• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Cutting barrel length on a revolver?

Pigman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2011
Katy, TX
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to buy either a Taurus or S&W .44 mag. I'm really liking the Taurus 4 inch .44 mags but I can't find one without a ported barrel. I'm going to be carrying it at the ranch and a charging hog isn't going to stop and let me put my earplugs in so I really don't want a ported barrel. Is it possible to buy a Taurus 6 inch .44 mag and get a gunsmith to cut the barrel down to 4 inches and relocate the front sight?

Re: Cutting barrel length on a revolver?

Sure, Pinnacle does this, so does APW, and Clark and I'm sure there are many others that would do this as well. I have had 1911 work done by Clark and APW, and I'm sure their revolver work is along the same level of quality (IE awesome). I have a 629 6.5" ported barrel I've been tempeted to cut down if I end up keepng it, (I have a serious case of gun ADD, and may trade it if something peaks my interest). Should be a pretty quick and dirty job, with not too bad of a turn around time..

Treat yourself and get the S&W (or even a Ruger second), you will be much happier in the long run.

I think the trigger is much better on the S&W. the S&W is also more smooth

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thunderin300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure, Pinnacle does this, so does APW, and Clark and I'm sure there are many others that would do this as well. I have had 1911 work done by Clark and APW, and I'm sure their revolver work is along the same level of quality (IE awesome). I have a 629 6.5" ported barrel I've been tempeted to cut down if I end up keepng it, (I have a serious case of gun ADD, and may trade it if something peaks my interest). Should be a pretty quick and dirty job, with not too bad of a turn around time..</div></div>

This pretty much answers my question. Thank you.

And I'd love to get a S&W but I might be getting a dog soon so the gun budget will be tight at around $500-600. If I don't get a dog though it will be more like $1000 which in that case, I'll most likely be able to afford a S&W. We'll see...

Really don't think if you're shooting a charging hog you're gonna notice the difference between having a really short barreled ported 44 mag and a really short barreled non-ported 44 mag. Both are gonna have one hell of a blast.

Topstrap