• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Savage Build

b34m3r300

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2020
I'm looking to build a custom Savage 110 or 111. Can anyone tell me if 300 PRC will fit through the magwell and have enough length in the bolt to pick it up and feed? SAAMI max COAL is 3.700, but I plan to handload them closer to the lands. If I use a chassis with a 3.850 magwell that should be plenty of space for the cartridges. I'm just worried about clearance issues in the action. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Any particular reason you didn't like the Savage? I like the triggers that they come with, and I like that you can swap the bolt handle and bolt face.

I've been looking at Surgeon actions, they're just too stinking expensive.

Can’t help you on the prc but I’ve had good luck building up savage actions. Figured if the system didn’t work well they wouldn’t be doing remage barrel setups now.

I can't answer on the 110-11, but the axis(all long action) will JUST take a saami spec 338 lm through the load port. I can't remember the number but it was just under 3.75. The eject is the problem on the axis at 3.420"+-.

It's not the barell system that is the problem with savage. Feeding issues,extractor issues huge problems. The way the bolt stop is attached To the trigger I had to mill mine back more so bolt would go back far enough to pick up case.there just way better actions for not much more money u can still do the remage barrel setup for

I have had to play with the ejector spring to get that 100%, but haven't had a feeding issue YET. Just got another into a chassis and feeding from a pmag, but no testing done yet. What is the feeding issue?

To answer your question, yes. If you are set on building a savage go over to https://www.savageshooters.com/forum.php Lots of guys on there and a decent classified section for parts. If cost is your reason for picking the savage action, it will be no cheaper than a Remington 700 remage set up. Be aware some actions are top bolt release and some are bottom when choosing a stock/chassis and think ahead.

There are much better factory rifles out there for the money that you will have in building this rifle. Price the stuff out. Looking at $1000 plus going the cheapest route.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
With length u can seat bullet out
On my orgin I can seat them 35 thousandths longer with no issues at all same bullet

My first long range rifle was a Savage - it shoots well and I still have it. I rechambered/barreled it to 300 PRC a year and a half ago, put in the Accurate Mag bottom metal, and their CIP length mag and it will feed - though not at the seating depth I currently have my Berger 230s set to. I have the HS Precision stock, and I had added the KMW Loggerhead cheek riser to it (Joe Ducos @jducos - amazing work). When I can get out to shoot at a mile'ish, this thing does pretty well. I will never sell it as it holds a place in my heart.

Now, would I ever recommend for someone to build a custom Savage? No.

Why?

- Resale value is limited (if this may come into play)
- Aftermarket parts are nowhere close to the options available for R700s/clones - you can only take a Savage so far
- If you're going to spend the money on all the other parts to custom build, the small amount you'll save on a Savage action vs. others is just not worth it

Now for the closer: I love the 300 PRC. It's a really fun round to shoot. While not disappointed in what my Savage/HS Precision can do, I've gotten past the limit of what I can push it to. I'm having a custom 300 PRC built by Spartan Precision. I'll be getting another barrel spun up for the Savage in a TBD new caliber to play with (thinking 7 SAUM at the moment).

If @Steel head would chime in here (another Savage + other rifles owner), I think he would say something similar.

I have had to play with the ejector spring to get that 100%, but haven't had a feeding issue YET. Just got another into a chassis and feeding from a pmag, but no testing done yet. What is the feeding issue?
Will a 3.700-3.850 round fit through the bottom of the action and does the bolt have enough length to cycle it?

Will a 3.700-3.850 round fit through the bottom of the action and does the bolt have enough length to cycle it?
Yes and yes. But reliably? I've had a bit of time behind 6 different Savage rifles to include 2 different 338LMs that took CIP mags. They were all fine shooting rifles, but every one of them had feeding and or extraction problems at some point. That being said, I still have one of them and plan on dumping money into it. I just like it...

My first long range rifle was a Savage - it shoots well and I still have it. I rechambered/barreled it to 300 PRC a year and a half ago, put in the Accurate Mag bottom metal, and their CIP length mag and it will feed - though not at the seating depth I currently have my Berger 230s set to. I have the HS Precision stock, and I had added the KMW Loggerhead cheek riser to it (Joe Ducos @jducos - amazing work). When I can get out to shoot at a mile'ish, this thing does pretty well. I will never sell it as it holds a place in my heart.

Now, would I ever recommend for someone to build a custom Savage? No.

