• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cut away photos for Rem 700

Re: Cut away photos for Rem 700

Here is the bolt:
700-bolt-face.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very kool. I have a throw away bolt I might do that to. Did you just mill it?</div></div>

I got the pic from benchrest.com .... I assume he just milled it.

Thank you! I have been looking for these for a while now.

Here is a cut away of a Factory Remington 700 .22-250 chamber. It obviously had been used. It was off of a rebarreling job that I did, I used the forward part of the barrel and made a 1/2 MOA AR-15 barrel out of it.

Notice the ring at the beginning of the chamber, it was stamping my brass making it look like partial case head separation.

DSC03893.jpg

DSC03888.jpg

DSC03886.jpg

Looking at the 1st pic above from Rovieairto, is it important that the amount taken off of figure Y be equally removed from Fig. X to acheive proper headspace or will that be corrected in the chambering process. also Should the equal amount be removed from the bolt lug as well.

6.81star
No. If I am understanding your question. I am assuming you are lapping lugs and trueing the action face and want to know where to take up the slack so to speak.

You will make the adjustments to the shoulder, barrel shank length and depth of the bolt nose recess then headspace with a reamer and go gauge. With the bolt inserted in the action and fully in battery measure from the front of the locking lugs to the action face, add the thickness of the recoil lug, then subtract the amount of clearance you want say for instance .005. That will give you your tennon length. Measure the length of your bolt nose and add your desired clearance, say .005. That will be the depth of your bolt nose recess. You will then use a go gauge and reamer to set your headspace.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.81star</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at the 1st pic above from Rovieairto, is it important that the amount taken off of figure Y be equally removed from Fig. X to acheive proper headspace or will that be corrected in the chambering process. also Should the equal amount be removed from the bolt lug as well. </div></div>

Plus you won't make the bolt handle go farther back from the camming surface....