• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Customs & Border Patrol picks the AI Modular Precision Weapon's Platform

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 4.59.26 PM.png

Accuracy International of North America, Inc., has been selected to supply the Modular Precision Weapon
    Platform (MPWP).

This was in response to a solicitation from U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)

The MPWP is a multi-caliber, bolt action AT-X with a short forend, folding stock, AI trigger, and other
    accessories.

This is a single-award, Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contract.

Isn't that the rifle they designed for the PRS, is the 6.5 viable for duty use ?
    Duty use? For the border patrol?

If I was king of America they would be shooting 22mag, and the only authorized shot would be right in the guts. You want them to get back across the border before they succumb. The border would be as empty as a Biden rally after the first weekend.

I’m guessing this is what they will be using to shoot any real American that would dare to defend the border against the ongoing invasion that the BP themselves facilitates to the detriment of the people they pretend to protect.

This is what they should be issued:
    1698719349482.jpeg

Last edited:
    I would like to know the reasoning behind the non standard angle for the grip. There are so many commercial off the shelf solutions, when it is the standard angle.

Last edited:
    Soooooo is a short forend ATX coming down the pipeline? WANT.

I would like to know the reasoning behind the non standard angle for the grip. There are so many commercial off the shelf solutions, when it is the standard angle.

What? They use standard off the shelf Ergo grips from the factory and you can install any standard off the shelf AR-15 grip…

What? They use standard off the shelf Ergo grips from the factory and you can install any standard off the shelf AR-15 grip…
    Maybe I'm not seeing it right, but in the photo the grip appears to be at a different angle. All of you boys that like the 0° grips will be disappointed when they are angled backwards.

It is possible to cleanly cut down an AT-X forend.

Maybe I'm not seeing it right, but in the photo the grip appears to be at a different angle. All of you boys that like the 0° grips will be disappointed when they are angled backwards.

It is possible to cleanly cut down an AT-X forend.

Dude there's literally a huge thread about the ATX and I've read most of it and haven't seen a single person that owns one mention this. There are also pictures of numerous peoples rifles in that thread with straight grips that are straight.

As for cutting one, first of all I'm not going to do that, second I'm not going to take that suggestion from someone who clearly has no experience with them telling me it's possible.

Reactions: BurtG and Nik H
    The solicitation documents are here so you can read the requirements in the Statement of Work and the selection criteria in the RFP (starting at page 42). Requirement was for a 6.5 and 308, with short and long barrels and shooting Hornady ammo. Groups were 5 shots, with the best 4-shots counting towards the standard of 1" with desired 100yd accuracy of 0.4"

If the grip is angled forward (it might be), it's because the end user won't be allowed to swap out grips. They will be issued a rifle and expected to use it as issued.

Reactions: anon
    Dude there's literally a huge thread about the ATX and I've read most of it and haven't seen a single person that owns one mention this. There are also pictures of numerous peoples rifles in that thread with straight grips that are straight.

As for cutting one, first of all I'm not going to do that, second I'm not going to take that suggestion from someone who clearly has no experience with them telling me it's possible.

From the picture, it does seem like the grip might be angled forward like the AXSR. If so, it's an agency only thing.

They will probably buy about 20 of them. Its an IDIQ (unfunded) from an agency that is notoriously underfunded and manned, by design of congress. What a complete waste of time and money to do this solicitation, when they could and should have jumped on the MK22 program and just adopted what their training and partner forces will be using.

These are most likely going to go to BORTAC, which is a pretty small unit but has an interesting mission and even gets their shit on overseas.

I wonder if they got a “deal” for $15K a piece and free soft case 🤣

Reactions: Oldloser
    They will probably buy about 20 of them. Its an IDIQ (unfunded) from an agency that is notoriously underfunded and manned, by design of congress. What a complete waste of time and money to do this solicitation, when they could and should have jumped on the MK22 program and just adopted what their training and partner forces will be using.

These are most likely going to go to BORTAC, which is a pretty small unit but has an interesting mission and even gets their shit on overseas.

My buddy said I’ve bought more AI’s than CBP will buy and he’s probably right 😂

Its a 5.5M total award. IDIQ means Indefinite delivery Indefinite quantity. Its a contract vehicle that allows you to buy UP to the max award. You could also buy 0. It was a small business set aside as well, so you aren't going to get competition from Barret/Sako/beretta/KAC/ect.

I used to write and solicit these all the time. Its just an option to buy X amount at X price, and I dont see any initial award value which means that haven't bought anything yet.

My guess is $10K per rifle with a max of 500 units. That price includes training, spares and travel for factory armorers to train the trainers. These are 1 year contracts with 4 option periods for a 5 year period of performance.

They will probably buy like 20, outfit BORTAC and maybe a few for regional SWAT/CERT or whatever they call themselves. Meanwhile their training partners (US DOD) will be using SR-25 variants and MK22 Barretts. Real smart choice there cotton.

Its a 5.5M total award. IDIQ means Indefinite delivery Indefinite quantity. Its a contract vehicle that allows you to buy UP to the max award. You could also buy 0. It was a small business set aside as well, so you aren't going to get competition from Barret/Sako/beretta/KAC/ect.

