• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Custom Krylon painting

PETEJRV

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2006
Sturgis South Dakota
www.corbon.com
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knows who is offering custom Krylon type paint jobs for rifles. I know that Iron Brigade was doing it but I dont think they offer it anymore. I know that you should paint your own rifle but trust when I say you don't want to see a rifle after I have painted it.

Any info would be great.

Pete

This is what I am looking for.

http://www.deathfromafar.com/htm/08_iba_weaponsys_superstandard.shtml

Re: Custom Krylon painting

HateCA does I think. PM Megacab, he's got another guy who did some good work too.

Now, for the DIY...I cant draw a stickfigure. But, practice a few times on a 2x4 til you feel comfortable. Cottonballs inside the Butler Creeks, take the barreled action (tape the stuff lower than the stock line, tape your knobs on the scope and go nuts. If you foul it up, who cares - put on another coat.

Personally if you want a nice job like that, don't Krylon it unless you want to change it in a year or two. Go with KG Gunkote or something in that lines that will withstand use. Unless its going to be a safe queen use something else. I say this because I paint stocks with Krylon myself. I use my guns for hunting and the first Krylon job I did has lasted 1 year and 3 months and its ready to do again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GHOSTRECON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knows who is offering custom Krylon type paint jobs for rifles. I know that Iron Brigade was doing it but I dont think they offer it anymore. I know that you should paint your own rifle but trust when I say you don't want to see a rifle after I have painted it.

Any info would be great.

Pete

This is what I am looking for.

http://www.deathfromafar.com/htm/08_iba_weaponsys_superstandard.shtml

</div></div>
IDK who builds them custom stock rifles, but they sure are proud of them. I'd build them all day long for 750 less on all options

Just givin ya a bit of friendly ribbin' Pete...lol
I know you are well aware of the background there...

That pattern does look pretty good though...

It's all good man no harm no foul. It's just hume ever paints there stuff does a VERY good job and I would love to have one of mine done that way.

Good times,

Pete

Nice lookin' pattern... I did something similar to that on a 270... Used pine needles for the stencil... There's a pic on my site..

Any ideas how to reproduce the Bell and Carlson look? The spiderwebbing and the texture?

Will a primer allow Krylon be more durable?

I was thinking about painting a rifle with krylon the other day. I know it won't last more that a year or two at the most.

So then I thought, what if you went over the krylon with some matte clear Duracoat? I wonder if that would increase the durability of the spray paint?

I have only used the clear coat once but it seems very similar to the regular duracoat (needs mixed w/ hardener) just a little thinner an no color.

CM

I just did that, Cleared (Duracoat) these yesterday. Rattle can and Webbing spray with Duracoat Gloss. The Green one is Silver and Black Webbing. Even did my Rest.
Guns1014.jpg

Guns1017.jpg

Guns1012.jpg

Looks real good.

Would you mind throwing that sucker down a rocky hill and report back as to how the paint job held up
laugh.gif

We would all greatly appreciate your sacrifice.

CM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coyote3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally if you want a nice job like that, don't Krylon it unless you want to change it in a year or two. Go with KG Gunkote or something in that lines that will withstand use. Unless its going to be a safe queen use something else. I say this because I paint stocks with Krylon myself. I use my guns for hunting and the first Krylon job I did has lasted 1 year and 3 months and its ready to do again. </div></div>

Seasons change.
Colors change.
Krylon cheap!

TC

Like already stated, Krylon isnt that durable but it's cheap. If you can boil water you can use a rattle can and get decent results. It's not hard to do, just takes some elbow grease to clean all the parts and time to mask and make templates. I have been asked to do others but I would feel guilty cause it's not hard.

I used 3 standard Krylon camoflague colors and black duracoat on this one a couple of weeks ago. All in all it took about 3 hours of my time.

IMG_9368.jpg