Why?

- Resale value is limited (if this may come into play)
- Aftermarket parts are nowhere close to the options available for R700s/clones - you can only take a Savage so far
- If you're going to spend the money on all the other parts to custom build, the small amount you'll save on a Savage action vs. others is just not worth it

Now for the closer: I love the 300 PRC. It's a really fun round to shoot. While not disappointed in what my Savage/HS Precision can do, I've gotten past the limit of what I can push it to. I'm having a custom 300 PRC built by Spartan Precision. I'll be getting another barrel spun up for the Savage in a TBD new caliber to play with (thinking 7 SAUM at the moment).

If @Steel head would chime in here (another Savage + other rifles owner), I think he would say something similar.
I think you will like the 7 saum, in having a blast with mine

I'm glad you asked and I measured it again. Correction... 3.5 even to the bolt face, and 3.6 to the trigger hanger. It's been a while since I last measured, and obviously butchered the results.

The second half I can't comment on as I only feed a short mag(243 @ 2.791). Xlr only offers the element in short. My 7/300(3.080) is single fed from a bob sled.

In 6 months from now I’m gonna come back and say “I told you so” lol

I built up a 110 action from Northland shooters supply. Bought ALL the wiz bang parts from them. Uograded bolt head from PTG, upgraded recoil lug, extraction/ejector upgrade kit, upgraded barrel not, criterion6.5 creed barrel. Put in a XLR element chassis.

went to a long range precision class and it shot great. Super accurate and I got too score. Problem is it last 200 rounds before it turned into a single feed as it wouldn’t eject the rounds.

put all stock parts back in it. Same thing. Bought another “upgrade” kit didn’t last 100 rounds.

my week long class quickly became ill just be a spotter for other people as single feed and and extract was annoying. I had less then 400 rounds in the gun and it turned into a pile of junk.

sold it that week and went with a defiance custom build. Ran flawless until I shot a 6.5 creed barrel out. Sold it for impact and haven’t looked back. Impact is in its second barrel and haven’t had a single issue.

This why u don't do savage, they suck

This why u don't do savage, they suck
They don’t suck.
They just have limitations.
5-10 years ago I’d recommend a savage.
Now?
Not so much.
Better options for just a bit more $$$$

I was shooting mine today, I just loaded up a bunch of random bullets with kinda random charges.
Once I figured out the POI smacking steel at 1050 today was a snap.

I'm building a LH Savage 110. What started out as a simple project turned into the biggest pain in the ass yet. After what I've been through so far dealing with parts, my recommendation would be to build something else entirely. My base rifle was an older "flat back" style, and most parts appear to be discontinued now. Most issues seem to involve the bolt, and it's shortcomings. I wanted to update the original bolt to the small firing pin diameter- discontinued for the older rifles. I wanted a new bolt head- discontinued. My bolts cam pin disappeared on me while the rest of the gun was out getting the barrel fitted. Guess what? Discontinued. When I need parts for the bolt either nobody offers them, or their sold out.

My bolt is back at my Gunsmiths getting turned down to the new style body, the newer bolts are relieved in the striker area, and the cam pin is radiused at the head area which won't work with the old style bolt body. I'm a bit concerned about extractor strength, I've found a potential supplier for upgrades, and I'll have to try it. My original stock featured a detachable magazine but no decent stocks are available for that style of rifle anymore so I ended up ordering a Stockade stock. I have to change over to a box mag for this. Guess what? the mag boxes are discontinued too. I bought a used one, but I have to straighten it to be usable.

This rifle has fought me every step of the way. I don't normally "name" inanimate objects, but if I did, this one would be named "Chucky". This rifle owes me. Big time. No more Savages, ever. My next production rifle is already picked out, and Savage wasn't even briefly considered.

You are going to end up like every single other person who has done it. They all say, don't do it. I'm currently doing it right now. I will never do it again.

Unless you already have the action and stock/chassis, go Remington, and do the remage.

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head
1AA6A9B4-0ECF-4D36-92C7-D31E048B56EC.jpeg

I like how people always say I shoot one and it’s so accurate.

we never say anything about accuracy of Savage but their actions just plain suck. They are accurate just not reliable.

