• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cutting a barrel down, What length?

GMAC7949

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2009
Texas
I have a Rem 700 varment in 308, it has a 26" barrel. I'm wanting to shorten the barrel and recrown.
I will be using for hunting and shooting at range out to 1k yards.
what length would be best, wanted 20" but was woundering if 21" or 22" would be better?
I wanted to be shorter for weight and I like the look!

Re: Cutting a barrel down, What length?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongShot94</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lowlight uses a 18.5 out to 1k </div></div>

cant compare the two, LL is running a tight bore barrel IIRC.

Come on guys, Dont tell me no one has done this.
Just need a little input,
Positive:
Negative:

I will be reloding in the near future so I will be posting a thread later to find out about proper powder to optimize the length of barrel to get a full burn before the bullet exits.

My bottom metal will be shipped from Seekins this next week and the parts will be going to the gun smith to be inleted, the action trued, barrel cut and recrowned.

I cut the factory barrel on my Savage 10 down to 18", and would do it again in a heartbeat. It is lighter, balances better, and I am still getting 2750 fps from my handloads with 155 scenars. I am not one to care too much about group sizes, though. As long as I am hitting what I'm aiming at, that's all I care about, so I don't have any group measurements to give. I have only shot it out to 500 yards, and was pretty happy with the results. Take it for what it's worth.

I think you will have a hard time finding someone that will say they cut down to 20" and say they regret it and wish they had left the barrel length. The minor loss in velocity is made up for in increased accuracy, easier handling, and the 20" .308 is still a 1K rifle...

I cut my sav 10fcp down to 20" and love it. would definitely do it again.

LM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you will have a hard time finding someone that will say they cut down to 20" and say they regret it and wish they had left the barrel length. The minor loss in velocity is made up for in increased accuracy, easier handling, and the 20" .308 is still a 1K rifle... </div></div>

+1 And look at the popularity of the sps tactical with a factory 20"

I'm somewhat shocked to see all the people who love a shorter barrel when most highpower competitors are using custom tubes that are long for a given cartridge (30"+ sometimes even in .308).

I wouldn't go any shorter than 20". I don't see any reason why a 20" wouldn't shoot great, though.

I have had several tubes shortened to the 20" mark. My latest test project is a 700P .308 and had it shortened to 22"oal but added an Ops Inc brake. It might just get cut more but 22" is where it's at for now.

I prefer the shorted barrel combo myself. As mentioned above, weight and balance. Unless I needed something very compact/portable, I won't go less then 20". If I need shorter then I'll invest in a folding stock.

remmie LTR is a 20" and has no issues reaching 1K with handloads. 20" does show a little more flash with factory loads that are optimized for longer tubes, but if you are willing to experiment with different powders and handload, that can be dealt with by powder choice.

I'm having a 308 cut to 16.5" - it's at the 'smith right now.

If I can get 2450-2500 with 175 SMKs, I will be happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insert Name Here</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm having a 308 cut to 16.5" - it's at the 'smith right now.

If I can get 2450-2500 with 175 SMKs, I will be happy. </div></div>

It's gone to be LOUD unless you are running a can. My buddy has a Rem 600 with an 18.5 inch barrel and it it noticeable louder that a 22-24 inch barrel.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you will have a hard time finding someone that will say they cut down to 20" and say they regret it and wish they had left the barrel length. The minor loss in velocity is made up for in increased accuracy, easier handling, and the 20" .308 is still a 1K rifle... </div></div>

Jsut curious, how do u get increased accuracy ?

From what I have been told is that it cuts down on harmonic vibration due to the shorter barrel being more ridged.
A longer barrel has more flex than a shorter one.
as I said this is what I have been told.

But on the down side is you loose fps.
around 35 fps per inch

I cut from 26 to 20.5, and lost a whopping 80 fps. That's less than 15 fps per inch.

For getting to 1K with the 308, bullet choice is far more critical than differences in barrel length between 20-26" or so.

20" seems to be about as short as you want to go.

Another vote for 20" - out to 1k with no issues. Running a SWR Omega suppressor.

DSC04982.JPG

do any of you guys run 175gr SMK out of a 20"?

insert name here let me know when you get your 16.5 done im lookin to g sme length on a 308 proj and maybe a 223

What about a 300 WSM built by GAP 1/11 1/4 twist how short can I go ???????????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongShot94</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lowlight uses a 18.5 out to 1k </div></div>

cant compare the two, LL is running a tight bore barrel IIRC. </div></div>
Tight bore doesn't really offer any significant advantages. Infact; Obermeyer is currently working on "loose bore" barrels!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do any of you guys run 175gr SMK out of a 20"?</div></div>

I am..with a Omega 30 hanging off the end...still working on loads...had a scale prob that gave me some screwy weights...was getting average 2650 with 44 grains varget

Have not tryed it to see what its running without the can

Shot my 20" 1-12- twist Rock barrreld rifle this weekend out to 1000 yds.Found it can accurately reach 1000yds with 168 amaxes, and 155 scenars handloads.Didnt shoot my 175 smks though.hope it helps ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: single shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about a 300 WSM built by GAP 1/11 1/4 twist how short can I go ??????????? </div></div>

Yours will require some load tinkering to get the velocity back. I am playing with a 22.5" 7WSM and found that my go-to load for my 24" loses a ton of velocity with the 1.5" drop (-150 FPS).

But switching to 4831 sc from RL 22 helps--and i am thinking RL 17 will help even more.

Yep, figured we'd get around to this part. Tweaking loads (upward, obviously) to regain velocity.

A) Velocity and accuracy have no linkage.

B) Just a guess, but such tweaking probably shortens bore life by about as much as it shortens barrel length.

Folks, there's just no way around it, short and stubby works better with hotrods than it does with rifle barrels. If you want something that waves around real nifty, get a carbine. Bolt guns aren't much good indoors. Semiauto carbines, only slightly better.

Indoors, handguns and short shotguns would appear, at least to me, to do better. Outdoors, I still don't see any advantage to short, unless YOU are short. It's like saying smaller wheels make the car go faster.

Greg

Greg-

Things are not always so black and white. You can also reduce barrel length in an effort to cut weight. After a few relatively active tactical matches I came to realize two very important things. 1) shooting .308 is a major handicap and 2) 19 lb rifles belong on the bench!!

Being that I just purchased a barreled action with a 28" Bartlein MTU contour barrel and had an extra HTG stock, I was most of the way there. Some deep flutes and a healthy wack with the chopsaw and VIOLA--14lbs with optics.

First 5 rds of load testing got me 2835 with a 162 amax-- in other words--7.7 mils to 1000. Its a helluva start on a very user friendly platform. At 2950--which should be readily attainable, its an even 7 mils. Sure, I could get the same ballistics in a 6mm or 6.5-but I already had the 7wsm, and you still need a long barrel with 6s and 6.5s.

I'll happily sacrifice a little barrel life for a purpose built rifle.

The reason for my questions on this thread was I wanted a accurate rifle, good for shooting out to 1K and shorten it up a bit for weight so when Im hunting with it its not a back breaker to carry and will be easy to manuver in a deer blind.
The gun has a 26" barrel, and its going to be 21" when done.
this should be good out 1k with some playing around with loads and be great for whitetale out to 500.