• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom in ear hearing protection.

King_beardsly

MMPRL & Low Dollar Precision
Minuteman
  • Jun 12, 2018
    Beast Coast
    I’m looking to upgrade from the foam in ear protection to some custom molded one, does anyone have a suggestion.

My wife is in the Hearing Aid business. She made me some years ago and they work and feel great. I use them for shooting,grass cutting ETC.
    Any hearing aid place should be able to make you some.

They are hearing aid people that use the same tech in ear pro for shooters. 30% off sale right now to. I have a pair on order.

I went to my ENT doctor and requested moldings for high noise work environment

they molded both ears and let it sit for about 10 minutes then 150 dollars later and two weeks I have my rifle protection past the noise of my 300 win mag

my issue with anything but the foam plugs is when i apply my cheek weld, the ear canal must slight change because the plugs no longer seal correctly and are useless for that ear.

I have loss of hearing in both ears as well as constant tinnitus from shooting and being around loud machinery. My mother was completely deaf and a few years ago made the decision to protect what hearing I had left. Had an audiologist make a set of molds and then ordered a set of ESP in-ear protection from the molds. Expensive but have no regrets and worth every penny.

I have used custom IEM's for several, several years as a musician. A few years ago while getting new molds (you need to have new ones every few years, as your ears change shape, not allowing for proper fit) I talked to my audiologist about getting customs for shooting. She told me the tiny bones and cartridge surrounding the ear is what transmits the concussion of firearm blasts into the ear canal. Therefore, she recommended I use muffs. I did get a set of customs and used them all last year. While they did do what they were supposed to do, in regards to noise suppression, I still had a headache after shooting and RO'ing a match. I'm assuming because the concussion being transmitted into the ear drum. I have since went back to muffs.

Last edited:
    Reactions: b6graham
    I’ll wear muffs for certain things with the bolt gun like shooting indoors or when a MD says to shoot from inside a pipe but I have a had time getting a good cheek weld on the bolt gun without breaking the seal with the muffs. I run muffs for pretty much everything else since they don’t interfere.

You can also go to any audiologists and they can get your molds and amen them in for you. I shot trap for a number of years as well as long range and work around Turbines they are the only way to go

I've been using these for about a year, and really like them. NRR 31. Inexpensive, easy to mold, different size options for the "tip". The only problem I have encountered is they block sound so well, I have a problem hearing range commands/instruction with them in. So sometimes I put the right one in, and use electronic muffs over my left ear and tilted up on my right so it doesn't interfere with cheek weld.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
    From what I've seen poking aroundthe customs have the same db reduction as good throw aways. Not true?

It's pricey and probably does more/has more features than you are currently looking at, but if you want the best in ear unit look at a Silynx Clarus XPR.

Mine have a custom in ear retainer that I had to sit to have a mold taken.

Reactions: johnnyvw
    ESP Hearing Protection solved all my problems
    Get a mold made from an Audiologist (mine cost $60), send it to them and have custom hearing protection made.

Reactions: johnnyvw
    I'm a provider for Ear Inc which offers both the custom molded plugs provided by them and their authorized provider as well as plugs that have integrated electronics that allow you to hear sounds you don't wish to block or filter out. If you check out their website, you can find an authorized Ear Inc provider near you who can help you with the various solutions available. They have a very large selection of products related to hearing protection.

Most big trap or skeet shoots will have someone on sight doing IEMs while you wait. They've been popular with shotgunners for decades.
    This is where I had mine done. In between shooting I had mine molded, then I picked them up the next day. IIRC, he even had me shoulder my gun and get a cheek weld to simulate the position I'd be in when shooting so the seal wasn't broken. I had mine done with Noise filters so you can hear certain pitches better like voices. If I were to do it again, I'd just get standard plugs without the filters.

Which ESP models do you guys use? I've been contemplating ponying up for something like this.

29$ for 200 nrr 33 throwaways, vs xx$ customs that only protect to nrr 31. Hard to make a case for customs, unless you get the xxxx$ with electronics. Am I wrong?

I did the local hearing aide center for custom ear plugs too. About $150 with a week wait time. Westone dealer, came in a "Auqanot" case like for kids to keep water out of their ears. Work great for pistols, shotguns and rifles suppressed. However, if shooting rifle with a brake then I'd add muffs on top of plugs.

