• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Custom Thread Protectors in 5/8-24??

Megahoser

Shogun of the Higher Steppes
Minuteman
Hello!
I have several rifles that are threaded in 5/8-24, and I am looking for a nice alternative to the crappy YHM protectors that I currently have. I use them frequently when I go hunting and I don't want to use a brake, and suppressors are not allowed.

I'd like to get something that matches my barrel diameters, and recesses back to the crown with either flat sides for grip, or some sort of a knurled or textured ring.

I know there are some talented machinists here...is anyone currently offering this type of service, or would be interested in starting to? I am sure there are many others who would be interested, as well.

Thought I'd post some example pics of what I'm looking for...

23mmuxe.jpg

6tl4wh.png

4qg40.jpg

I'm really hoping someone can help me out!

Re: Custom Thread Protectors in 5/8-24??

mark at SAC, wnroscoe at lousiana precision, and GAP im sure could.

I'm sure they can...But I'm a bit apprehensive about contacting a busy custom builder for just a few thread protectors. I don't know if they'd even bother with a small job like this when they are knee-deep in larger builds. Most won't do a custom TP unless they do the barrel threading in the shop, which I don't need. I was hoping to find a smaller shop who might want to take on a possible niche.

like my boss says at work, a closed mouth dont get fed. try phoenix custom too. but really, they may be busy on stuff but just doing that for you may be something easier than you think for them

Contact DBMG, they do a lot of thread adapters, I'm sure they could make a thread protector pretty easily.

The problem here is that most likely your bore is not centered in the barrel down to the ten thousandth, so if one were to make a protector with the threads dead center, and turn the OD to match your barrel to the .0001", it will not be flush with your barrel.

Thread protectors are made oversize prior to threading a barrel, once threading is complete the protector is threaded on and turned down to match the diameter of the barrel while it is spinning true to the OD not the bore.... At least thats how I do it...

pimpskittlesmkiii_4-dcd2c21d9f.jpg

pimpskittlesmkiii_5-337f3c4560.jpg

I should point out, what you want can be done, but the only way it will look decent is if the protector is larger than the barrel OD so that it doesnt look like a botched contoured protector job. Either that or the barrel will be needed as well to make it look money.

jonaddis84 hit the nail on the head. To make a blended TP that doesn't really show when installed you have to have the barrel in hand to dial in on the OD of the barrel and turn down an oversized blank to match. Most all bores are at least slightly off of the OD, but the threads are centered on the bore. When we make them we cut 'em slightly under on the OD and knurl them at the mating side, unless specificaly requested otherwise. But its a lot of work for just a TP, and what little can be charged for a TP.

Thanks for the info...

If that is the issue, then likely a model similar to the first one pictured would be a solution. With the knurled ring next to the joint, precise alignment wouldn't be much of any issue, no?

Correct. Thats why we turn to slightly under on the od (prevents an ovbvious lip or edge) and knurl the joint side. The knurling "swells" the metal a bit and makes any mismatch less obvious. PM me and let me know if you can't find what you need.

hello megahoser.
jonaddis84 and kenda is correct. i will suggest that the part of the protector that is closest to the barrel be knurreled. that way it will all blend in and look like it was done at the same time. good luck with your project.