• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cutting a inch off a new custom barrel?

tuckybill

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2007
Kentucky
Just got a new barrel from Bartlein. Featherweight SS for a .257 Roberts going on a HVA action. My question is how vital is cutting a inch off the muzzle end? Could I get away with say cutting 1/2" inch? I would like for it be as long as I can get it. If anyone out there has a opinion on the 1 inch vs. the 1/2" I would be glad to hear it. Thanks.

Re: Cutting a inch off a new custom barrel?

I'd take an inch off, and then make a gage out of that piece (turn/face/partial chamber to shoulder).

But that's just me....

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd take an inch off, and then make a gage out of that piece (turn/face/partial chamber to shoulder).

But that's just me....

Bill </div></div>

+1 thats a good idea. Just a wack and recrown and your GTG.

i haven't fitted a bartline yet but both broughtons said to cut 1-1/4" off. i think it was a krieger barrel that had a saw mark to indicate how much to cut off. rock barrels didn't say or have any visible marks but i cut 1-1/4"+ off of them.

that end that you are supposed to cut off is because of the way the bore is lapped. i think i'd cut at least 1-1/4" off a barrel unless i had an indication that the lapping process was completed further than that. i'm new at this so i could be wrong, it has happened before on rare occasions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i haven't fitted a bartline yet but both broughtons said to cut 1-1/4" off. i think it was a krieger barrel that had a saw mark to indicate how much to cut off. rock barrels didn't say or have any visible marks but i cut 1-1/4"+ off of them.

that end that you are supposed to cut off is because of the way the bore is lapped. i think i'd cut at least 1-1/4" off a barrel unless i had an indication that the lapping process was completed further than that. i'm new at this so i could be wrong, it has happened before on rare occasions. </div></div>

The barrels with the saw marks were probably Lilja. Krieger doesn't put the saw cut on his.

The real reason to cut the inch off the Bartlein and Kriegers is due to them being cut-rifled. The rifling is not uniform on the muzzel end due to the nature of the rifling cutting having to reset on each cutting stroke. There is also some inconsistency to the others due to the lapping.

slug that barrel and feel what has been done to the barrel when it was lapped. this is a good starting point to see how much you HAVE to cut off. good shooting!!