• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Cutting and threading a barrel

Libertas

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2009
Southern Indiana
Anyone have any experience of having their barrel cut down and threaded for a can? Will this affect accuracy, etc.? Thanks in advance.

Re: Cutting and threading a barrel

I hate it when people tell me to search google if i wanted to do that i wouldve done it in the first place

Just make sure who ever does it makes the threads concentric with the bore, not the out side of the barrel.

Using Google to search the Hide (versus the SH search button near the top of the page) will yield the results you need. This question (barrel threading) comes up A LOT by newbs and has been beaten to death (revived from the dead and beaten some more).

Also, asking a generic question like will cutting and threading my barrel effect accuracy isn't very helpful to anyone reading your post. What kind of rifle? What are the specs on your barrel? Caliber? Suppressor you intend to use? Etc.? Etc.?

You also have to realize the just the act of attaching a suppressor to a rifle (or pistol) has an impact on POI and potentially accuracy. Try running a search, reading some of the enormous amount of good information here and elsewhere.

Good luck.

Start here by researching the can you want to get. There were just some good topics covering that. Then there are several gunsmiths here that could do what you want done and that would provide work for the members here. You will want to be discussing/researching if the barel length you have can be shortened to make it optimal for what you shoot depending on caliber of your rifle. Adding a can to your rifle will help in several ways. Almost always improves accuracy, allows you to shoot without ear protection, and reduces felt recoil and muzzle blast signature which also helps to improve shooter accuracy. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiredassassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate it when people tell me to search google if i wanted to do that i wouldve done it in the first place </div></div>

Really? Chances are,you'll be pretty pissed off when you ask a question that has already been discussed-over and over again.Using the search can get you alot of information-immediately.

There are over 35,000 members. With 73752 topics discussed.You have a choice.

Lt Arclight
I have always enjoyed your insight and wisdom here. Just so you know that was'nt the original poster who made that comment.
just attempting to point the beating in the right direction:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keithtb1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lt Arclight
I have always enjoyed your insight and wisdom here. Just so you know that was'nt the original poster who made that comment.
just attempting to point the beating in the right direction:) </div></div>

Absolutely.My post was not directed at you.Welcome to the Hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiredassassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate it when people tell me to search google if i wanted to do that i wouldve done it in the first place </div></div>

Most here hate it when a new guy with eleven posts says stupid shit. Have you considered that when you are told to go search it is because you should have done that in the first place and shown some initiative to educate yourself rather than ask an elementary question that noone wants to retype the answer to.

One thing many people seem to forget it that when cutting down a chrome lined bore, is that if the chrome chips (very likely) then you have the same thing as a really big nick in one of the places that is most important to overall accuracy..the muzzle.

Can anyone direct me to a good smith to have a barrel cut/threaded/muzzle device pinned?

Just looking for recommended smiths for the job...

Didn't mean to stir up a shitstorm. I simply asked a question. I find it amazing that so many people get bent out of shape and take longer to post instead of just ignoring my obviously way-too-often-asked question.

ORD, your questions were logical and I apologize for not being more specific. Thank you, as this is the kind of interaction I was seeking. I have a JP Enterprises CTR-02 in a 6.5 Grendel with the tactical compensator on the end of the barrel. I have an AAC M4-2000 specifically in 6.5 (VERY low serial number) and did not want to buy another gun just for the can. Any scoop on optimum length of barrel? I am a civilian and will not be using this to make a living, just recreational shooting and making as small holes as possible.
Thanks in advance for the productive input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Libertas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't mean to stir up a shitstorm. I simply asked a question. I find it amazing that so many people get bent out of shape and take longer to post instead of just ignoring my obviously way-too-often-asked question.

ORD, your questions were logical and I apologize for not being more specific. Thank you, as this is the kind of interaction I was seeking. I have a JP Enterprises CTR-02 in a 6.5 Grendel with the tactical compensator on the end of the barrel. I have an AAC M4-2000 specifically in 6.5 (VERY low serial number) and did not want to buy another gun just for the can. Any scoop on optimum length of barrel? I am a civilian and will not be using this to make a living, just recreational shooting and making as small holes as possible.
Thanks in advance for the productive input. </div></div>

See...that gives a WHOLE LOT MORE perspective to this discussion.

First, the 6.5 Grendel is a different beast than your standard 5.56/7.62 type AR in some respects so that information was certainly important to your original question. Also, I assume that you have the standard CTR-02 barrel for the 6.5G which is 22" IIRC. Bill Alexander (creator of the Grendel) has said that the optimum, all-around barrel length for the 6.5G is 20". This gives an excellent balance between long-range performance, muzzle velocity, etc., etc. Bill has also said that the 18" barrel on the 6.5G is a more ideal hunting barrel because of the reduction in weight, increased portability, etc., and the fact that extended ranges (1,000yds) is not likely as much of consideration for most hunting applications. If you are going to use it primarily as a range rifle, I'd go with 20"...otherwise if you want something more portable, go down to 18". Both will be extremely effective and accurate performers and will still retain 1,000yd capability although you will lose some edge to the longer barrel at those ranges.

As for the act of cutting it down, if the barrel is properly cut down, contoured, threaded and recrowned by a qualified gunsmith who is comfortable with such operations, you SHOULD not see any reduction in accuracy. I recommend Steve at ADCO to perform this service for you. He has done AR-10 barrel jobs for me for similar purposes. His work is high quality, consistent, reasonably priced, and his turn-around is pretty fast also. Check here:

http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/

Good luck...post up some pictures of your setup when you have time (before and after shots would be good too)!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Libertas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't mean to stir up a shitstorm. I simply asked a question. I find it amazing that so many people get bent out of shape and take longer to post instead of just ignoring my obviously way-too-often-asked question.

Thanks in advance for the productive input. </div></div>

See...that gives a WHOLE LOT MORE perspective to this discussion.

First, the 6.5 Grendel is a different beast than your standard 5.56/7.62 type AR in some respects so that information was certainly important to your original question. Also, I assume that you have the standard CTR-02 barrel for the 6.5G which is 22" IIRC. Bill Alexander (creator of the Grendel) has said that the optimum, all-around barrel length for the 6.5G is 20". This gives an excellent balance between long-range performance, muzzle velocity, etc., etc. Bill has also said that the 18" barrel on the 6.5G is a more ideal hunting barrel because of the reduction in weight, increased portability, etc., and the fact that extended ranges (1,000yds) is not likely as much of consideration for most hunting applications. If you are going to use it primarily as a range rifle, I'd go with 20"...otherwise if you want something more portable, go down to 18". Both will be extremely effective and accurate performers and will still retain 1,000yd capability although you will lose some edge to the longer barrel at those ranges.

As for the act of cutting it down, if the barrel is properly cut down, contoured, threaded and recrowned by a qualified gunsmith who is comfortable with such operations, you SHOULD not see any reduction in accuracy. I recommend Steve at ADCO to perform this service for you. He has done AR-10 barrel jobs for me for similar purposes. His work is high quality, consistent, reasonably priced, and his turn-around is pretty fast also. Check here:

http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/

Good luck...post up some pictures of your setup when you have time (before and after shots would be good too)! </div></div>

That's an excellent response! Everyone was a newbie once. I have a low post count because I do a lot more reading than posting. Some people have high post counts with "+1, tagged, nice, me too". I take their word as gosspel, LOL. PS: Adco is good to go.