• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Tikka----which caliber??????

jc98ss

Swansonisms
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2010
Middle TN
if you were going to buy a factory barreled tikka like the ones in this video with all of the trimmings- pillar bed, glass bed, custom laminated stock, decelerator, 1 piece rail, etc, which caliber would you buy and why?????
keep in mind that new tikkas already have a match rated barrel and this rifle would be brand new yet custom, still retaining all of the factory warranties.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JaPfLddOkTc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JaPfLddOkTc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Custom Tikka----which caliber??????

I bought a t3 lite/stainless in a tupperware stock and it shoots so well I am cautious about upgrading.

So I would say NOT 223.

BMT

^ yes, they do shoot well in stock form, but custom fitting it to a more rigid stock, glass bedding and pillar bedding would only enhance what the rifle is already capable of....you definitely wouldn't be taking a step backwards in the accuracy department that tikkas are so well known for...plus, you get to say bye-bye to the tupperware

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jc98ss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^ yes, they do shoot well in stock form, but custom fitting it to a more rigid stock, glass bedding and pillar bedding would only enhance what the rifle is already capable of....you definitely wouldn't be taking a step backwards in the accuracy department that tikkas are so well known for...plus, you get to say bye-bye to the tupperware </div></div>

Agreed, but it was supposed to be a knockabout gun . . . . . .
laugh.gif

I put an old Varix II 3-9x40 on it.

I use 40 year old garage sale bullets (60 grain Hornady soft points) and they shoot WITH MY FIRST AND ONLY HANDLOAD about 1/2 MOA.

Darn thing shoots so good it could get full value from a nightforce/Mcmillan/badger treatment.

BUT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE CHEAP!
grin.gif

BMT

^^^i'm glad you have a great shooter for a low price that you are not afraid to beat up, but the question was IF.........IF you were going to purchase a rifle like one of these, what caliber would you seek and why.....if you were in the market for a custom rifle and someone lays this tikka in front of you, what caliber would you want it to be in.....i only ask because i am putting together the components for my next build, but i want to know what caliber would spark the most interest if i decide to sell....i am leaning more towards a reloaders caliber (6.5x55, wsm's) my brother thinks i should go for the more traditional hunting calibers (7mmRemMag, 270) or maybe target calibers (308, 300wm)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will Fennell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5x55mm </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will Fennell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5x55mm </div></div> </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jc98ss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^i'm glad you have a great shooter for a low price that you are not afraid to beat up, but the question was IF.........IF you were going to purchase a rifle like one of these, what caliber would you seek and why.....if you were in the market for a custom rifle and someone lays this tikka in front of you, what caliber would you want it to be in.....i only ask because i am putting together the components for my next build, but i want to know what caliber would spark the most interest if i decide to sell....i am leaning more towards a reloaders caliber (6.5x55, wsm's) my brother thinks i should go for the more traditional hunting calibers (7mmRemMag, 270) or maybe target calibers (308, 300wm) </div></div>

308 if you are gonna build a shooter. Its just easier.

Heck, I am down to FOUR centerfire chamberings 223, 308, 375, and 44 Mag. Add a 22 LR and a 12 Gauge and I am covered.

BMT

BMT

Re-sale = .308

I have a T3 Varmint in .223 and it shoots awesome. My .300 wsm T3 Hunter I'm still trying to get that thing to shoot. Might have to re-stock it. I have about 125 rounds through it and still can't get a load dialed in under 1".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My .300 wsm T3 Hunter I'm still trying to get that thing to shoot. Might have to re-stock it. I have about 125 rounds through it and still can't get a load dialed in under 1". </div></div>

I had a 300WSM and now a 300WM and found the same thing. Filled the voids in the stock and pillar bedded it and it got better, but the thing these heavy recoiling Tikkas need is an adequate recoil lug. The OEM lug is soft aluminum and the action just batters it's way back in the stock. I fixed mine by having a R700 lug installed at rebarrel. Another alternative would be to have a SS block made and bed it into the stock.

John

<span style="font-weight: bold">EDIT:</span> Pillar bedding the OEM stock will help, but mine now sits in a Manners T2 and it's SWEET

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Re-sale = .308

I have a T3 Varmint in .223 and it shoots awesome. My .300 wsm T3 Hunter I'm still trying to get that thing to shoot. Might have to re-stock it. I have about 125 rounds through it and still can't get a load dialed in under 1". </div></div>

what grain bullets are you shooting.....i found that the tikkas like to be loaded near max......and since they have a 1:11 twist, you can dabble with the lighter 30 cal bullets.....155 scenars are great, 165 sst's too.....also for commercial ammo and just to experiment, the new red box winchester 150gr powermaxx's are fairly cheap and hold under one inch in both mine and my brothers 300wsm's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

I had a 300WSM and now a 300WM and found the same thing. Filled the voids in the stock and pillar bedded it and it got better, but the thing these heavy recoiling Tikkas need is an adequate recoil lug. The OEM lug is soft aluminum and the action just batters it's way back in the stock. I fixed mine by having a R700 lug installed at rebarrel. Another alternative would be to have a SS block made and bed it into the stock.

