• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Customizing Tikka...

robert60446

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2009
IL
Hi guys,
Well i'm finally done with all the upgrades and painting for my Tikka. Once it was "innocent" .270 win T3 Stainless Steel model. With some help and ideas from fellow forum members i have decided slightly personalized my rifle so it can display some character...;-)
I have on it now McGowen muzzle brake (installed by good old McGowen himself - i'm lucky enough to know Mr. Harry McGowen - he is still working in his house - as some of you may know McGowen family sold business to new owners in 2007 and they are producing barrels and actions out of Montana now). I have also installed EGW Picatinny Rail, Karsten cheek rest and finally painted to my needs...

Tikka_Camo_3.jpg

Tikka_Camo_2.jpg

Tikka_Camo_1.jpg

I have placed some texture on the grip point, hard to capture on the picture, but i can feel it...;-)

Tikka_Camo_4.jpg

Here is picture with scope - i didn't want to paint scope because i'm thinking about upgrading and it could be difficult to sell camo scope...;-)

Tikka_Camo_5.jpg

Some details...

Tikka_Camo_6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">And this is how rifle looked before...</span>

TIKKA.223.jpg

Re: Customizing Tikka...

Thank you for answering my question whether you can install a Karsten cheek riser on the Tikka stock.
smile.gif
By the way, is the buttstock hollow or solid? That would determine how difficult the install would be.

Thanks!

Hi Pete,
Buttstock is empty shell. Installation took me 5 minutes...

Cool! Thanks. Very nice rifle. What kind of groups are you getting with it?

Looks great guy!

I'm going to send this link to my buddy who just got a Tikka Varmint in .308

-Pat

OP,

Did you free-float the barrel?
There is a support like an arch about 2" back from the front swivel which Sako/Tikka thinks should be there. I have never had any luck going for groups unless a barrel was free-floated. Takes a few seconds with a dremel tool. You might need to open up your barrel channel a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP,

There is a support like an arch about 2" back from the front swivel which Sako/Tikka thinks should be there. I have never had any luck going for groups unless a barrel was free-floated. Takes a few seconds with a dremel tool. You might need to open up your barrel channel a bit.
</div></div>

My barrel floats to this point - i can freely move paper underneath of barrel - (marked with red arrows):
Tikka_Camo_3acopy.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP,

</div></div>

I did exactly what you said. Now the barrel floats free all the way to the receiver...Thanks!

Robert,
Was there any difference in accuracy after removing the middle hump from the forend? I have the same rifle and kills me that out of the box it is one heck of a shooter, hate to mess with a good thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Robert,
Was there any difference in accuracy after removing the middle hump from the forend? I have the same rifle and kills me that out of the box it is one heck of a shooter, hate to mess with a good thing. </div></div>

At 100 yds I couldn't see any difference at all. Bloody thing will punch paper in to the same hole every time...;-)...but i had some issues with too big spread above 200 yds before. Unfortunately i didn't have a chance this time to shoot beyond 100. Hope to do so this Saturday. I will keep you posted.

Have a Tikka T3 , What type and weight factory ammo have you all found shoots best in these guns ?? I am eventually going to reload for this when it gets broke in.

I'm cross-posting this because it is a worthwhile tip for anyone shooting the factory magazines...

FYI for those of you who have tried to use the Tikka T3 action in a single-load-only competition environment (like a Silhouette match).....we know that the .223 version at least is hard to single-load due to the cartridge alignment on top of the magazine. The nose sometimes points down into the barrel shank rather than the chamber.

The solution is actually pretty darn simple. Buy a mag for a T3 in a larger caliber - I have tried both the .308 and the .30-06 mags, and they work just like a "sled" for High Power shooting. Single loading is easy.

Mags too expensive you say? I just bought two to test from www.M4store.net, they got here fast and they were "only" $35 each.