• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Rifle Builders Testing Before Delivery

Deadman Pointers

Town Fool
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
Never thought to ask this before nor did I have a reason to, but is it best practice or expected for a rifle builder to test fire a new rifle after assembly and cerakote?

When i had my custom REM 700 in 6.5cm built the gun smith did test fire 4 rounds for fit and function. Then he fired 2, 3 round groups to check accuracy using 140 AMAX Hornady. He put the target in with rifle when i picked it up i could see how well it shot. So to answer your question I would hope so.

I know people get finicky about their cerakote so perhaps the barreled action is test fired before coating... I'm just really struggling with getting a new rifle to print any sort of group under 1.5" @ 100. I'm a bit baffled especially since the barrel plug from the cerakote was still stuck in there when I took delivery of it.

I would contact your smith and ask some questions. When i picked up mine both targets were right at .450 moa + - . When i worked up my load which only took about 50 round total my best group came in at .214 moa. I shot 4 3 shoot groups the had an avg of .387 moa so i was happy. What are you shooting???

I know people get finicky about their cerakote so perhaps the barreled action is test fired before coating... I'm just really struggling with getting a new rifle to print any sort of group under 1.5" @ 100. I'm a bit baffled especially since the barrel plug from the cerakote was still stuck in there when I took delivery of it.
I'm lost here, what is the issue, or why would anyone be concerned about a test fire after coating a barreled action, it seems to me this would be the logical time.
I would also think a smith would test fire any weapon he assembled, just as an insurance.
On your rifle not grouping, throw it out in the reloading section, someone will help you.

Point being, it couldn't have been fired with the barrel plug still in there from the cerakote. I'm not sure it was ever test fired.

Shooting the 185 VLD factory HSM required a rubber mallet to extract the brass. 190 Federal GM produced a grouping of about 2.5". 195 Hornady ELD-M was about 1.5", and 200 ELD-X was about the same.

I guess I expected something better from a custom rifle as my other precision rifles are an AXMC and a Tikka. Regardless of the ammunition I use for those two, I never grouped as poorly as this build. It all just seemed odd; hence, my silly ass question in this 'stupid' question section.

Point being, it couldn't have been fired with the barrel plug still in there from the cerakote. I'm not sure it was ever test fired.

Shooting the 185 VLD factory HSM required a rubber mallet to extract the brass. 190 Federal GM produced a grouping of about 2.5". 195 Hornady ELD-M was about 1.5", and 200 ELD-X was about the same.

I guess I expected something better from a custom rifle as my other precision rifles are an AXMC and a Tikka. Regardless of the ammunition I use for those two, I never grouped as poorly as this build. It all just seemed odd; hence, my silly ass question in this 'stupid' question section.
I guess I wasn't following the question, or failed to read.
I'd be questioning the smith, not asking on a forum. You have the details, let him know.

Wow from what you are saying i would call the smith tomorrow tell him whats going on. He should take care of it. Had a friend who had a 6.5 cm rifle built by Phoenix customs and would not group. He sent it back and it turned out to be the barrel which was replaced and now shoots well. Sounds like there are issues with the build to me. I also have the AI bug. I have 4 AI's ,1 Styer SSG04 and a Cadex 375 CT on order.

Reactions: Deadman Pointers
If there is no accuracy guarantee, I wouldn't expect the builder to test fire the rifle. i think that NOT test firing is the norm. Those that do, advertise it proudly with an accuracy guarantee or promise to enclose test targets.

Reactions: Deadman Pointers
If there is no accuracy guarantee, I wouldn't expect the builder to test fire the rifle. i think that NOT test firing is the norm. Those that do, advertise it proudly with an accuracy guarantee or promise to enclose test targets.
Thanks, this was some of the feedback I was looking for on the topic. Frankly, I didn't know the norm or if my expectations were a bit out of whack.

I Smith test fires and breaks in all of them if they are complete rifles. He shot my 300 wsm and it was for and me in the .2-.3. What iis the rifle sounds like a 300 win mag or similar. Maybe its you.

If you are not PAYING for test firing then you should not expect it. Time is money and any Smith worth a darn will impose a hefty fee for the hours it takes to: pay for ammo, mount a scope, travel to the range, zero the scope, test fire, return to shop, remove scope and clean rifle, etc.