In 6 months from now I’m gonna come back and say “I told you so” lol

I built up a 110 action from Northland shooters supply. Bought ALL the wiz bang parts from them. Uograded bolt head from PTG, upgraded recoil lug, extraction/ejector upgrade kit, upgraded barrel not, criterion6.5 creed barrel. Put in a XLR element chassis.

went to a long range precision class and it shot great. Super accurate and I got too score. Problem is it last 200 rounds before it turned into a single feed as it wouldn’t eject the rounds.

put all stock parts back in it. Same thing. Bought another “upgrade” kit didn’t last 100 rounds.

my week long class quickly became ill just be a spotter for other people as single feed and and extract was annoying. I had less then 400 rounds in the gun and it turned into a pile of junk.

sold it that week and went with a defiance custom build. Ran flawless until I shot a 6.5 creed barrel out. Sold it for impact and haven’t looked back. Impact is in its second barrel and haven’t had a single issue.
They don’t suck.
They just have limitations.
5-10 years ago I’d recommend a savage.
Now?
Not so much.
Better options for just a bit more $$$$

I was shooting mine today, I just loaded up a bunch of random bullets with kinda random charges.
Once I figured out the POI smacking steel at 1050 today was a snap.
Ok I will say mine is very accurate .its a 223 I shoot the Berger 80.5 in it and yes it makes little small groups even out to 800 yards. The problem is I can't rely on to shoot a match and not have an issue. My apologies

I started shooting local prs matches with a savage model 12 LRP. It treated me well. I have some money into it and most likely never sell it. That said, I would not do one from scratch when you can buy a 300prc Bergara HMR for $1000.

I set out to prove something with my Savage build, and I did prove something. I proved that I'm not as smart as I thought I was before this build. One little hedge though, my barrel is a 29 in M24 profile Bartlein and it has been kept as long as possible, approx 28 inches. Why? Because I may have to shorten it a couple of inches and rethread it for another action and I wanted as much length available in case that becomes necessary. I don't actually plan on doing that at the first sign of trouble, but I do like having some possibility of repurposing an expensive barrel if it becomes necessary.

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head
I have built a number of Rem700s and pre 64 Win M70s.
I have only built (4) Savage bolt actions; 223, 250Sav, 280AI, and 300WM.
In all 4 cases I cut a shoulder on the barrel and did not use a barrel nut.
The 223 and 250S shot better than I can. The other two not so much.
There are problems with any action, but I would rather build on R700 and M70 actions because of ; stock availability, magazine feed. and screwy bolt mods. YMMV

Attachments

• Sav 110 223 .250 neck LW CM barrel Boyds Tactical stock SSS recoil lug 9-29-2013.jpg
    Sav 110 223 .250 neck LW CM barrel Boyds Tactical stock SSS recoil lug 9-29-2013.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 867
  • 250 Savage  with target  from 10-29-2017.jpg
    250 Savage with target from 10-29-2017.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Sav 111 from 7mmRM to 300WM Sav110 from 06 to 280AI 20180806_153544.jpg
    Sav 111 from 7mmRM to 300WM Sav110 from 06 to 280AI 20180806_153544.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 475
I have not built a 300 prc but did build a 28 Nosler and it feeds just fine. Just had to adjust feed lips a little bit.

We did away with the barrel nut on mine too. Once all the niggling little issues are done, and I can actually use the rifle, my big concern will always be the damn bolt. It's like a Chinese puzzle with all the components sublet to Turkish builders. I didn't start out to build this configuration, this was supposed to be a simple rebarrel with an existing barrel and everything. Then the original wood stock broke while being separated from the bedding. It turned out that the original stock was really old and dried out. So I ordered a new stock from Stockade, then the other issues started kicking my ass. On the bright side, I've always wanted a heavy barrel 30-06, this one has a 28 inch barrel. The ballistic opportunities with cheap commonly available brass are mind boggling. We'll see how long it takes me to go off the deep end with components and tooling. We all know it's coming.

I bought (instead of building) a .338 LM Savage last year.

I'm thinking about another one- to be rebarreled out of the box with a shouldered .30 cal barrel for .300 PRC. Perfect platform for this, and will allow for longer COAL than a standard LA.
I don't shoot comps, and yeah- running a Savage bolt sucks- but no one can dispute the fact that Team Savage has won many competitions over the years with bone stock factory sticks, much to the chagrin of rifle "snobs".

If one has the means, and desire to use a Huracan to commute to work- it's a wonderful thing. For others, a Hyundai is just fine.