I used to write and solicit these all the time. Its just an option to buy X amount at X price, and I dont see any initial award value which means that haven't bought anything yet.

My guess is $10K per rifle with a max of 500 units. That price includes training, spares and travel for factory armorers to train the trainers. These are 1 year contracts with 4 option periods for a 5 year period of performance.

They will probably buy like 20, outfit BORTAC and maybe a few for regional SWAT/CERT or whatever they call themselves. Meanwhile their training partners (US DOD) will be using SR-25 variants and MK22 Barretts. Real smart choice there cotton.

BORTAC is the only unit/s under Border Patrol who have "PMO's." There are sector BTC units and a National BTC unit. "SRT" was dissolved many years ago.

Not having MK22 isn't that big a deal. There's always going to be different gear being utilized by other agencies/depts when you're training. This feels much more like your apparent universal dislike for AI and not actually any experience with agency training.

BORTAC is the only unit/s under Border Patrol who have "PMO's." There are sector BTC units and a National BTC unit. "SRT" was dissolved many years ago.

Not having MK22 isn't that big a deal. There's always going to be different gear being utilized by other agencies/depts when you're training. This feels much more like your apparent universal dislike for AI and not actually any experience with agency training.
    Yea what do I know...only contracted and and equipped similar federal agencies with everything from small arms to thermals and armor.

It has more to do with a super small footprint having a unique system that does not share commonality with everyone they train with. They could save time and money by adopting something that has already been solicited/tested/vetted instead of wasting resources to try and reinvent the wheel.

Has nothing to do with AI. If DOD, the rest of Homeland and DEA were running the same gun, it would make sense.

Which is why I suspect it will be a very low rate purchase and probally replaced by something more practical down the road of the need arises. We see it happen with every gov sws in the last 30 years. Wouldn't be the first time AI is awarded a contract only to shitcan it.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the hat. Not the first time it's gone down like this and won't be the last.

So it's not possible to hack off a handguard? Why?

You could throw it in a mill and even cut it like factory, cerokote it, and nobody would know.

So it's not possible to hack off a handguard? Why?

You could throw it in a mill and even cut it like factory, cerokote it, and nobody would know.

Sure it’s possible to hack it off in a mill. It’s also possible to void your warranty and for the mounts for the bridge to not be in the right position.

I’ll just wait for AI to produce what I want instead of butchering a rifle.

• Haha
    Reactions: BurtG
    Am I the only one without an objection to the long fore end on the AT-X?

I’m sure a lot of people don’t care just like a lot of people prefer it. I’m sure a lot of people also want the ability to run a barrel less than 18.5” and I’m in that group. CBP solicited exactly what I want. Short forend with short 308 and 6.5 barrels.

Ah gotcha, I haven’t measured the inside dimensions of the fore end on mine to see if a 16.5” with a suppressor mount would still have clearance. Definitely a consideration for some.

• Haha
    Sure it’s possible to hack it off in a mill. It’s also possible to void your warranty and for the mounts for the bridge to not be in the right position.

I’ll just wait for AI to produce what I want instead of butchering a rifle.

A machinist would be able to put it all exactly in the correct spot. How do you think they make them in the first place?

From what I've seen from AI, you could get lucky and find a chassis in a few years if they have over-run, or you'll never find one at all.

Am I the only one without an objection to the long fore end on the AT-X?
    Most PRS guns are running 26 in bbls, with long forends. Assuming CBP are probably wanting the the option to run 16-22in bbls. Shortening the forend by X amount (eg, 4-10in) that keeps the same amound of clearance to the muzzle threads, is probably what they are thinking.

Just my $0.02.

Maybe someone will chime in with a better explanation.

Not without engineering drawings.

With CNC programs made off solid models made with reference to engineering drawings which include linear and geometric dimensions and their tolerances.

Seriously?

A decently competent machinist could measure, cut, rework, and you'd never know.

So you think the CNC just does all it's own work? They're crazy in the stuff they can do. This is not crazy though, and fairly basic if you can read a caliper, mic, and dro.

Couldn’t solicit fucking mlok? Cmon.

Keyslot is the most masculine of attachment points being shaped like a hard on.

Key mod is just a weaker semi flaccid hard on, like a limp dick it’s not good for anything.

MLok is what a gash looks like that has been stretched out by too many hard on’s.

In all seriousness just how much shit do we need to hang off the fore end that can’t be accomplished with the Keyslot pic rails, sling attachment/pic rails, and the ARCA rail? Stuff is available and once you have it it’s functional, so I for one am kind of ambivalent. Certainly not going to lose sleep over it.

• Haha
    Does anyone know what scope got the contract to go with the gun?

I have talked to several BP at the range and in the shop about this thread and the rifle . One had seen this thread already . He thought this was some kind of fantasy gaming site at first . General consensus about the speculation and bullshit about the subject was ...where the hell do these keyboard cowboys come up with this shit ? They also wanted me to post this link .

Last edited: