• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Customize My New Rem. (pics)

JIF

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2013
Land of Oz
I am really impressed with the knowledge and "cool factor" on this Board. In case my intro was missed I am a hunter/shooter for over 40 years and have found shooting to be a bonding factor with my 24 year-old son. i raised him as the "primary residential parent" (just short of full custody in legal terms) since he was one. i have introduced him t handguns which we totally have a great time together. I want to put precision shooting as our next venture together.

now the fun stuff. I have some other things working to really advance my/our growth, but, what would you guys do with this starter platform? give me some guidance on mounts, rings, and compatible scopes with your suggestions.

I want to save some coin for a couple of custom builds so I don't want this to turn into a scope debate. Just give me your ring, mount and scope suggestion for 1000.00 -1500.00 (cheaper the better but can go up on the expense).

I would like to thank everyone individually and especially this forum (those responsible for it).

Peace,
Jeff

Perhaps I should have asked for "building out" my/our new Rem. My son is now in Austria with a racing team but I spilled the beans on this new new rifle. He is really interested in this sport (and I think there is a bit of "art")

Thanks so much my new friends,
Jeff

Last edited:
When you say "customize", i generally think about more than adding a scope.
As for scopes and rings, I have 2. A 10x SWFA ($300) and a 6-24x vortex viper pst fpp (~$1000 or so). Rings, I'm quite happy with the seekins rings (they also make the vortex rings, just use a different logo). They're somewhere around $100-$120. No clue on base, my rifle has it built in.
The vortex should serve you well in it's price range. Been hearing great stuff about the bushnell (H)DMR scopes as well. Might be worth looking in to.

I don't think you should be doing anything else to the rifle right now. Just add scope, bipod, rear bag and some ammo.
Handloading should be the first priority after that.

Replace or tune the trigger if you don't like the current one.
Replace stock with whatever you like if you feel you can do better with it. Try it before buying if possible.
True the action and replace the barrel if it's still not shooting, and you know it's not you.

I would buy good glass now.
You have a rifle there.
Buy a scope that will be what you want to grow and use when you have learned. Best value for both aspects. You may just need a barrel and trigger when this one gets worn and realize that is needed.That and a Triad [small] stock pack.
The rifle is done.
I have a couple rifles like yours and scope mounted very close to the barrel will fit most ergonomically. NF NSX 15X and their Low' light weight rings with a low rail like NF or Leupold will do qiite nicely. My favorite not often supported on this board is MK IV two piece and MK IV med.[lowest] 30mm rings . NF 15x. I'll try to get a photo up.
Good luck.
Hope the kid manages stress well. I burned out 'running' cars.

If I were doing what you're doing with this rifle, I'd go the same route that I have in the past, TPS 20moa bases and TPS rings,(150 bucks for both) Love my Sightron 8-32 scope, under 900 bucks, btw. Jewell trigger or if you like 2 stage triggers, the CG Extreme and have Tom set it as low as it can go, mine is set at 11oz.

All these scopes sell for less than $1,000 - are front focal plain - and hold a good amount of their value on resale. Pick what magnification range you like and you'll be on track. Add a 20 MOA Picatinny rail and decent rings. Nothing fancy is required. Hopefully you'll have a good supply of match grade ammo, or that you can reload your own match grade ammo.

SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

Weaver Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3-15x 50mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments

Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope

Vortex 4-16x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope

Vortex 2.5-10x32 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope

Bushnell DMR with G2 reticle, the old one with 5 mils per rev, and a set of Seekins rings and you will be under $1500 and will have a scope that you won't need to upgrade really. Oh, and an EGW 20 MOA base. Should still be under budget.

I would like to thank everyone for their contributions! I am pretty methodical and have been doing my research and putting together my modifications. I have bought a few things and am going to contact some vendors on others. The options/direction given to me by you guys has been invaluable and so much appreciated.

Thanks everyone,
Chet

Precision Armament Base - has integrated recoil lug and is pretty light weight but still strong - 120.00
AADland Rings (medium height with 50mm obj) - Best rings you can buy IMO very strong 2 recoil lugs into rail - 130.00