• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom LMT MWS Barrels

RickyRodney

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2014
MD
Route to Choose for a custom LMT barrel.

#1 send off sacrificial barrel to a smith to have a custom barrel made. Riverbend, etc.

#2 Buy a custom AR10 barrel from Craddock, etc. and have D.wilson convert it.

It's cheaper to have d.wilson convert the barrel at this point but I was gathering opinions. Plus then I can sell my unfired 6.5 LMT barrel. I didnt know if anyone has done this and there is a benefit in using the factory barrel extension? I want to go this route for contour and gas length choices in case anyone wants to say why I want to do this.

I've done #2 with an MRP and it worked great, but just be aware that there are barrel profile limitations. I initially sent D.Wilson a heavy profile CLE barrel and he said it wouldn't easily allow the LMT extension to be fitted. I then sent him an SPR-profile barrel from Craddock and it turned out fantastic.

Edit: I've come to the conclusion that if you're just doing run-n-gun shooting, the LMT factory barrels are fine, just don't expect precision. For precision, it's best to just spend the money on a quality barrel and have it converted.

I've done #2 with an MRP and it worked great, but just be aware that there are barrel profile limitations. I initially sent D.Wilson a heavy profile CLE barrel and he said it wouldn't easily allow the LMT extension to be fitted. I then sent him an SPR-profile barrel from Craddock and it turned out fantastic.

Edit: I've come to the conclusion that if you're just doing run-n-gun shooting, the LMT factory barrels are fine, just don't expect precision. For precision, it's best to just spend the money on a quality barrel and have it converted.
Yeah I have heard the same from others and I was just going to cut to the chase and go that route.

The work D.Wilson does is excellent, but be prepared to wait a 8-12 weeks (from my experience). I would recommend sending the barrel with a gas block and tube and have him install it all.

Craddock 22" 6.5cm converted by Dwilson.
Totally happy with the way it turned out and shoots.

Attachments

• 20220723_182416.jpg
    20220723_182416.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 207
Yes that's the 15.5 upper. Gas is a +3. The gas block sticks out the front of the handguard and meets flush just as a standard rifle gas does on a 12.5" upper.
Thanks.
It’s a bummer than we can’t do any of the plus 2” barrels with any of the regular production uppers. Hopefully the new 15” comes soon.

Thanks.
It’s a bummer than we can’t do any of the plus 2” barrels with any of the regular production uppers. Hopefully the new 15” comes soon.
It's kinda a bummer the new ones will be shorter too since the +3 matches up so well. A +2 isn't gonna match up as nicely on a 15"

It's kinda a bummer the new ones will be shorter too since the +3 matches up so well. A +2 isn't gonna match up as nicely on a 15"
I’m told the new design is only about 1/2” shorter. Wouldn’t a +2 work perfectly if that’s the case? I guess it wouldn’t work as well for a +3 if that is true.
The only reason I didn’t by the prototype model like you have (kinda wish I had) is that I couldn’t run a 16” plus a can on it. I understand that was the reason for the redesign.

I’m told the new design is only about 1/2” shorter. Wouldn’t a +2 work perfectly if that’s the case? I guess it wouldn’t work as well for a +3 if that is true.
The only reason I didn’t by the prototype model like you have (kinda wish I had) is that I couldn’t run a 16” plus a can on it. I understand that was the reason for the redesign.
Yeah the +2 will still work it will probably just be covering half the gas block. The +3 will have 1/2" of gas tube exposed. They will all work technically its just an aesthetics thing in the end. I never planned to put a 16" barrel in mine so it wasn't a concern. I have a 12.5" upper for that. I just love the way the +3 lines up so perfectly on the 15.5. Like they were made to go together.

Reactions: mrtoyz
d.wilson checking in to answer any questions,
When ordering a barrel for an MWS in 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor, do we need to provide the LMT barrel extension or is this something that you manufacture and fit to the barrel?

The work D.Wilson does is excellent, but be prepared to wait a 8-12 weeks (from my experience). I would recommend sending the barrel with a gas block and tube and have him install it all.
I hope not. His site said 2-3 week lead time when I sent my barrel in for a chop. Tomorrow makes 3 weeks, hope to see some shipping info soon.

