• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom rifle build for varmint shooting

komifornian

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2011
Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
I'm building a new low recoil varmint rifle and would like some suggestions on what caliber I should go with. The rifle will be used out for shooting paper and varmint’s out to 500 meters max - most of the time between 3-400 meters. My choices so far are: 220 swift, 22-250, and 6MM BR. Does anyone have other suggestions and if so why the caliber choice?
Thanks for your help!

If it was me, economy is a huge point. for the ranges you say, and for target/varmint. I'd go with the lowly .223R, because of barrel life and cost per round. Varmint hunting generally produces lots of quickly made shots, a 220s and the 22-250 will burn up after a good summer of varmint hunting. Not to mention they cost more (if that matters to you). I'd go with an 8 or 9 twist, and shoot 68's 69's or 75's for those peskier large varmints.

^^ +1. I just got back a custom .223 built on a Howa action from mark at SAC. I know the barrel will last forever, and with a 28" barrel there is practically no recoil.

Doesn't barrel life depend on how hot you get the barrel? I.E. you'd need to fire a lot of rounds in a short amount of time to really worry about "burning out" a barrel? Obviously all barrels will wear out eventually but if you don't over heat it I've heard that a swift or 22-250 will last for thousands for rounds. Is this inaccurate?

Doesn't barrel life depend on how hot you get the barrel? I.E. you'd need to fire a lot of rounds in a short amount of time to really worry about "burning out" a barrel? Obviously all barrels will wear out eventually but if you don't over heat it I've heard that a swift or 22-250 will last for thousands for rounds. Is this inaccurate?
short answer, maybe.

Overbore calibers such as the 220S and 22-250 will burn out the throat of the barrel sooner than others, even if you dont rapid fire. Rapid fire will obviously exacerbate the erosion, but few things will stop it.

My brother and I do contest with his 22-250 vs my 204 and personally I love my 204. I shot a yote at 350 the other day right in the chest and it went all the way through and the coyote just dropped. My 204 is a lrpv by savage and it shoots amazing and feels great too. I would look into a set up like that if I was you. Great Barrel life, Awesome accuracy, flattest shooting, low fur damage, and the best part is low recoil so you can watch the action!! But nothing wrong with a 22-250 or 223 either 2012-06-05_20-13-42_472.jpg20130309_225108.jpg

.223 Remington, .222 Remington, .204 Ruger, or if you really want to whack them critters dead, use the .20x47 Lapua! Shooting the 55 grain Berger VLD's, the .20x47 Lapua is making some serious ripples in the pond as a "must have" varmint rifle.

I went with the .204 ruger; and in the current state of hard to find ammo I always find .204 on the shelves. Even though the .204 is a couple years old I was skeptical on how well a .20 cal bullet would do on dogs. Well, once you shoot one all doubt will be erased. Longest shot to date is 587 yards 32gr. V-Max @ 4225fps DRT coyote.

I'd go .223 Rem with a tight twist and be able to stretch it out if necessary or with a .204 Ruger. I've made 700+ kills on p'dogs with my .204 Ruger. The Swift and .22-250 just won't hold up to prairie dog fields.

I'm set up for prairie dogging with a pair of .223s (customized CZ527 and a Tikka T3) in 1:9 and 1:8 respectively. Both heavy varmint barreled and shooting 50-55-60 V-Maxes, a few 69SMK for long range. These rigs are most accurate at 100-300 off a field bench and Harris bipod. Recoil minimal with heavy barrels. Thinking of adding of muzzle brakes to really see the hits. Be sure to spend a wad on glass ... I'm running a Swaro Z5 5-25 and a Zeiss HD5 5-25 on mine.

I'd go .223 Rem with a tight twist and be able to stretch it out if necessary or with a .204 Ruger. I've made 700+ kills on p'dogs with my .204 Ruger. The Swift and .22-250 just won't hold up to prairie dog fields.

I shoot a ton of prairie dogs every summer as I have a couple hundred acres of them 5 miles down the road from my house and its all done with a 22-250. It holds up just fine and has for years. Yeah it gets hot faster but my last barrel lasted 2500 rounds and still shot well. I only re-barreled it because I didn't want to head into summer that deep into a barrel and have it go to shit mid season.

