• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Rifle vs. Assembling chassis rifle that takes prefits

pnorris

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2012
I am looking for a good quality rifle that shoots 223 Wylde. I have spent a ton of time researching. If I go the chassis route with an action like the Curtis Vector or similar that takes prefits, what am I gaining by going through a smith. Other than costing well over a thousand more for the finished product, do I gain anything? Many of these chassis rifles, assuming you confirm that your action and trigger will fit, appear to be lego rifles. Plop in your barreled action with the trigger installed, torque the action screws and you are ready to rock as long as you confirm which magazines will work. I am pretty new to precision bolt rifles so please educate me if I am wrong.

Your very close. It's all about how much you want to spend. "You just got to figure out who you want to impress"

With my motorcycles, my other passion, I stopped with all the poserific add ons or "farkles", as we called them. I only like what truly works, however, if a smith can make a substantially better rifle, using the chassis as a basis I am all ears. I just don't understand what dillo dust they might sprinkle. I just want to understand and make a good choice.

Your paying a smith to ensure there’s no problems.

It may all LEGO together (mine did) and it might not.
If you avoid triggers hangers and odd sized bolts that would probably up your odds.
The slap a. bolt action together game is different than the slap an AR together game.

If you like to build your own shit and figure out any problems yourself, piece together your own gun

If you just want an”easy button” answer, buy a completed gun

Part of paying a Smith is for peace of mind. Sure, you can assemble it yourself. But if it doesn’t shoot, then what? You don’t really have a warranty to fall back, so how good are you at troubleshooting a whole rifle? If I pay a gunsmith, none of that is my problem. It’s more likely to shoot in the first place, and if it doesn’t, I send it back and they fix it. Some people care about that, some don’t.

What Steel Head said... you are paying to know everything is ready to go.

I installed a TrigerTech on to my Vector, then put it into a KRG bravo and it bolted up just fine. Spun on a barrel from StraightJacket Armory and the only problem was having to trim the mag latch to allow proper seating with the AW mag. It wasn’t even a problem, more something that most end up having to do. The smith would do this for you.

I would tell you to go for doing it yourself. Only recommendation I would make is if you are going the Vector route, buy the Terminus Zeus instead. Upgraded features, far better customer service and same price point.

I don't want to spend more than $3,000 for the rifle alone. I want the best action and barrel I can get. Frankly, I can get an MPA (stock rifle) with the Curtis Axiom and competition chassis for less than $3,000. with the Curtis vector, I am can get it just over $3,000. I am thinking that might be the way to go. I have reached out to many custom builders and they quote me a budget action and a budget stock and they are still over $3000. For a comparable action and stock to the MPA, we are now $4,000 plus.

thats a nice budget, with that budget
buying a custom from the px and getting a barrel spun might be the way to go

My build was in that range.
Brux Barrel $700
Nuke action $1100
Huber trigger $300
XLR element chassis with options $750
Sidewinder brake $190

lots of other barrel/chassis/trigger/action options at that price that would make an excellent rifle.

Reactions: hereinaz
OK, let's play spend my money. What would you spec for that price? Sorry for my ignorance, who makes the Nuke Action?

American rifle company nucleus.
It’s what checked my boxes and is made in my old stomping grounds.

For an action list what features you want and see what action checks those boxes.
Then look at reviews and make sure your choice isn’t a turd.