I had other non-LMT work done with a very quick turnaround, but my LMT conversions took a while.

I've heard of the D Wilson conversions but I've yet to see any accuracy or range reports.
I will vouch for the accuracy. I don't have any pics of groups handy on my MWS posted above but I also had him do a 223 Proof for me recently and got these the first trip out a few weeks ago just testing loads. Rifle picture as well. Other loads tested didnt fare as well. (75 hornady BTHP) but the 73elds showed some good promise. The 4 groups pictured of 77s were the only 4 groups I shot with 77s that day and were clear winners. The MWS shoots just as well with 140eld hand loads

Attachments

• 20230108_160855.jpg
    20230108_160855.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 20230108_153928.jpg
    20230108_153928.jpg
    1,017.4 KB · Views: 132
I've heard of the D Wilson conversions but I've yet to see any accuracy or range reports.
I’ll vouch too. There's really nothing to it other than it allows you to add a custom barrel.

I went this route because I couldn't get the LMT 16" barrel to shoot under 1.25ish MOA. I had D.Wilson convert a 16" signature barrel from Craddock and now it's the precision rifle I originally wanted.

I sent D. Wilson a Wilson Combat 24" super sniper barrel in 6.5 creed and it shoots about 1/2 MOA with Norma 143 factory. I only have a 16x scope and old eyes. It can probably do better.

Those who have a barrel converted for the MRP or MWS, did you check the headspace once you installed the barrel?

I've never read of anyone checking the headspace on a factory LMT barrel. But since these converted barrels are not from LMT, I'm curious about what others are doing.

FWIW, when DWilson converts a barrel, he's mounting the LMT extension on it and you need to send in your upper so that it can all be mated properly and checked, so I would expect he's also checking headspace as part of that process.

FWIW, when DWilson converts a barrel, he's mounting the LMT extension on it and you need to send in your upper so that it can all be mated properly and checked, so I would expect he's also checking headspace as part of that process.
He doesn't mount a new extension. It all relies on the extension your barrel already has being within spec. He doesn't even require you to send a bolt with the barrel.

I should have said "conversion collar" - the part that interfaces with the upper.

He doesn't mount a new extension. It all relies on the extension your barrel already has being within spec. He doesn't even require you to send a bolt with the barrel.

Right, but the LMT bolt still has to headspace correctly to the new barrel. It's been my experience that most off the shelf barrels don't headspace well with Large frame LMT bolts.. everyone running a Large frame gasser should always check for proper headspace, they're not like the small frame Lego guns.

Right, but the LMT bolt still has to headspace correctly to the new barrel. It's been my experience that most off the shelf barrels don't headspace well with Large frame LMT bolts.. everyone running a Large frame gasser should always check for proper headspace, they're not like the small frame Lego guns.
Sure. That's not what Dwilson does though as part of his conversion service though which was the answer to his question. Nothing he does changes the headspace of the aftermarket barrel.

I did not. My D. Wilson converted Proof CF 6.5CM barrel runs great! Brass has been easy to reload as well.
Nice (y) What barrel length did you choose and what ammo has been working for you. I've been contemplating a 22" Bartlein custom.

I have a Wilson combat super sniper 24" that D.Wilson converted. Shoots .6 MOA w factory NORMA 143gr. This was windy day. Board was blowing around.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2022-11-11 17_55_36.951461.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2022-11-11 17_55_36.951461.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: eric90503
Nice (y) What barrel length did you choose and what ammo has been working for you. I've been contemplating a 22" Bartlein custom.
I bought the 22” Carbon Proof 6.5 CM barrel. I have been loading 140 eld-m over H4350 with 5 round groups 0.7-0.8 moa. I am not a very good semiauto shooter but have been really pleased with the results.

Reactions: eric90503
I bought the 22” Carbon Proof 6.5 CM barrel. I have been loading 140 eld-m over H4350 with 5 round groups 0.7-0.8 moa. I am not a very good semiauto shooter but have been really pleased with the results.

Sometimes single loading helps to improve group size because you're not worried about the gun doubling and the gun is chambering rounds consistently.

Reactions: ToKeepAndBear
I had mine done by misery customs and he did a great job! super nice guy!