The guys I shoot varmints with all shoot 22-250, 220s and 204's. The Swift with a muzzle break will let you see your own hits and my 22-250 has held up for several seasons now just fine. We always have enough rifles that we are switching about every 15-20 shots anyways. The 223's get thrown in the mix as well. I think any will do you just fine.

My next varmint rifle will likely be a 6BR. It would work great for the ranges you listed.

Ive got 1200 rounds out of my 22-250 and it still shooting good around .5moa, .223 also a good choice its cheaper to shoot but if you reload good luck finding components unless its for 20 cals like the .204 Ruger which is another good round. But 22-250 is my favorite because you can make it mimic a .223, without the smaller case, but if you want better velocity and ballistics you can reload it to its full potential. just my two cents, every one has their favorite, Ive shot and killed coyote out to 500 yards with a 50g V max and shot 45 pound coyotes.

I'd say a .243 with 75gr VMAX.
.243 is what went with because I live in Komifornina and have a lot of land in Montana where I'll be using this rifle. The reason I went with .243 is ammo availability at the local gun shop if I run out of my hand loads. I know 223 are super common but I wanted something that'll hammer those f'ing yotes that are killing the fawns on the property. Maybe I'm just pissed at em I don't know.

Build specs are:
Manners A4 stock
26" Shilen barrel - 8 twist
Stiller Tac 30 action
Jewell trigger
Badger m5 bottom metal

I had my .22-250 for almost 10 years and put a little over 4,000 rounds through it before needed to replace the barrel. Back when I could get Winchester white ox 45 gr bullets for $12.00 a box it was nothing to shoot a 100 plus rounds in an hour or two.

6BR is what i have used on prairie dogs for years, i doubt you will find anything better for your application. Barrel life, efficiency, accuracy and velocity are all included. It will also get it done at twice the distance you mentioned. Build it with a 1-8 twist barrel and a single shot reciever and i dont think you will be disappounred.

Last edited:
For a light recoiling round that would be plenty capable for varmints out to 500m....I'm also in agreement with the .223 - that is if barrel life and ammo/component price are factors for you.

You could also go the 6.5creedmoor route and use the lighter bullets for the varmints and heavier if you move up to deer.

If recoil is your major deciding factor....just put a suppressor on. Varmints won't know what hit them and your shoulder won't either.

6BR will be hard to beat. We have also had outstanding accuracy with the 6x47 Lapua (necked down 6.5x47). For the distances you are talking about, I think either of these calibers would give you excellent accuracy and very tolerable recoil. And there are plenty of good varmint pills available in 6mm.

If you are into wildcats and ridiculous speeds, looking into a 22 x 243 Ackley Improved. My buddys shoots insanely small groups, and is pushing the pills over 4000fps. Woodchucks vaporize.

Last edited:
I shoot a ton of prairie dogs every summer as I have a couple hundred acres of them 5 miles down the road from my house and its all done with a 22-250. It holds up just fine and has for years. Yeah it gets hot faster but my last barrel lasted 2500 rounds and still shot well. I only re-barreled it because I didn't want to head into summer that deep into a barrel and have it go to shit mid season.

I got over 7,000 out of a .204 barrel. I just would hate to think I could do two p'dog trips and toast a barrel. Usually when we go, we shoot 1,000-2,000 on a trip. I've seen guys with Swifts and .22-250s get a lot of misses with their rifles that should be easy shots.

.204 ruger

My favorite is the .220 Swift but at 2000 rnds. It will get replaced this yr and I may go 30-50 rnds before cooling. The ultimate in all departments is the .204 Ruger . Same bullet, powder, and primer cost as .223. Then the best part .220 Swift velocity, drop, and wind drift as long as you use 40gr bullets. I have a custom Precision Firearms AR and a Defiance in XLR stocked in .204. Last season I just put my 500 yd. dot on a p. dog and he was gone

I like my 22-250AI, very little brass work after fire forming and it will stretch out a little farther than my 223. If you don't load the 22-250AI too hot you should get decent barrel life. Usually take both out and use the 223 for the closer shots.

If not treated right the 220 swift and the 22-250 will do the job very well. The 6br is also an extremely accurate round but I also think the 223 would be my choice.

