• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cut my action screws today

baddeerhunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2011
Omaha, NE
I had to cut my action screws to fit a new stock & bottom metal today. It's a Bell & Carlson A5 with a Seekins bottom metal. The factory action screws where both too long. So I threaded on a nut up to the number of threads I wanted to cut off, plus one more thread, and used the nut some what as a guide for the cutting wheel on the dremmel tool. It looks like I cut one or two, too many threads off of the rear action screw (the screw is inset further than the factory look). I really doubt it's going to reduce strucural intergrity enough to raise an eyebrow but I do want to get your opinion on that issue. Should I be concerned?

I've got another set of action screws and I could re-do it but if it's not necessary, I'm not going to mess with it.

Re: Cut my action screws today

The rule of thumb i was taught was a 3/8 headed (not thread dia) needed 3/8 of an inch length into the thread to be secure, and so on. You'll be fine.

It's probably OK, but with as little thread engagement as action screws get - I MAXIMIZE whats available. If it were me, I'd try again. Provided you're not dealing with a Winchester/FN, they're jyst 1/4-28 and you can buy socket head cap screws at tge hardware store. Win/FN requires a Brownells order....I'd like to beat the ass of the jerkoff that thought 1/4-32 was a good idea...@&%$%*!!

If it has Seekins bottom metal then factory gun screws most likely are not going to work. They have the wrong head... If you need some screws let me know and i can send you a couple. If you have socket head cap screws your good to go
smile.gif

"I'd like to beat the ass of the jerkoff that thought 1/4-32 was a good idea...@&%$%*!!" Punch him for me too. Thanks in advance for the violence. Paul.

www.boltfluting.com

Glen I sent you a PM on those screw's with a couple other questions for you.

It sounds like I'll be getting the screw's that Glen mentioned so I'll have a chance to re-cut these and hopefully have a better outcome. Thanks for your input everyone.