shot a few of his rifles over the past two years.

For a standard caliber, I'd look into the 6BR with a .271 or .272 neck. Throated long enough for the 105-107 gr. bullets.

There's lots of other calibers, but that's where I'd start.

There's a whole website full of info. if you head over to:

6mmbr dot com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrmojo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thinking about building a 600 yard gun. I am new to this scene and was trying to get some info from you experienced shooters. First of all I need some input on calibers to research. I reload but was looking for a standard caliber since I have no experience with making my own brass and fireforming. As soon as I decide on what caliber I will be back to ask questions about components, and gunsmiths. Any input from you guys is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance from this NEWB! </div></div>

Build a 260 or 6.5x47 Lapua and dont look back

6.5CM if you want to shoot factory ammo

If you are talking a 600 benchrest gun, then the top dog now is Sam Hall out of NC and he just switched from the Dasher to the 6.5x47 with a 130 Berger bullet.

Lot of people are now looking at the 6.5x47 for tactial matches too as it has great factory Lapua brass (not a wildcat) stock dies, will fit in standard 308 mags and shoots well inside a 308 for wind and hell of a lot flatter. Go with a 8.5 twist, call Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge and tell him you want a min SAAMI no neck turn reamer for the 6.5x47 with a 130 bullet.

Vernon Harrison of Central VA Tactical training is now having Jeff Walker of Walker Custom Rifles in Culpepper VA build his clients tactical rifles and his personal rifles. Lot of guys here know Vernon and he demands a great gun and builder, so that speaks highly of Jeff. He is a top notch LR shooter also and knows what makes a great shooting rifle.

BH

The nice part of having a 260 or 308.........you run out of bullets, hit your local store. Odds are they will carry the bullet you want/need and at least keep you shooting.

you run out of 6.5x47, hope you live next to someone with a huge shooting draw that MAY carry 6.5x47, but unlikely. Thus, dead in the water.

I shoot 6.5x47 and relied heavily on a buddy who doesn't live next door to reload and spec out the stuff we're shooting, thus ammo rationing is/was important.

Just food for thought. Next build will most likely be a 260 for me.

+1 for Mr. Roscoe's comments.

Smiths? APA, Mr. Roscoe, GAP, KMW.....

I was leaning toward the 260 for a couple reasons ballistics for one and availability and cost of components. I guess since I am planning to drop a good size dime on a rifle why should I worry about reloading costs? I load for about 8 different calibers already, this reloading can easily lead to a divorce if you don't watch out!!!!!!!!

If your looking at a 600 yard BR gun the 6.5x47 has done well for me. I run it in a 8.5 twist krieger on a Stiller Viper drop port in a Shehane Tracker stock. With a 8-32 3200 on top it comes in about 14.5 pounds, well under the limit for IBS light gun.

65x47005.jpg

65x47010.jpg

308???
put this ole war horse to bed already

Most if not all serious shooters reload
Why handicap yourself by shooting a 308, unless your a F/TR shooter

any of the 6 or 6.5 will be ideal
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...165#Post1657165

just food for thought

personally i shoot 6.5x47
thou should i decide to change