• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cutting a Chamber

6.81star

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2008
Nebraska
Is there anyone that uses a CNC Lathe to cut chambers and thread barrels. Is there any reason I could not use this techinque not only would it save buying a reamer I think it would be easier to setup. I would think you could easily dailed the center of the barrel into .0001 and then cut your chamber from a blueprint or such. your thoughts. I have access to many live tooling Okumas and even a multus so the machinery is avaible.

Re: Cutting a Chamber

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you keep a tool bit that small from chattering? </div></div>

that would be my concern. having a bar small enough diameter to cut the throat/lead and long enough to reach in there would be pretty flexible.

I'm not a machinist or 'smith but I don't know how you would tell where to put your datum line for headspace. I have thought about doing a straight walled case w/o a reamer, but short of a CNC EDM I don't know how to go about doing a bottle neck chamber w/o a reamer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are people that are cutting chambers with cnc. Most of the them are using high end cnc"s. Ask lilja. </div></div>

are they fully cnc cutting the chamber with a boring bar or are they still pushing a reamer?

Yes it can be done! You can also grind the chamber dimentions after you machined them. BUT COST...We make internal diameter parts with all kinds of profiles in them. Hold diametrical tolerances to .000025 yes 25 millionths.....there is 4 of them in a tenth for those who cant count. So it can be done but i cant see why you would want to. I am told that some of the production gun companies are doing this over seas.