• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom SHTF Build (.223 wylde)

James Mccracken

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2022
United States, Georgia
Looking at building a custom SHTF rifle vs buying one of the big names. I’m thinking maybe the radian upper/lower. Magpul stock is a given.

Maybe geissele ssa-e trigger? I want a light two stage for longer range, but also a short enough take up that CQB will be more doable.

Where I get lost is barrels. I don’t know the first thing about barrels. What would you guys recommend and why?

I would want short, light and suppressed so 300 blackout 8-10" SBR. If not suppressed I would go 6.5 grendel 12-16" depending on if you SBR it or not.

If sticking with 5.56, go 16-18"

Looking at building a custom SHTF rifle vs buying one of the big names. I’m thinking maybe the radian upper/lower. Magpul stock is a given.

Maybe geissele ssa-e trigger? I want a light two stage for longer range, but also a short enough take up that CQB will be more doable.

Where I get lost is barrels. I don’t know the first thing about barrels. What would you guys recommend and why?
A SSA-E trigger has a long take up and a long reset.

I’ve never shot them. Just always heard they’re gold standard
They are a good trigger. They just have about the longest pull and reset compared to anything else. I wouldn’t consider them for anything but a precision/dmr build but some people like them for all around use as well.

Reactions: James Mccracken
Geissele makes good triggers, but for a defensive rig, I'd look more to the Super Dynamic Combat or Single Stage Precision.

I like ballistic advantage and faxon. There are plenty of good ones. My trunk gun has a Faxon 16".
Those are both very low quality barrels with a high end-user reject rate. Occasionally they get it really right, but way too many guys dump those barrels.

If you want a barrel that’s made right that’ll run with modest accuracy, you can get a chrome lined barrel:
FN
BCM
Centurion
Colt (maybe, I’ve heard good about their SOCOM barrels)

Or stainless:
Criterion
White Oak
Compass Lake
Shilen
Several other good ones but you might have to wait to get it

Those are both very low quality barrels with a high end-user reject rate. Occasionally they get it really right, but way too many guys dump those barrels.

If you want a barrel that’s made right that’ll run with modest accuracy, you can get a chrome lined barrel:
FN
BCM
Centurion
Colt (maybe, I’ve heard good about their SOCOM barrels)

Or stainless:
Criterion
White Oak
Compass Lake
Shilen
Several other good ones but you might have to wait to get it
I guess it depends on if the OP is looking for a DMR or a basic run and gun.

Some of those are north of $600, I do not spend that much on an AR that will probably not have the optics to go sub MOA or get a diet of match ammo.

I agree those are some good and great barrels.

I have a bunch of the BA Hansen barrels and for the price I can put black hills 60gr V-Max into about 1 MOA with a LPVO all day long.