• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cutting and Threading a Barrel

ncyotecaller

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 10, 2009
McLeansville, NC
I was interesting to cutting my barrel down and having it threaded, my question is do you buy the knurled thread protectors or are they custom made by the gunsmith doing the work. I may also consider putting a Vias brake on it that I can take on and off.

Re: Cutting and Threading a Barrel

I advise you to research the current wait time at Tornado Tech before you send anything.
shocked.gif

CHRIS

Give Roscoe a call , work is awsome and turn around time is among the best I've seen.

http://www.louisianaprecisionrifles.com/

You can't get a cap "prefit" thats going to fit nearly as well as if the guy that threads the barrel makes it at the same time and can hand fit it.
My oppinion , have the cap made at the same time by the same person that threads the barrel

you can get either. Most smiths will want to make one for your particular barel diameter so the the finish is as close as possible. The knurling is simple.....

I just received a couple of AW barrels in 6.5 CM and 6.5x47L that GA Precision built and Moon threaded the muzzles and put the slickest looking knurled thread protectors on them.

I much prefer these custom thread protectors that match the barrel contour but it is a looks only issue. The premade one function fine.

I would suggest sending it to GA Precision. They do excellent work.

Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

George is not accepting any parts work until August 1. Full builds only through the summer.

Good luck

Jerry

I thought I just read that GAP will still take light work like barrels and knobs because it doesnt slow down the shop. There is another thread from GAP on here about that.

What can you expect from an accuracy standpoint if you cut a 24 or 26 inch barrel down to say 20? I've heard some say don't do it. Leave length as is and just thread.

Plenty of discussion on that here, bro, way more than anyone would care to read.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcalaustx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What can you expect from an accuracy standpoint if you cut a 24 or 26 inch barrel down to say 20? I've heard some say don't do it. Leave length as is and just thread. </div></div>

My 308 has a 20" barrel and it shoots just as good if not better than my 24". I think it has more to do with the maker of the barrel more than the length. I have talked to some people that have them even shorter about 18.5 with a brake installed and they are some shit hot guys.

My reason to want to cut down my Remington is I will use it for hunting only as I don't punch paper unless I am sighting in my scopes for hunting seasons. I feel the 20" length will serve just fine as a predator/calling gun and the decrease in velocity is not an issue as far as that is concerned. I baisacially want it to look like a LTR that is stainless with a spiderweb H.S stock on it.