• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom gunsmithing

Gondy223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2006
Troy, MT.
I need some help choosing a custom gun shop to send in my Remington 700 BDL chambered in 30.06. I know that most people will say to have a custom barreled action built, but I am really partial to this particular rifle. I am looking to get sub moa performance out of it. Can anyone help?

Re: Custom gunsmithing

Kirby Allen is just west of you in Ft. Shaw. I'd suggest getting a hold of him to see what he can do for you locally.

His email is [email protected]

Just out of curiosity, do you want to get the rifle as it is presently configured to shoot sub-MOA, or are you looking at a re-barrel, but keeping it in .30-06?

There are all sorts of tricks and tweaks that can be performed on a factory rifle to improve accuracy and many can be done by you. Probably the simplest is developing a load that your rifle shoots well, assuming you handload.

I do hand load for this particular rifle, and I am getting about 1 MOA at 100 yards. I have loaded every possible recipe that I can think of, and I haven't been able to get much better that 1 MOA. I am looking more to re-barrel, get the crown checked out, check headspace, put a new extended bolt handle and put a knoxx stock on it. Eventually, I would like to get a supressor for it too.

With some more load work and floating the barrel and bedding the action, you could probably get that a bit tighter. However, a new barrel on a trued and blueprinted action will remove a lot of variables.

I have no experience with the Knoxx stocks but to me they look like they would not be particularly solid - purely on looks here - I have no hands-on time with them.

The old '06 still has plenty of life left in her and is a great long range chambering. Scroll through the posts in the .30-06 thread in the Reloading forum and you will find a wealth of information there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gondy223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking to get sub moa performance out of it. Can anyone help? </div></div>

What combinations of powders and bullets have you tried so far?

If you are just wanting sub MOA, then this could (should) be done with what you have. Getting most factory guns to shoot under MOA is not hard, unless there's something wrong with the rifle/scope set-up.

If you want a new build and add on all the other options you are talking about, then work on the load after the rifle is complete.

I can't remember off the top of my head what I loaded for it. I do remember that I was trying a bunch of 168gr smk's and 175gr smk's for the range. I pretty much tried everything in the book, but I have been wondering if I was using too light of bullets. I also ran some 110 gr v-maxes for coyotes, but I never tried them at the range. My end goal is to really build a more tactical rifle out of the old girl, and to be honest, I really prefer the '06 to my .308.

The '06 is a great round. People don't consider it much anymore because it's not the popular or "sexy" round right now.
The 168's or 175 should work fine. For long range, the 168 is a so-so choice. I'd lean towards the 175 or the 190 SMK. Keep track of all the loads you try and all the measurements so you can repeat it. If you had some info, I could help you.

I appreciate the help, when I go home on leave I will see what I got. Thank you