• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cutting Case Foam

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I just built my hot wire cutter to cut some case foam. Is the NiChrome wire necessary? Could I use stainless wire? Im using the radioshack transformer / dimmer switch defice to heat the wire.

Re: Cutting Case Foam

I used the small string out of a pack of Ernie Ball #9 guitar strings
whistle.gif

How many times do you plan to use it? Standard steel wire will fail sooner from repeated heating and cooling but you will be able to get a few cases cut before the standard steel fails.

Kirk R

i found a roll of stainless wire at the craft store. Like 100yds worth. I have no idea what the thickness is. It seems pretty thin. I have 2 cases to cut. If I have to replace the wire, im not worried about that. I have a bunch of it. I just dont know if the transformer I got from radioshack will be enough to heat up the wire.

ive seen a few done with a kitchen knife, and the cuts are no where near as straight and clean as ones done with a hot wire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just built my hot wire cutter to cut some case foam. Is the NiChrome wire necessary? Could I use stainless wire? Im using the radioshack transformer / dimmer switch defice to heat the wire. </div></div>

can you post a pic of your little device in action

Tag fot later

I cut a few with a electric knife, next time I am going to make a Hot wire cutter!