• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Custom H&R barrels?

HSNARC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Central Illinois
I have an H&R 980 ultra slug in 12ga. Is there anyone currently making custom barrels for these? Any builders who made a one off? I wouldn’t think the process of building barrels for these would be ultra difficult?

It would be super handi if I could buy an aftermarket centerfire barrel for this old heavy beast.

H&R used to offer extra barrels for their Handi rifles. It had to be a center fire rifle from the factory.
The cost was right at $75 plus shipping.
They did not sell aftermarket barrels for the shotguns.

You can buy chamber inserts that allow about any break open shotgun to shoot pistol cartridges. They are available on ebay.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
If you can find a shogun barrel, you can have it “stubbed”..cutting the barrel off around four inches from the breechface, then threading the chamber and threading in any caliber your frame can handle. H&R had several different frames and while you could put a shotgun barrel on a rifle frame, you couldn’t do the reverse. I have one in 223 and found a spare 12ga barrel at a gunstore.

Some shops around lower Mi were doing straight wall cartridge conversions now that they are legal for deer.