• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Hunting Long Action

Money aside, which action is best including all other aspects

• Just get the Zermatt Origin

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Impact NBK

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Defiance Ruckus Ultralight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Defiance anTi-X

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Kelby Nanook

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • BAT Vesper

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Terminus Kratos Lite

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Curtis Helix Hybrid Hunter

• Pierce titanium skele-ti

• BAT Vampire

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

Good Boi

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2019
Sadly, California.
I have a XLR Element 4.0 MG and a MPA Matrix chassis, both inlet for Rem 700 LA pattern actions. Seeing as I have the chassis' picked out already, looks like the BAT Vampire is out of the race.

The Matrix I'll use for precision shooting 6.5 PRC and/or 7 PRC. In this setup I'll care less about weight, maybe even adding weight to the chassis to offset the weight lost in the action, if needed/desired.

Depending where I go hunting, I'll use the XLR chassis with a 16-20" 308 barrel and an Accurate Mag 308 LA magazine (https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazines/308-win-long-action-sssf-magazine/) or a 6.5 PRC/7 PRC barrel. The 308 would be better suited for areas that don't have long unobstructed line of sight (300-400 yards max, but more likely taking game within 50-150 yards) while the 6.5 PRC & 7 PRC will be better when I could use more reach and/or hunting larger game out of state.

Actions I'm considering:
- Zermatt Origin = Kind of a heavy option, I'd prefer to go lighter. I've read that there's sometimes binding issues with the interchangeable bolt heads, making it not the smoothest action.
- Impact NBK = Looks great but I don't know if the LA will take Proof 737R prefit barrels for SA (sounds like the SA NBK will will take 737Rs).
- Defiance Ruckus Ultralight = lots of people are saying stay away since it changed hands/went up in price
- Defiance anTi-X = lots of people are saying stay away since it changed hands/went up in price, also I don't know if it takes AICS mags and Proof's Ruckus prefits.
- Kelby Nanook = not sure if that window cut out becomes an issue for gunk getting in very often or not.
- BAT Vesper = looks amazing, but is overbuilt for my needs (6.5 CM/308 to 300 PRC), but again looks amazing so I'm not sure if there's anything better but it's also the most expensive and there may be smoother bolts out there, better timing, etc etc. for all I know.
- Terminus Kratos Lite = not sure if that window cut out becomes an issue for gunk getting in very often or not. I like that it's a shorter bolt throw. Wish that it accepted Proof's SA prefits.
- Curtis Helix Hybrid Hunter = not sure if that window cut out becomes an issue for gunk getting in very often or not. I like the idea that the bolt is smooth on the bottom so that it doesn't potentially scratch my Lapua brass.
- Pierce titanium skele-ti = seems titanium isn't ideal according to some
- Other

Last edited:
If money isn’t an issue the bat actions are tough to beat whether you go vesper or vampire. The flat bottom vampire will give lots of bedding surface. The kelbly nanook would probably be my top choice (as the price of the bats are steep). I love the atlas tactical Line of actions and the nanook being integral, buttery smooth and light checks all the boxes for a hunting action for me.

Are you wanting to get a LA and eventually run short action rounds out of it? If so, you are looking at prefits all wrong. Second, you are going to have extremely limited options for chassis and making both LA/SA work defeating the purpose of a lightweight action.

Are you wanting to get a LA and eventually run short action rounds out of it? If so, you are looking at prefits all wrong. Second, you are going to have extremely limited options for chassis and making both LA/SA work defeating the purpose of a lightweight action.

I figured if you are will to slum it with an Origin we could fit a Mouse in there weight wise. 😉
For similar weight, I wouldn't consider anything over the Origin since the LA can take almost any of Proof's centerfire prefit barrels (I think .223 is the exception) and the action is at a great price point. If I wasn't wanting to slap this in a hunting chassis occasionally, I'd be fine with spending more/getting more features/weighing more (which is a route I'd still consider). I'm still curious about best action without a weight consideration... I could always get two good actions, but would prefer one excellent action (price comes into play when I start thinking about something like x2 Vesper actions).

Last edited:
Reactions: Hondo1
I have a kratos lite and it is very solid feeling. I really like it and it practically closes itself which maybe could be a good thing with dangerous game?? That said the bats are just sweet and I did pick up an origin for my buddy’s build and I’m super impressed with how well timed the bolt is with the TT trigger. Very lite lift and smooth closure. It will also do what you’re asking for. A few oz’s can potentially be made up elsewhere. Hard to go wrong here but I’d not buy a defiance.

I will say I'm very much liking the idea of the Kratos Lite because of the shorter degree bolt throw. I hate when the bolt knob is too close to the optic. It seems like Terminus gets more praise than Curtis and I like that Proof makes prefits for the Kratos.

I know a lot of people say that a 60 degree bolt is not as easy as a 90 degree bolt, but would the Kratos Lite be comparable to or better than an Origin action or is the economy Origin still going to be easier?

Last edited:
Both are great actions honestly. I put together a 7 PRC for a buddy on the Origin and that thing has a fantastically smooth and light bolt lift. Married up with the trigger tech special just right I guess. Lots of prefits for those so it would be a great choice to save a few bucks.

None of the actions you're looking at are that light with the exception of the Anti. Maybe look at the titanium TL3. Or these guys

If it were me and I wasn't actually that concerned about weight I'd do the NBK just because as an Impact it's got to be a sweet action to run.