• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cut barrel down?

14Dandy

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
MN
I have a 24" dpms lr 308. I would like to cut the barrel down 20". Is that going to cause any prblems with the gas system or cycling problems?

Re: Cut barrel down?

No, but while you are at it you may as well re contour the barrel to a lighter weight.

I've thought of that to. It needs a diet. What would be the best length to cut it to without encountering cycling/gas problems?

I had my AR10 cut to 18", It was a 10T...love it now.. Guy in OH did it for me, shipped it to him, he goes by Slash over on AR15.com, if you need his contact info let me know.

My DPMS started life as a 24" but I had it cut down to 20" by Compass Lake Eng. for $45,they also threaded it for a YHM comp and the rifle runs great.

Short barrels are quite a fad now. I do not understand it. They are louder, shoot slower and give more blast. In thier favor, they should be a bit more accurate, but not worth the cost in noise and velocity loss, loss of trajectory more wind drift etc. JMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short barrels are quite a fad now. I do not understand it. They are louder, shoot slower and give more blast. In thier favor, they should be a bit more accurate, but not worth the cost in noise and velocity loss, loss of trajectory more wind drift etc. JMO</div></div>

Yes but they serve a purpose. Not everyone wants to shoot to 1000 yards with them. Tactically speaking they serve a purpose. They may not be able to stand up to long barreled 260's or 6.5's but the rifle wasn't designed to do that.

The main reason I want to cut it down is to lighten it up and make it easier to carry around. I would have liked to leave it 24 but it just isn't working for me. I do agrea it will be louder and more blast, but there are trade offs with everything. I just don't like the way it feels now so I need to do something. I hate selling guns
eek.gif