• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Customized Leupold value, opinions wanted

Pink_Mist

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2011
Wisconsin
I have a Leupold Product #66535 VX-III 6.5-20X40 30mm w/side focus. MATTE I paid 1,050.00. Their custom shop installed M1 dials and Tactical Milling Reticle $330.00. I have a 2.5" and 4" sunshade thats another $80.00 Buttler Creek Caps $25.00, Leupold ARD $208.00 (honeycomb filter) and lastly steel TPS X-Low rings $98.00 I would put the condition as slightly used (90%) This has been professionally Duracoated matte black to cover the gold ring.

That equals 1,791.00 (excluding Duracoat)

What would you expect someone would pay for the entire package?

Re: Customized Leupold value, opinions wanted

I think you are going to have to have a hard time getting someone to give more than 1000 for that set-up, 1200 has you competing against nightforce. You might have to piece it out. The stock scope is selling for 650-700 on ebay. I just sold a 4.5-14x40 lr for 500 shipped.

You're probably gonna get 600 bucks for it. Realistically, all of that extra stuff means nothing to a buyer. If you tried to tell me you wanted $400 for the shades, caps, ARD, and rings I'd tell you to knock the cost off the scope and keep them. The fact is that at the end of the day it's a used optic, and not a top tier one that holds its value like an S&B, Premier, Henny, even a NF.

Thank you for reading and posting.

It will probably end up on my 10/22 ! Speaking of Nightforce.. I am looking forward to the release of the B.E.A.S.T; which I assume you have heard about. Finally FFP 5-25x56 MRAD ,34mm tube. illum. h-59

Interesting, a VX that was forced to become an LRT.

jakelly is close, JohnnyC is oblivious.

You're looking at $1000 with all the extras, but the extra stuff always means something to most buyers.

The fact that the VXIII was replaced by the VX3 doesn't help much either.

Oblivious? Right. Everybody and their mother gives sunshades away with their scopes, nobody is going to pay for those.

The reticle and knobs are value added but you've gotta find a buyer that wants that combination and Leupold already offers scopes with that combination brand new for a similar price. Rings, maybe a couple bucks but used TPS aren't going to get any sort of premium whatsoever. Nobody is going to pay $200 for an ARD and the Butler Creek caps are a non-starter. That coupled with the fact that it's USED, means you have to find a buyer that's looking for that exact scope, and would want it over something like a Nightforce that is hands down a better scope all around. Yeah, I'm oblivious. Hey you're from AZ too, where can I get whatever you're smoking?

Hate to say it but you got fucked. You started off by paying $220 more than the retail cost of the scope and then got bent over multiple more times. For what you spent you could have had a mil/mil MK4 for less money, or a NF for the same.

If you find somebody that will give you $800 for it then you should sell it. I think you would be doing good to get that for it though.

The first thing you should do is find whoever charged you $1050 for a $800 scope and kick them in the nuts. Then realize you got fucked and never do it again.

I buy and sell used firearms and optics all day long. People have this tendency to think they can get what they paid new for something used! It just doesn't work that way! The scope is an excellent option for multiple applications but with all the modifications you have to find someone that wants all that stuff! I can't tell you how many used cars I passed on because the $4000 rims made it look like hammered dog crap! Your best bet is to put it on eBay! I've seen people pay astronomically for some real junk on there!

Agreed worth 7-800 try ebay. The reticle was a waste of money and worth nothing. Caps are standard these days the filters and sunshades are a bonus but again you have a $500 valued scope with $100-300 worth of accessories to the right person. The 50mm gets an extra $50 on ebay