29$ for 200 nrr 33 throwaways, vs xx$ customs that only protect to nrr 31. Hard to make a case for customs, unless you get the xxxx$ with electronics. Am I wrong?

ESP > Custom Molded > Throwaways

Based on sound quality and comfort. You can also have them molded with filters so you can adjust them as needed.

ESP's for shooting and a set of custom-molded plugs for yard work, ect. If I couldn't swing the ESP then I would be just fine surviving with custom molded. It would be hard to go back to foam plugs but I wear ear pro daily.

ESP > Custom Molded > Throwaways

Based on sound quality and comfort. You can also have them molded with filters so you can adjust them as needed.

ESP's for shooting and a set of custom-molded plugs for yard work, ect. If I couldn't swing the ESP then I would be just fine surviving with custom molded. It would be hard to go back to foam plugs but I wear ear pro daily.
    Thanks. Ill give them a shot, good place to put money in this sport.

I almost pulled the trigger on. some ESPs, but a open pistol shooter talked me out of them, reasons he laid out were as the body hydrates dehydrates the ear canal opens and closes and he suffered hearing loss from his ESPs, he wears foam ear plugs and muffs now, I don't shoot open but limited, and I bought some Peltor EEP-100 with Skull Screw Tips, these are bonafide 30db noise reduction, these things rock and cost less than 200 bucks

Reactions: Rant Durden
    The Decibullz percussion molded plugs are pretty good. I ran them all weekend in the 2 day Hornady match and never had problems hearing commands or noticing blast.

I recently got some sound gear platinums from house of hearing. Chris Bain (owner) did my molds for free at 2019 limited nationals in st George and gives a hell of a discount from msrp.

I haven’t played with them much behind a center fired rifle but I absolutely love them for uspsa. I think I’ll still double up for brakes rifles but In ear electronics I think are sufficient When running a can.

like others have said, with ROing open shooters i still double up, but I still did that with foamies underneath my MSAs. There’s a definite V of the concussion coming from the comp of an open gun I try to stay it but with some stages it’s just not possible.

at the end of the day you need to evaluate whether you want the comfort of in ear and the ability to effectively communicate on the range.

I am currently using some moldable plugs that seem to work??? I have Walker Muffs but like many others they interfer with my cheek weld. Foam plus do not fit my ear canals.

Westone came to work offering custom in ear pro and I sat and had them do a set for me. They were a little uncomfortable for me after about four hours of use. I got a set of comtacs and haven’t used the westones since.

If this helps I got these and have used them on hunts and shooting most of the days. They are custom molded to your ear so comfort isn’t an issue.

I just had a pair SoundGear Custom Fit Platinum in-ear custom made and have only used them once so far.

I typically use over ear electronic muffs, but the SoundGear seem to operate differently.

They don’t seem to clamp the sound (shots) like my muffs and almost seem like I have bionic hearing.

When I fire, I can hear the shots and echo very clearly. They are blocking the sound as my ears don’t ring etc. However, the sound I hear is very sharp.

If I set them to Mute, they definitely seem to be protecting my ears, although not like over ear muffs in total sound reduction.

Is this how they are intended to work? Do I just not have the volume adjusted correctly?

Reactions: BOISCOID
    I just had a pair SoundGear Custom Fit Platinum in-ear custom made and have only used them once so far.

I typically use over ear electronic muffs, but the SoundGear seem to operate differently.

They don’t seem to clamp the sound (shots) like my muffs and almost seem like I have bionic hearing.

When I fire, I can hear the shots and echo very clearly. They are blocking the sound as my ears don’t ring etc. However, the sound I hear is very sharp.

If I set them to Mute, they definitely seem to be protecting my ears, although not like over ear muffs in total sound reduction.

Is this how they are intended to work? Do I just not have the volume adjusted correctly?

I found with mine you gotta play with the modes and volume for each setting to suit your taste. For super heavy winds I like mode two at a low volume setting. For normal days I like mode four with the volume all the way turned up. I haven’t bird or coyote hunted with them, but I have a feeling mode one with a medium setting is going to give a distinct hearing advantage when listening for game.

as for the sound not cutting out completely, that’s a fairly standard feature with high end electronic hearing protection.

nicest thing about sound gears in my opinion is that there is no doubt in my mind or learning curve identifying exactly where and what direction sound is originating from.