John </div></div>

that is a great idea.....i will look into making some of these if enough people would be interested

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jc98ss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

John </div></div>

that is a great idea.....i will look into making some of these if enough people would be interested </div></div>

Put a post in the Tikka Aftermarket thread. I'll bet you can sell as many as you can make.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will Fennell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5x55mm </div></div> </div></div>

+1 </div></div>

Make that +2. Great round in a great rifle equals happy shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will Fennell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5x55mm </div></div> </div></div>

+100

You can't go wrong there
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My .300 wsm T3 Hunter I'm still trying to get that thing to shoot. Might have to re-stock it. I have about 125 rounds through it and still can't get a load dialed in under 1". </div></div>

John

<span style="font-weight: bold">EDIT:</span> Pillar bedding the OEM stock will help, but mine now sits in a Manners T2 and it's SWEET </div></div>

That's great advice and thanks. My Dad's identical gun seems to shoot slightly better. I've been kicking around the idea of dropping it in a Manners. My wife bought this gun for me so I cna never let it go....or else!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jc98ss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Re-sale = .308

I have a T3 Varmint in .223 and it shoots awesome. My .300 wsm T3 Hunter I'm still trying to get that thing to shoot. Might have to re-stock it. I have about 125 rounds through it and still can't get a load dialed in under 1". </div></div>

what grain bullets are you shooting.....i found that the tikkas like to be loaded near max......and since they have a 1:11 twist, you can dabble with the lighter 30 cal bullets.....155 scenars are great, 165 sst's too.....also for commercial ammo and just to experiment, the new red box winchester 150gr powermaxx's are fairly cheap and hold under one inch in both mine and my brothers 300wsm's </div></div>

I've been shooting 165's primarily with a few 180 SST's. OF the 165's I've shot SST's, TSX and SGK's. The SST's and IMR 4831 show the most promise around 67 grains in the accuracy department but still not 1" or less for me. I realize this is a hunting rifle but I expected it to shoot under 1" fairly easily. I've sent RL19, IMR 4350 and W760 through it as well with similar results. I've really only ran up to about 95% of powder in comparison to min and max listed loads.

I've also had the scope swapped out with another known good one and got the same results. When it warms up I'll get out again.

My ears are perked for getting in on a SS block if you make some.

-Adam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Put a post in the Tikka Aftermarket thread. I'll bet you can sell as many as you can make.

John </div></div>

Where is this thread?

Sorry for the 3 consecutive posts!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

John </div></div>

Where is this thread?

Sorry for the 3 consecutive posts! </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1323704

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Six Five Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will Fennell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5x55mm </div></div> </div></div>

+100

You can't go wrong there
grin.gif
</div></div>

How would you know???
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've been shooting 165's primarily with a few 180 SST's. OF the 165's I've shot SST's, TSX and SGK's. The SST's and IMR 4831 show the most promise around 67 grains in the accuracy department but still not 1" or less for me. I realize this is a hunting rifle but I expected it to shoot under 1" fairly easily. I've sent RL19, IMR 4350 and W760 through it as well with similar results. I've really only ran up to about 95% of powder in comparison to min and max listed loads.

I've also had the scope swapped out with another known good one and got the same results. When it warms up I'll get out again.

-Adam </div></div>

i will start looking for materials to build some new blocks.... but with your tikka, man that sucks....are you still using factory rings.....if so, egw has an excellent 1 piece aluminum rail for tikkas, then you could go aftermarket with rings.....i'm partial to tps low's or leupy mark 4's med.....i'll bet you've probably already done this, but if not check your action screws....torque to 55 INCH pounds, front first, then the rear one next to the trigger
i found this posted by a guy on another site
I've shot about 400 rounds in a Tikka 300 WSM with most of it being load development. What I found is the 300 WSM does not like being loaded down. It achieves the best accuracy at close to max pressure. This is the load that is the most consistant and most accurate - 3/8" @ 100 yds, velocity - 3154 fps - in my rifle:

Win brass
WLRM primer
Alliant RL-19 powder 6X.X grains
165 gr Hornady InterBond

good luck bb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Six Five Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Will Fennell said:
6.5x55mm </div></div> </div></div>

+100

You can't go wrong there
grin.gif
</div></div>

6.5x55 it is.....this makes more sense, i think, to do a long action caliber since tikkas are all long actions anyways.....for short actions, it'll be remmys and howas

6,5*55, and if it aint enough, rechamber it to 6,5*55 BJ Ackley imp.
I have an extra TRG42 folder chassi that I am going to put a T3 in 6,5x55 in.
I think that can be pretty optimized, and I hope to be able to use my own mount on it without any pic rail.
Only problem with the rail on the T3 is that it's very close to the ejection port.

