• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cutting and threading a fluted barrel?

Mo_Zam_Beek

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2002
OR_GUN
I have a fluted Rock Creek from GAP with 5 deep flutes and I want to cut and thread it at a point within the fluted area. The width of barrel at the point that I want to cut it is @ 1" and flutes are @ 5mm deep. Is this going to be a problem?

TIA

Re: Cutting and threading a fluted barrel?

you lost me by using metric and standard measurements in one sentence
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5mm is .204" </div></div>

i think 5mm is actually .1968" but i was mostly just being a smart ass
grin.gif

but now that i did the math, if your flutes are really .1968" deep and the barrel is 1.000" od, where you want to thread it, that leaves you with a maximum diameter of .606". that's just too small for a 5/8-24 thread. you'll need to step down to a 9/16 thread which is going to limit you on muzzle device styles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5mm is .204" </div></div>

grin.gif

but now that i did the math, if your flutes are really .1968" deep and the barrel is 1.000" od, where you want to thread it, that leaves you with a maximum diameter of .606". that's just too small for a 5/8-24 thread. you'll need to step down to a 9/16 thread which is going to limit you on muzzle device styles. </div></div>

"assuming" there are six flutes, and he cuts a decent thread, don't you think the interrupted thread will be plenty strong for a muzzle break and/or can? (5/8" NF)

thats what happens when you think you hit 4 twice and it was only once. always double check your math.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5mm is .204" </div></div>

grin.gif

but now that i did the math, if your flutes are really .1968" deep and the barrel is 1.000" od, where you want to thread it, that leaves you with a maximum diameter of .606". that's just too small for a 5/8-24 thread. you'll need to step down to a 9/16 thread which is going to limit you on muzzle device styles. </div></div>

"assuming" there are six flutes, and he cuts a decent thread, don't you think the interrupted thread will be plenty strong for a muzzle break and/or can? (5/8" NF) </div></div>

sure it would be strong enough to hold on a muzzle device but it would be pretty cheesy in my opinion. but then again, i think turning and threading into the flutes is cheesy so my opinion on this matter may be biased from the get go
grin.gif