• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Customizing a 700 Police.

precisionshutr

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2008
LA, CA
I've owned my 700 Police for a few years now and I've put between 1500-2000 rounds through it. I'm tired of not using the magazine as my rounds (setting them at 2.90+ for accuracy) are too long and would like to have a detachable mag. Also want a more accurate gun. I'm looking to have the bolt worked on ((lapped and trued) not that i know what this actually means), adding a match barrel, and muzzle brake.

Any recommendations on:
Gunsmith (preferably in Southern California)? I already spoke with Hoag Gunworks in Granada Hills.
What brand and size barrel?
What brand muzzle brake?
I'm planning on using the HS precision Detachable mag.

Thanks...

Re: Customizing a 700 Police.

Is your barrel inadequate? I had a 700P that shot great with the factory tube!

the barrel is fine, the gun shoots sub Moa at 200 yds but i would like to get it tighter, it's just not the tack driver i'd like it to be. detachable mag and muzzle brake would be welcomed additions as well.

Just an observation to help with accuracy do more shooting. A few thousand rounds in a few years will be hard to have a tack driver, most people here shoot that amount in a few months.

I would suggest ringing the most out of what you have then when the barrel is shot out put a 20-24" Rock on it. As for breaks some people love the badger I prefer the Patriot myself but honestly for a .308 the blast and noise level is not worth it IMO, your spotter will not be happy with you.
Also look into the Badger DBM, Seekins and some others as well as the HS.

I would have it all screwed together by GAP, Patriot or any of the other fine smiths here shipping is cheap!

R&D Precision

Randy is in your neck of the woods and does excellent work at very fair prices. Last I heard he wasn't taking new jobs but that's been awhile, definitely worth asking. Randy built my .308 and it's been an awesome rifle.
DSCF0591.jpg

My best group to date at 500yds
500yards.jpg

what kind of man would shoot the ruler he measures groups with?

I had a 700P,
I recut the chamber just enough to remove the factory chamber,
set the barrel back and trued my receiver,
cut my group size in half with the same loads,
just food for thought,
Andy

I had a 700P that shot like crap with the factory tube. Sent it back to remington and of course they said nothing was wrong. Then sent it to GA Precision and George said the crown was totally screwed and was no wonder it wouldn't shoot. A Rock barrel and action trued and bedded,etc,etc,etc...drives tacks now. Just like all his rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lrt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an observation to help with accuracy do more shooting. A few thousand rounds in a few years will be hard to have a tack driver, most people here shoot that amount in a few months.

I would suggest ringing the most out of what you have then when the barrel is shot out put a 20-24" Rock on it. As for breaks some people love the badger I prefer the Patriot myself but honestly for a .308 the blast and noise level is not worth it IMO, your spotter will not be happy with you.
Also look into the Badger DBM, Seekins and some others as well as the HS.

I would have it all screwed together by GAP, Patriot or any of the other fine smiths here shipping is cheap! </div></div>

Good observation. i bought the gun awhile back, just recently started to get more and more into it and half of the rounds through it have been in the past few months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> R&D Precision

Randy is in your neck of the woods and does excellent work at very fair prices. Last I heard he wasn't taking new jobs but that's been awhile, definitely worth asking. Randy built my .308 and it's been an awesome rifle.
DSCF0591.jpg

My best group to date at 500yds
500yards.jpg
</div></div>

Nice gun and even nicer grouping...thanks for the referal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a 700P,
just food for thought,
Andy </div></div>

That's exactly what i need. When i load for magazine safe it's a sub moa at best, and when i load for .10 off rifling it's a consistent sub 1/2moa gun...

Forgive my ignorance, how is a detachable mag going to help with your over all length problem or make it more accurate?

Basicly you are talking about replacing everything on your rifle except the action right? Buy a Remington 700 youth in .30-06 or .270, any long action caliber with a standard bolt face for $500, trash the barrel and stock on that one and have it built up as a .308, then you OAL problem is gone and you have two rifles that will shoot lights out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneeyedmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forgive my ignorance, how is a detachable mag going to help with your over all length problem or make it more accurate?

Basicly you are talking about replacing everything on your rifle except the action right? Buy a Remington 700 youth in .30-06 or .270, any long action caliber with a standard bolt face for $500, trash the barrel and stock on that one and have it built up as a .308, then you OAL problem is gone and you have two rifles that will shoot lights out. </div></div>

The detachable mag is an addition i want to do, it will not affect accuracy as the rounds max out at 2.8" and not the 2.9"+ i need. as to the buying another gun...i can also just buy the action. I like the idea of building on this gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: precisionshutr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a 700P,
just food for thought,
Andy </div></div>

That's exactly what i need. When i load for magazine safe it's a sub moa at best, and when i load for .10 off rifling it's a consistent sub 1/2moa gun... </div></div>

I am waiting on the return of a 700P that has had basically the same work done on it.

Set back a thread, recut the shoulder for a DD Ross lug, rechamber to M852 spec, shortened the barrel to 22"oal and threaded for a SEI Vortex. I have a Williams floorplate and will bed the barreled action when I am home next.

It was just completed and test fired. From the pics and information back from the shop I will be more than happy.

If you go the route of a set-back and rechamber then when hand loading your bullet oal should be more manageable in the factory internal magazine.

congrats, sounds like you're going to have a fine gun on your hands.

can you elaborat on the DD Ross lug, what purpose it serves? and the rechambering to M852 specs, what specs are those?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: precisionshutr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">congrats, sounds like you're going to have a fine gun on your hands.

can you elaborat on the DD Ross lug, what purpose it serves? and the rechambering to M852 specs, what specs are those? </div></div>

The DD Ross lug is just a heavy duty recoil lug is all. Similar to the Badger, Tubbs and others that are available. It offers a little more strength at securing the barreled action in the stock.

The M852 match spec chamber (google it) is what the smith chose for me. I am planning on only using FGMM 168 & maybe 175 and maybe handloads at some point. The factory chamber's a bit sloppy and long so shooting factory loads "should" produce better results with the match chamber. It's still a factory barrel so I remain optimistic.

initial 300 yard test target from the builder.
Target2.jpg

Have the barrel setback, shortened, and rock on.

sr15match, thanks for the info.
Hooper, that's what i'm leaning towards.
thanks to all for the info.

precisionshutr

Here's my 700P fresh from the builder. As mentioned in my above post. Just to give you an idea.

PSSReturn_8a.jpg

PSSReturn_1a.jpg

PSSReturn_3a.jpg