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jc98ss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've been shooting 165's primarily with a few 180 SST's. OF the 165's I've shot SST's, TSX and SGK's. The SST's and IMR 4831 show the most promise around 67 grains in the accuracy department but still not 1" or less for me. I realize this is a hunting rifle but I expected it to shoot under 1" fairly easily. I've sent RL19, IMR 4350 and W760 through it as well with similar results. I've really only ran up to about 95% of powder in comparison to min and max listed loads.

-Adam </div></div>

i will start looking for materials to build some new blocks.... but with your tikka, man that sucks....are you still using factory rings.....if so, egw has an excellent 1 piece aluminum rail for tikkas, then you could go aftermarket with rings.....i'm partial to tps low's or leupy mark 4's med.....i'll bet you've probably already done this, but if not check your action screws....torque to 55 INCH pounds, front first, then the rear one next to the trigger
i found this posted by a guy on another site
I've shot about 400 rounds in a Tikka 300 WSM with most of it being load development. What I found is the 300 WSM does not like being loaded down. It achieves the best accuracy at close to max pressure. This is the load that is the most consistant and most accurate - 3/8" @ 100 yds, velocity - 3154 fps - in my rifle:

Win brass
WLRM primer
Alliant RL-19 powder 6X.X grains
165 gr Hornady InterBond

good luck bb

</div></div>

That's Great info and thanks! I have messed with the stock screws but have not torqued them appropriately as you have stated so I will do that. I am using a DNZ one piece mount which seems to be damn rigid. I'll have to try your suggested load as well.....we'll see what happens and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6,5*55, and if it aint enough, rechamber it to 6,5*55 BJ Ackley imp.
I have an extra TRG42 folder chassi that I am going to put a T3 in 6,5x55 in.
I think that can be pretty optimized, and I hope to be able to use my own mount on it without any pic rail.
Only problem with the rail on the T3 is that it's very close to the ejection port.

Håkan </div></div>

6.5x55 AI would be a MONSTA'!!!!! and sitting in a trg folder.....SWEET
the dovetail cutout is definitely atop the ejection port, but my egw HD rail is no wider than the top of the action and doesn't hang over....it's very clean looking.....even loading single shots at a time is a breeze.....there's really no way it could cause problems unless i had bulky rings or quick detach rings with levers that hung over into the ejection port side blocking it..... but i always fix those to the opposite side of the action

JC98SS
I do not intend to use picatinny rail if I can avoid it, the idea is to use my own direct mounts for the gun instead.
It has the same rail as the TRG has, so it might work.

I belive I can get it to work if I remove some material from the sideclamp. Have one customer who uses one mount on a T3 in .30-06 with unmodified sideclamp so it might work.

Then the last problem is to find a good 10 round centerfeed long mag, any sugestions?

Håkan

36006_465815554407_680984407_6430258_4652169_n.jpg

36006_465815544407_680984407_6430256_6989722_n.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JC98SS
I do not intend to use picatinny rail if I can avoid it, the idea is to use my own direct mounts for the gun instead.
It has the same rail as the TRG has, so it might work.

I belive I can get it to work if I remove some material from the sideclamp. Have one customer who uses one mount on a T3 in .30-06 with unmodified sideclamp so it might work.

Then the last problem is to find a good 10 round centerfeed long mag, any sugestions?

Håkan

36006_465815554407_680984407_6430258_4652169_n.jpg

36006_465815544407_680984407_6430256_6989722_n.jpg
</div></div>

whoa, i see....i had a totally wrong picture in my head.....that thing is a BEAST!!!
i have no clue about the mags brother, sorry

Hakan, you should have asked me. Shoot me a pm about the mag, there's something that will work depending on what you want to do.
Justin

I bought a T3 Lite, 243 for my granddaughter a few months ago. It has gotten so accurate, I'm scared to even take the stock off it, affraid something might change. That sucker is mostly shooting one hole groups at 100yds a 1/4 - 3/8" groups @ 200.

Wanting a 22-250, I decided to try another T3, this time a got the 22-250 Varmint. I've only put about 40 rounds through it trying to get a bullet and powder I want to work with, but it's shooting pretty good as is. Three shot groups are running 1/4" - 5/8" @ 100yds. It's no where near as accurate as the 243 yet, but it took a little work to get the 243 their, so I feel this Varmint will get there also.

I'm actually looking for a lefty T3 in .308 right now.

I'd like to do a few things to it before making it into my "truck" rifle. The detachable magazine is a big plus in that role since they changed the laws here to allow carrying an uncased rifle in the truck as long as it's unloaded.

Several of my friends shoot the T3 and a couple f them have it in the 6.5x55. I am a huge fan of the 6.5 family. I own and actively shoot the 65x55, 6.5x284 and the 6.5x57R. My wife loves hunting with her 6.5x55 and she's used it in the US for deer and pronghorn and in Africa on planes game from impala to blue wildebeast. Most have been one shot bang, flop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's no where near as accurate as the 243 yet, but it took a little work to get the 243 their, so I feel this Varmint will get there also.</div></div>

What kinda work did you do to the .243 to get it so accurate?!

Here's a quick question that I hope someone can answer. Is it possible to get a lefty T3 Lite in .22-250? From what I've found, they start at .270.