Does anyone think the 243 is a good choice, that's what I was going to go with. My barrrel blank is 6MM . I can still change my mind but it has to feed well with an AI mag. My smith said that the 6BR (my original choice) had problems feeding smoothly with the badger m5 system which uses the an AI mag.

Last edited:
Is this going to mainly be used for coyotes and such? If so then a .243 is just about perfect for just that. It's a tad overkill for a prairie dog gun unless you shoot like 500 yards all the time.

I was in same dilema. I decided to go with a Kreiger barrel in 7.5 twist with stiller action in 243. That choice worked out great. The 243 espically with 105 amax or 115 dtac bucks the wind much better than the smaller calibers and barrel life as long as you dont shoot very hot loads is very good. Accuracy is superb and 105 amax will let the critters know you mean business lol. Best of luck with your decision. I also have a 204 but living in NM with gale force winds like everyday I always go with the 243 as the 204 drifts pretty good.

If it was my build it would depend on ongoing costs to reload/factory ammo and if your concerned about barrel life.

Since it's going to be a custom how about a 223AI?

This^^^^^. if barrel life is a concern. Chamber and barrel to suit the heavier .224 projectiles. And in a pinch you can still run factory 223.

yep mostly coyotes with the occasional prarie dog.

If you've already got a 6mm barrel what about 6 x 47? Will yield better barrel life than a 243 and should be exceptional on the paper as this is its intended purpose.

204R is a ripper of a round but not really ideal for 500 yard paper punching with a limited selection of projectiles in comparison to .22 or 6mm. If barrel life and ammo cost is of no concern then go crazy and get your wildcat on or step up to 6.5 284 and do it with authority. :D

Does anyone think the 243 is a good choice, that's what I was going to go with. My barrrel blank is 6MM . I can still change my mind but it has to feed well with an AI mag. My smith said that the 6BR (my original choice) had problems feeding smoothly with the badger m5 system which uses the an AI mag.

I shoot ground squirrels all the time with a 243, does a good number on them:)

I'd go with a .308 I load my own ammo so I'd load up some 125 grain ballistic tips for low recoil varmint hunting some 150gr Partitions for deer season and some 175gr SMK's for distance work.

Last edited:
220 swift gets my vote.I use mine for red fox and its just plain awesome.If it was high volume shooting like good rabbit spots or your praire dog fields then I would probably go 223. However if its coyote and hunts where it is only 1 or 2 shots in quick succession then I would stay with the swift and 55gr ballistic tips.Results are low recoil ,extremely flat, hard hitting round .Fur damage is also extensive if that is a concern.
My remy vs swift with pm11 and T8 suppressor
2418a49.jpg
Damage it inflicts
21ne6g2.jpg

Last edited:
.223 Remington, .222 Remington, .204 Ruger, or if you really want to whack them critters dead, use the .20x47 Lapua! Shooting the 55 grain Berger VLD's, the .20x47 Lapua is making some serious ripples in the pond as a "must have" varmint rifle.

I de-virginized my 20x47 with 55 Bergers just yesterday on a couple PD's!

My few comments on the round is it's very accurate and fast. A couple days ago I shot some of the best 200Y groups in my life with it, both .2 MOA, the worst group was .5 moa. Velocity was 3828 fps and is a medium load. Less than a hundred rounds through the rifle so I have lots of testing to do still.

The only thing I'd done different on the rifle is build it with a heavier contour and braked it so I could see my hits better. I tried some 400Y shots yesterday and couldn't see where I was missing so couldn't correct.

I've had about every varmint cartridge there is including many wildcats. As a all arounder 204R is really hard to beat.

Hornady needs to come out with a 20 cal 55 grain Vmax. .43 BC at 3830 fps would be even more awesome.

I have to ask, is that a dead coyote on the living room carpet?

---

On topic. Giving some serious thought to building a 6BR for eastern woodchucks. Most likely it will be a single shot action with a 26 inch heavier barrel. Twist for a 70 - 80 grain bullet, maybe 1-10. A varmint style hunting stock. To be used off a portable bench.

As mentioned, all of the suggestions given you are good but I think the 6BR is what i am looking for.

Oh yes a fox, I guess I just have coyotes on my mind.